Would you consider John the Baptist as one of the first christians?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image52
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

Would you consider John the Baptist as one of the first christians?

John the Baptist was teaching on the Kingdom of God and Christ first coming. Many  teaching of John was also taught by Jesus. The church came a number of years after John's death, but does that mean that John could not have been a chirstian or could he? After all, he did baptize Jesus?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

I would think not because John's death came before Jesus was crucified. Therefore, no one were considered Christians until after the resurrection.

1. profile image52
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

JThomps42- I realize the word christian did not come about until long after the death of Jesus. My understanding of the meaning of this word christian is "to be Christ like". It would seem to me John was as it's described. Many, many thanks Jthomps44

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are very welcome my brother.

3. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

I would have to  say, based on the example of Abraham

Gen 15:6 And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
    It is very clear that John understood Jesus in all aspects of who He is., and as the appointed one to introduce Him.
    Matt 3:1-3 In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, 2 and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!"
    Matt 3:10 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 
    John brought the first step, repentance which precedes the born again experience.
    He gave his life to introduce Him.
    Jesus brought and is  Righteousness personified.
      And certainly John's faith would equal the faith of Abraham.
    BUT then we also have:
    Luke 1:15  He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.

For, what is a Christian?  One who believes in, is born again by and filled by the Holy Spirit  and follows Jesus
    and John certainly fits all the requirements.

So THE Answer is  YES  YES

1. profile image52

celafore- I don't no if this question has very been brought up before regarding John and in my opinion I have to agree with you. However, I do wonder of others opinions on this question. Many thanks celafore.

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is no requirement that I know of in scripture , that requires Jesus to have died and been resurrected before one could believe in HIM.
      The door was not open to gentiles until after, but not so for the jews, as per Abraham and David

3. profile image52

Good point !  Thanks.

4. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It occurs to me that the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. Would actually be something that would make use of the word "Christian" a misnomer. No one can do what He did. So arguably no one can be a complete Christian.

5. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

eric-- what about Jesus says these things and even greater  shall we also do??

6. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Celafoe, I would think that is referring to us as mere men, trying to be like HIm. I get the feeling that He not only loves us but admires us when we try hard. But I like your point very much. It is consistent with the Word. I just never met one.

7. PlanksandNails profile image79
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jesus said that we will do greater works (widespread ministry/ Great Commision) by carrying the Gospel throught the world; He did not say greater miracles. Even when the Apostles were alive, all Christians could not do signs and wonders as they did.

4. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I think that suffixes have meaning. Normally an and ian suggest that the object referred to belongs to the root word. So in simplest form a Christian is someone "of Christ". In that Christ is alpha and omega the time is irrelevant. A person either is or is not "of Christ".

1. profile image52

Ericdierker- You have also made a very valid point and I agree. I do thank you for your answer.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

John knew who Christ was so in that regard, yes, I would consider him on one of the first followers of Christ, or Christian.

1. profile image52

duffsmom- Thanks so much for your answer

6. manatita44 profile image72
    manatita44posted 10 years ago

No. He was most likely a forerunner for Jesus the Christ. He  knew of the spiritual capacity of Jesus, and In his humility acknowledged this. A great sacrifice as well as a rare quality, considering that he himself had disciples. He was very sincere. Even in death he never lost his faith.

The Christ continued and enlarged on this philosophy and much later, Christianity surfaced. There are those who say that Paul was the first Christian, in the sense that he was full of enthusiasm and one-pointedness, and gave his all to Christ's teachings. He was also a great orator and writer, a scholar who was able to organise and reach many souls.

Christ was not fond of the 'isms' and 'ity's' of his day. He was not fond of the law in its old sense. He spoke in a revolutionary way and taught of the spirit of love and inner peace, the peace that passeth human understanding. This was alien to the Romans and the Jews who felt that he was usurping their powers.

Christ was dangerous as he taught something different and did things differently. Most importantly, people initially followed him. Some prominent people lost face as a result and became increasingly weary and anxious. Christianity came after Christ. Neither he nor John taught this.

1. profile image52

manatita44- There were a few in John's time who mistakenly thought that John was the Christ due to his qualities. Only to learn that he was not.  As John 1: 20 explains. Many tthanks for your answer maanatita44-

7. PlanksandNails profile image79
    PlanksandNailsposted 10 years ago

I will attempt answer this question from a broader perspective as many have given some good points.

For most, the word "Christian" is often equated to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Although Christian is a New Testament term, being filled with the Holy Spirit is not, and goes much farther back. Exodus 31:3 describes Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah as being filled with the Holy Spirit.

This is probably not the first man to be filled with the Spirit, but is one of the earliest recorded.

There is no recording that John the Baptist was baptized at by a man; he was baptized by God by His Spirit.

When John the Baptist invited those to be baptized, it was nothing new for his Jewish audience. The ritual of baptism (mikveh) was nothing new and practiced on a regular basis. Most Christians have been taught that baptism was a new "Christian" thing. Even in the first century, self-immersion was an accepted part of Jewish life that concerned impurity.  (Luke 2:22)

Jesus was baptized so he could enter into the Melchizedek priesthood so He could be the High Priest and offer Himself as a sacrifice for our sins to ALL.

Here is something to ponder:

Baptism in the first century among the Jews was quite different than the various styles that are done by church denominations today. When John the Baptist baptized Jesus, he most likely did not touch Jesus, nor did he pour water over His head. Jesus would have immersed himself like the Jews would have. There are a number of different drawings that depict Jewish baptism over the centuries. One drawing was found in a Roman catacomb that depicts John standing on the bank of the Jordan River extending a hand to Jesus who is standing in the water.

To answer your question, I would say NO in the context that a "Christian" is someone who has been filled with the Holy Spirit and is obedient to God. This can be traced much farther back than John the Baptist.

1. profile image52

PandN- Is there any way to know at what point John started baptizing people in the name of Jesus?  I realize baptism of people through the Father, Son and Holy Spirit didn't come until after Christ's death. Many thanks for your answer.

2. PlanksandNails profile image79

Jesus did not say to baptize in three titles but said to baptize in one name  Col 3:17 There is a big difference between a persons name and his titles If we signed a check with brother, uncle, or son would the bank accept it? Using name is important.

3. profile image52

PandN- Matthew 28: 19 (NKJV) 19 Go therefore and make desciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and  of the Holy Spirit."  Jesus spoke these words. Am I misunderstanding something here? Thanks you.

4. PlanksandNails profile image79

What is the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit? That is the NAME we are to baptise in. A reptition to a command is not obedience to it because the actual NAME is not being used.  (Acts 2:38)

5. profile image52

PandN- Point taken. Many thanks

8. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8148453_f260.jpg

In a sense he was; however, was he not a messenger of God the Father?  Now I am not knowledgeable enough to know the answer to this question; however, I believe he was carrying out God's will more directly than most. He was showing us how to "really see" Christ for who He is, that is the Son of God. Thus, this simple question may not be as simple as we think.
    Perhaps one could argue that he was so well connected with the Father; thus, being a close to perfect Jew who understood how to carry out God's will and God trusted him not unlike certain earlier prophets who would not technically be called Christians. Excellent question, I look forward to enhancing my understanding of this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)