Is NSA leaker, Edward Snowden, a courageous patriot or has he threatened nationa

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (24 posts)
  1. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 10 years ago

Is NSA leaker, Edward Snowden, a courageous patriot or has he threatened national security?

Snowden has taken responsibility for working with the NSA to direct widespread surveillance on the public. He recently told The Guardian, "I, sitting at my desk, certainly had the authorities to wiretap anyone, from you or your accountant, to a federal judge or even the president, if I had a personal e-mail." Do you feel Snowden's exposing the truth is 1. courageous and patriotic, or 2. has compromised national security?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8088690_f260.jpg

2. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

Mr. Snowden has shown courage by his actions.  He has only compromised the agencies blatant disregard for the 4th Amendment to the Constitution.  If the security bureaus wish to actually protect the patriotic citizens of this nation, then they need to focus on the terrorist groups, not the entire citizenry.  It is obvious that "Political Correctness" in this matter has risen to an injustice through discrimination against honest citizens.  Big brother does not need to know how many times I call my wife, friends, barber, baker, doctor, clergy, or butcher.  If they were doing their job correctly - Mr. Snowden would not be forced to divulge their outrageous antics.

1. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A question, how do you separate terrorists and spies from honest citizens without checking out  innocent people. Spies are not clearly marked, neither are honest people. Your neighbor could be a spy and you might be talking to him over the fence.

2. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Larry Wall.No one is clearly marked, of course. I think what people are getting fed up with is that precise reasoning is being used as excuse by gov to snoop into everyone's lives, with or without probable cause.

3. Express10 profile image86
      Express10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Information is being gathered without warrant or justification and it's not right. One can learn a lot about people that they don't want others to know just by watching. That doesn't make them safe, just makes the watchers nosy & over reaching.

3. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 10 years ago

My first thought is that he's a patriot for exposing the truth.
    But.........I haven't read much about his involvement yet.......so I'm withholding final assessment until I learn more.

1. bethperry profile image83

That's fair enough, Brenda smile

2. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've seen the video where he explains why he has done this, and read the reports, he is a hero and will possibly end up dead for his patriotism, for he has exposed dark forces who are seemingly plotting to overthrow democracy.

3. Judah's Daughter profile image79
      Judah's Daughterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If they make him 'disappear', he will DIE a HERO, NOT a COWARD.  He has asylum now.  He was smart enough to LEAVE the Country before exposing this US Government corruption.  Edward has true INTELLIGENCE and is an AMERICAN HERO, one we ARE PROUD OF.

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

Anyone who does not believe their government spies on it's citizens has their head buried in the sand. This is especially true after the events of 9-11.
    His decision to go to Hong Kong which is ruled by Communist China who without a doubt spies on it's own citizens makes no sense.
    The CIA, FBI, NSA have always used surveillance tools to detect  would be foreign and domestic terrorist actions. During the Bush era more leeway was given to the government in hopes of preventing another 9-11. I'm sure what Snowden has done by revealing to the world how the U.S. gathers information will be viewed by many military and government officials as an act of treason. Terrorists and criminals will now pursue new avenues to conduct their activities.
    In all honesty I don't believe too many citizens are losing sleep over this issue. It's not like the government is going to suddenly stop spying on us. Worrying about things you cannot control is a waste of time and energy.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

House Speaker John Boehner today called NSA leaker Edward Snowden a "traitor" who put Americans at risk by releasing classified information to the media."The disclosure of this information puts Americans at risk." It's rare both parties agree.

2. bethperry profile image83

Unfortunately for Boehner, he's earned the nickname "Cave Man" for his tendency to cave to Dem objectives. So I'm not sure how earnest his criticisms here could be weighed.

3. dashingscorpio profile image79

When it comes to National security issues Republicans have always been in favor of doing whatever it takes to protect our shores. National Security is not a patrician issue for most people. J. Edgar Hoover spied on everyone! :-)

4. Express10 profile image86

I've always hated Boehner's stances and general demeanor. His calling Snowden a traitor shows Americans how much he values the privacy of their phone calls, etc. and info that could be gleaned from them.

5. dashingscorpio profile image79

I think the more we learn about Snowden the more we'll learn that his motives aren't completely alltruistic. It's one thing to announce spying on Americans and another to show Russia, China, and other nations how we gather intelligence. Hero? No.

5. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Courageous and patriotic. To show how much of a democracy we are, he has to flew to Hong-Kong. Smart choice.

6. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

Snowden has popular support for his actions - so he's a Robin Hood of cyberspace, giving the poor information only the powerful had access to - and he's a hero in my book, as brave as they come........... or he's mad for celebrity like many individuals these days who stop at nothing to get a tiny bit of global coverage.

I hope he turns out to be a genuine moralistic whistleblower. I hope his actions will influence someone in authority to question motive and strategy.

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. I don't think he displayed anything we didn't already know was going on since the Patriot Act - but hopefully he shook people awake enough now to care and fight back.

2. Express10 profile image86

Christin S I agree, but so many people refuse to stand up for what's right even if an injustice or crime is happening right in front of them. This is one of the reasons we've gone this far down the drain thus far. I hope some people are awakened.

7. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 10 years ago

He is courageous and deserves a medal.  There are really no secrets that he unleashed, just look around at the changes to our country.  Look outside the box and they will be a plain as the nose on your face.

8. Rosana Modugno profile image73
    Rosana Modugnoposted 10 years ago
  9. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

I want to know who fed him the Data?  Because I do not believe for one minute this uneducated smuck, with three months on the job had this much access...

Nothing courageous or patriotic about him and the more he talks the more you come to realize there is more to this story.

10. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 10 years ago

I think he is a whistleblower and has not committed espionage. In fact, there are several lawyers who have been interviewed on various shows that say they are surprised or shocked that he is being charged with espionage. It's a rare comeuppance for the US government when Russia, Japan, and others work in concert to dangle the carrot just out of reach. I hope that Edward Snowden lives long, prospers, and stays out of the US to avoid trumped up charges which appear to be little more than an angry lashing because officials didn't want this information to come out so they could continue violating people's rights unnoticed.

11. jdw7979 profile image72
    jdw7979posted 10 years ago

He is a patriot, and one who is blatantly pointing out the UNCONSTITUTIONAL acts our Big Government Corrupt has been doing for years. I do however wish he was not aligning with China and Russia, which makes it difficult to see the positive he is doing.

Our government, all in the false name of safety is partaking in horrendous acts on its citizens. The majority of American Tax Payers are just waking up to these things. We must band together and end this tyranny, or our children grow old in a much less free and liberty driven society!

Look no further than the rash of scandals and corruptions of late.. that is a true wake-up call and if citizens could use the excuses these elected officials are using, nobody would be in jail. The NSA, IRS, FBI, CIA, DHS, and most of these 3 lettered frauds are using tactics in line with dictators and communist rule to turn us into peasants needing D.C. to survive.

Very scary..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)