Why do most people not baptize those they lead to the Lord right away?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image53
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

Why do most people not baptize those they lead to the Lord right away?

Most people that lead someone to the Lord (being born again according to scripture) do not take them and baptize them right away.  Why not ?

2. profile image54
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

I believe the answer would be that most christians don't believe they have the "authority" to baptize a person. The believe that only their church clergy or elders only have the authority or right  to do so. And they need that "all important Certificate" of baptism.

And they got to have that   "Certificate."

Celafoe I hope you know what I mean by this. Good question

celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know and agree thats why we need to teach them the truth

3. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I would venture that many view Baptism much as you view priests. Like a left over vestigial appendage. They have been introduced to so many hypocritical "Baptized" folks that they want no part of a liturgy.
    On the "church" side, , well they are too wrapped up in being a part of this world. The ceremony, the pomp, the ceremony -- they get so entangled with rules they think they extrapolate from scripture and tradition that they miss the whole point.

It also is a cousin of the Roman Catholic notion that you have to study and understand before being baptized. I went to a fine church to go to for 6 weeks and they never did the Eucharist or Lords Supper Celebration. To me it was strange.
    I have been to churches that did not sing. And to others that did not say the Lord's prayer every Sunday.
    Baptism is critical, to me, how and when is in God's hands.

thanks for trying to slam me but I take it as a complement,     again your word games, its not a liturgy but an integral part of becoming a CHristian.   Is this all a game to you?  it seems all you want to do is play word games.

2. Ericdierker profile image44
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Celafoe --- your question asks for a explanation of what most people do. I gave it. I also affirmed my belief that it is imperative. sorry if I offended. I was answering a question about others.

4. PlanksandNails profile image81
    PlanksandNailsposted 10 years ago

They don't because they belive that a titled hireling is the only one qualified to baptise a new follower of Jesus Christ. Tradition will say that baptism also equates to building membership and the perks that come with that particular denomination. When you look at Scriptural baptism, it was not about recieving a certificate and aquiring membership status to a piece of real-estate that is controlled by hirelings, but is about being cut to the heart, believing the Good News, repenting and then being baptised. Peter said to repent and be baptised. People heard the Good News and were baptised right away.

When someone had recieved the keys to the kingdom, it was only natural to be baptised on the spot, or soon after. This is almost non-existent in the institutionalized "church" because many believe that baptism must take place in the building, and must be done by a clergy member. The true Church (ekklesia) GOES OUT to preach the Good News, the modern "church" expects you to GO IN to them, sit in a pew and then take their baptism and membership courses first before you qualify to participate in their man-made rite.

The Bible clearly reveals how many were baptised. Unfortunately, the modern "churches" are not making disciples of all nations. Instead, they are making members and reiterating a command by baptising in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit without saying the NAME. We who are followers of Jesus Christ are all qualified to baptise in the name above all names, and that is JESUS CHRIST.

Most titled clergy "baptise" by speaking titles (repeating the Biblical command) instead of doing what it says by using the NAME of Jesus Christ. Even the pagans can use the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, just like the Catholics do. When the NAME of Jesus Christ is used there is a huge difference over speaking a TITLE. A priest can be called Father. A Father can call someone their Son, and the Holy Spirit could be an angel of light. When the name of JESUS CHRIST is exalted there is no hidden meaning, agenda or hireling who gets in the way of the transforming power that only comes from Him.

What are you going to believe, the puppet hireling who pleases man in their traditions, or the Word of God that clearly outline the details of true and genuine baptism? Have you been baptized into a building membership, or have you been baptised into the kingdom of God? Quite simply, if you have your certificate and membership perks then it will tell you what you have been baptised into.

AMEN  THAT SAYS IT ALL  THANK YOU

2. profile image54
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

PandN- I realize it not my position in this case to select best answer, but if it were you got it hands down. God bless

5. BobMonger profile image60
    BobMongerposted 10 years ago

Perhaps because you can lead a horse to water but drinking it is his choice and no one else's. I've been led to the Lord many, many, many times but balked at baptism when it became clear that this was someone else's ideal of what I should become. When I finally "took the plunge" (pun intended) it was because this was something I decided to do for myself and not because some zealot thought it would be a good idea for me to fit into their little slice of heaven.

in other words you were led toward the Lord many times and finally were led to the Lord and completed the necessary action  as scripture sets forth.  Unfortunately some people are not equipped properly and try to force people, that is wrong.

2. BobMonger profile image60
      BobMongerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, celafoe, it is wrong and can do tremendous damage. You can't drag a person to the Lord kicking and screaming. Such people wind up as poor disciples at best and atheists at worst; neither of which is preferable.

3. celafoe profile image53

yes I agree 100%

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I agree that most do not think they are qualified to do so. Another problem may be there is not an adequate place to baptize. Take for instance, if you were to lead someone to the lord in the desert? This has no baring on their salvation. Baptism is an act of obedience to God.

act of obedience? absolutely untrue.   false church doctrine   
      Col 11-12    shows that the hard heart of man is circumsized (opened)
      to receive the things of God in  water baptism.

2. PlanksandNails profile image81
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In Acts 8:26-40, Philip was called into the desert where he preached the Good News to an Ethiopian, and when they found water he was baptised.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

When they found water??

4. PlanksandNails profile image81

Indeed

And the eunich said,
      "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?"
      Even when somone was led to the Lord in the desert there was water to be found.

5. profile image0

You do not have to be baptized to go to Heaven. Baptism is out of obedience to GOD. Why was Jesus baptized, he was sinless. He was baptized out of obedience to the Father. The eunich just happened to find water. Do you think he was the only one??

6. PlanksandNails profile image81

Jesus was baptised in obedience to Mosaic Law where all priests were consecrated before they began their ministry that encompassed washing and annointing. He was publically identified as the Lamb who would take away the sins of the world.

7. profile image0

Agreed. But, disagree that you must be baptized to be saved. Although I have been.

8. PlanksandNails profile image81

We must be baptised by the Holy Spirit. That is the baptism that saves. Faith in Jesus Christ (living water) plus the power of the Holy Spirit equals salvation. The baptism that saves a believer is done by the Holy Spirit.

9. profile image0

We must agree to disagree.

10. PlanksandNails profile image81

JThomp,
      If hearing the Word by faith and changing by the power of the Holy Spirit does not equate to salvation, then what do you believe salvation is?

11. profile image0

Accepting Jesus into your heart and confessing it with your mouth that he died on the cross to save all mankind. Water does not save, the blood does.

12. PlanksandNails profile image81

The living water that I was speaking of above is not literal water, but that which comes into us by His Holy Spirit where we never thirst again. His blood was shed that we may recieve His living water (new birth) that springs up within our very souls

13. celafoe profile image53

amen P&N  the the most important thing is that is living water

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)