What book did you read constantly as a child?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (35 posts)
  1. EJ Lambert profile image72
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

What book did you read constantly as a child?

There was always one book that ended up in our hands over and over as children.  Which one was yours?

2. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'Dell. His books always were on my night stand. Young females being productive on their own with animal friends who had great losses in their life.

EJ Lambertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I always do enjoy books with human-animal connections.  Fine choice.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One I also loved.  smile

3. JohnGreasyGamer profile image77
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

Do instruction manuals count? I've worn the pages of my Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer manual due to the amount of times I've flicked through it.

On a serious note, I didn't do a great deal of reading as a child. But one book I did read constantly was Stephen King's "Blaze", and some of his short stories in the anthology books.

King was and still is an icon for all ages, as surprising as that sounds.

4. Pennypines profile image61
    Pennypinesposted 10 years ago

Tales from the Arabian Nights.  And I used to go to my grandmother's room to read to her because her eyesight was failing.  Invariably it was the Holy Bible with her favorite chapters marked.

People never remember how many good stories the Bible actually tells.

5. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

I used to read a novel by Louisa May Alcott over and over.  It was called "An Old-Fashioned Girl."  While I read "Little Women" also, there was something about the character, Rose, in AOFG that always drew me back again and again.  We also had an illustrated book in the house called "The Animals of North America" that I found fascinating, and I would go through that one practically once a week.  smile

It's not always the classics that connect with a person.

2. profile image0

Isn't that funny?  I do love Little Women, but it was never the same as the other for me.

3. EJ Lambert profile image72

It's happened to me too.  The staple of my favorite author, Chris Bunch, was the Sten series, which I hated.  I much preferred his Seer King series.

6. J Burgraff profile image69
    J Burgraffposted 10 years ago

I read "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott over and over again.  I read it first when I was seven years old and then again probably each year of my life until I was about 15.  I reread again in my forties and plan to again this year (I'm 54).  I find it endlessly fascinating for different reasons with each reread.

That is the beauty of great literature and great art in general.  You always find something new every time you go back.

7. Abby Campbell profile image73
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

Judy Blume and Nancy Drew books always ended up in my hands. I loved them and would re-read them over and over.

How can you not?  That's good stuff.

2. profile image0

I thought Judy Blume was great!

3. Krista Schnee profile image71
      Krista Schneeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also was a big fan of Judy Blume and Nancy Drew. I also loved the Encyclopedia Brown books.

8. JayeWisdom profile image88
    JayeWisdomposted 10 years ago

I learned to read at age four, so by the time I was eight years old I was devouring books usually read by older readers. That's when I discovered WUTHERING HEIGHTS.  I continued to read it about once a year into adulthood, and the story of Catherine and Heathcliff never failed to thrill me.

Jaye

A timeless classic that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

9. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 10 years ago

Clarence Buddington Kelland wrote a series of books about Mark Tidd. I couldn't get enough of them. The books featured an Our Gang group of young boys in various adventures. Nowadays the books sell on eBay at premium, classic prices, if at all.

I suppose that mean I can't have the pleasure.

10. renegadetory profile image60
    renegadetoryposted 10 years ago

I think the book I took out most from my elementary school library was "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein... my mother must have gotten so sick of reading those poems to me but I thought they were awesome!

1. KDeus profile image93
      KDeusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This was the book that I read over and over, too!

2. EJ Lambert profile image72

Silverstein was a master who profoundly impacted my childhood.  The Giving Tree was my favorite.

11. Sue Bailey profile image68
    Sue Baileyposted 10 years ago

There were 3 for me. The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll and What Katy Did  by Susan Coolidge.  I loved those books.

A broad collection because who can ever have just one?

12. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

"The Secret Garden."  I loved that as a child and I still love it today.  I do read it as an adult.  I love the characters, I love the old Gothic mansion, and I love the garden and of course the story.  It has always held my interest.

Great book and a highly underrated movie!

13. soconfident profile image70
    soconfidentposted 10 years ago

Poppy by AVI, I read this book over and over again. I read all to the sequels to Poppy.

14. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

As a child, I constantly read comic books, LOL.

Which ones?  I don't judge people for that.

2. WalterPoon profile image68
      WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beano and Dandy, LOL.

15. petenali profile image81
    petenaliposted 10 years ago

It has to be "James and the Giant Peach" by Roald Dahl.  It was a classic fantasy adventure story about a boy escaping from his situation in life, travelling with new found friends who give him a different outlook on his situation.  Great story telling and imagery in it.

16. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 10 years ago

At one of my grandma's houses, it was "The Poky Little Puppy," at a neighbor's house it was "Danny and the Dinosaur," and at our house it was the abridged "Black Beauty" (which I still have) when I was smaller and the "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder when I was a bit older. Truthfully, there were more, as I loved to read, but those are the first ones that came to mind as finding their way to my hands more frequently.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)