Why would any christian church provide a Certificate of Baptism for a person bap

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image52
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

Why would any christian church provide a Certificate of Baptism for a person baptized?

What is the purpose for any any christian denomination to provide a certificate of baptism? Is this suppose to show some kind of proof?  Does true baptism require some kind of writen proof?

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

There are denominations of Christianity that require baptism for membership and future access to other sacraments.  The Roman Catholic Church is one example.  I will forever be a member of the Catholic Church due to my baptism.  This allows me to participate fully in the remaining six sacraments of the Church.

Not all Christian denominations require this, and many accept any baptism from any other denomination.

1. profile image52
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Motowo2Chitown- Your baptism is a step in your relationship with God. Your baptism should  not to be used like some kind of membership card for a Church.

2. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The masses around the world unknowingly worship Satan by bowing to a statue of Mary, or the Pope. The clergy convieniently avoid Scripture that exposes their promotion of idolatry. The certificate is simply about man-made perks and entitlements.

3. celafoe profile image55
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

according to scripture all denominations are man made  abominations.   the catholics started it and the rest followed.   Any time a man takes the place of Christ, then Christ stays away and leaves them to their own devices.

4. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I was answering the question you asked.  I'm quite comfortable in my relationship with Christ.  It wouldn't matter if my baptismal certificate were shredded or burned, it wouldn't change anything for me.

5. profile image52

Motown2Chitown- I am very happy to know you are baptized. I do thank you for you answer.

3. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

Several.   The first is it is a church run by man,usurping the place of the Holy Spirit so thet they do not have the ability to hear from the Holy Spirit.   Second is control, since it is a man made doctrine it follows that as all man made doctrines the basis  is control of the people.    If you control the evidence, ( in their minds) of a persons conversion, then you can control the person.  Third, ego, it makes them feel good to be in control of who has a certificate and it looks good to  be able to show the fruit of their "ministry" to their friends with whom they are competing for members..    (look i have signed 1250 certificates of baptism, i am so good)
    And there are many more reasons, all of which have NO scriptural validity.    God Knows who belongs to Him, He does not need to see your man made paper.   In fact it might even get you disqualified instead of being accepted.

1. PlanksandNails profile image80
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Certificates make a mockery of God by man recieving accolades by recieving a man-made certificate upon a man-made altar in a man-made building from a man-made salaried clergy member for a work that is solely done by Jesus Christ.

2. profile image52

I strongly agree with both of you. Many thanks for you answer celafoe. And Thanks for your comment PandN.

4. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

Grace in us, this is an awesome trick question. Of course there is purpose behind this ludicrous practice. There was purpose to crucifying Christ. There is purpose to the holocaust.
    Here is a great tool -- talk about the concept of Baptism, but do not use the word. That word has become something different than what John taught, but the notion has not changed. Not only do churches have certificates, some folks go around saying exactly how it must be done -- like full emersion versus pouring or if it can be inside or must be outside, whether the water must be moving and if you can use salt water. What human concerns these are but they all have purpose and agenda behind them.
    Here is a crazy one, my 3 year old is already baptized twice. Once in a church with a priest and once in a stream in the wilderness with only family and me. It is an awesome ritual. Jesus did it and it made his dad real happy. From all accounts Paul and John the Baptist were not ritualistically baptized.
    If you saw the movie "Forest Gump" I think the storm and Captain Dan is a beautiful baptizm and life a new.

Wouldn't it be funny if a gal all filled with the Spirit and loving and radiant in peace and grace and without blemish, volunteered to teach children in a "Sunday School" and the Vicar and the Vestry denied her for she had no certificate.

On the other hand God knows all his children and every hair from alpha to omega, but does man? I think not. They used to "brand" slaves with a hot iron, all the way back to Moses and before. Perhaps it is fun/OK for those not blessed with discernment to see a certificate. Yes it is weird and yes it makes no spiritual sense. But perhaps it helps the blind to see. Remember that numb skull Thomas "hey man I got to touch to believe it". And yet it seemed Christ loved him more for his weakness and his need. So shall and must we be; those that need a certificate, need our love even more.

I just designed and a certificate. And it really made me laugh. What in the heck do you put on it. "has been duly initiated" "has been dunked" "is hereby,,,,," "has duly sworn" ??

People are funny. I reckon we should let them do as they will and argue against them by our love.

1. profile image52

Eric-I greatly welcome your answer and thank you. I believe a person's water baptism is an important and private matter between a person  baptized and God.  Certificate of baptism from any church, to me, cheapens the value and purpose of the baptism.

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Call it intuitive, but I think you may want to calibrate that idea that what others do cheapens you. Would not that mean you are reliant on others rather than God. Grace, "example" is what gives us value to the Lord or cheapens ourselves to Him.

3. profile image52

Eric- Thanks again. Allow me to put it this way. The moment Jesus was baptized. What do you think Jesus would have said if John tried to hand Jesus a Certificate of Baptism. Think about it Eric. God Bless.

4. Ericdierker profile image45

I do not know for sure what He would have done --- but I know what He would never have done,,,, condemn John for it!!  Think about it.  That is my point here. It does no harm to God.

5. celafoe profile image55

He probably would have said , as he did on another occasion, "get behind me satan".   He would definitely not approve of this fleshly act of usurping His authority.

6. Ericdierker profile image45

Like I said, He would not condemn John for it. And your point is well taken. Perhaps that would be for Christ to do --- but not for you.

7. celafoe profile image55

He said these things (that He did) and greater shall we do.   So then why would it be wrong for me to do the same as He?   He gave us the right to use His name  and His ways.  And by His stripes we are to be healed.  Why would this be different?

8. Ericdierker profile image45

I suppose Celafoe, that you can make a biblical case for going around condemning people. Westboro comes to mind, as do some preachers. But I must tell you, it does not sit well with me. And folks like me have to worry about the damage it causes.

9. celafoe profile image55

cheap shot Eric, you have a  problem with semantics. condemning ACTIONS does not equate to condemning people.  We are required to condemn wrong actions. I did not say anything about condemning the person.just as He condemned Peter's action not Peter.

10. profile image52

Let get back on subject. Baptism is a part of our religionship with God. I don't see any benifit by certifying it on paper. And it's not biblical. And yet it is common amoung most churches and to what end.

5. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 10 years ago

Some religious schools require proof of baptism or christening. A friend of mine has to have a certificate for each of her eight children so that they can attend the Catholic school they all (bar the baby) go to.

I doubt that in this case it's trying to put an accolade or anything on it - it's just the simplest way of keeping an accessible record of baptism for things like schooling.

1. profile image52

jlpark- I have to agree with you on this case that it is not a matter of accolade, but it is a matter of that church maintaining it's control. Thanks for your answer.

2. celafoe profile image55

of course the certificate has no value.   It says they were baptized, but most that are baptized by the  apostate churches do it for show, it does not prove a heart change.   It is not proof of Being actually born again.   therefore useless.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)