"Shood Eenglish speleng be funetik?"

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. i scribble profile image73
    i scribbleposted 10 years ago

"Shood  Eenglish speleng be funetik?"

As a reading instructor, I offin wunder. Yoor tern too wa in!

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

Definitely not. It's bad enough trying to wade through some people's typos. I'm thinking about English as it's spoken in the U.S. There are several dialects spread across the country which means one word can be pronounced several different ways depending on the region where it's being used. If everyone spelled the words based on the way they pronounce it, there would be no set standard. If we take the step to use the phonetic spellings for words, why no go a step further and let our kids always write the way they type in text messages?

i scribbleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You make a good point about different dialects and pronunciations in different areas. Standard spelling is another big issue. Getting bureaucrats to agree on any changes is a steep uphill battle, e.g., changing from standard to metric measurement.

3. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Funny but interesting question, i scribble. I think it would be confusing because we all have different pronunciations and dialects. We've become accustomed to the spelling of words being consistent as we get used to each other saying them differently.

Hi Jan,
      Thanks for weighing in. The answer may seem obvious to a good speller (like you or me), but some children have to work so hard to memorize the spelling of every word. It's a hallmark of dyslexia.

4. cianeko profile image84
    cianekoposted 10 years ago

Haha. No! I am a language student and I find phonetics difficult to do that is why it is good to keep on using the spelling as is.

Interesting perspective. I see you are from the Philippines. Does your native language have a phonetic alphabet? Do you study English or various languages?

5. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 10 years ago

You mean like they use to do in the Domesday Book  before someone invented a degree of standardisation into the language ?

Besides if you look more closely at  Americanese I think you'll find they more or less 'Spel Lik That !"

I think you're saying we need standardized spelling, and I agree. I just wish it could be more phonetic, one letter for each sound, etc. I'm sure you've noticed some spellings are different in Britain and U.S., like standardise(ze) and colour/color.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image59
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Eye dew nut know.

I can tell you this, a spell checker would not look twice at that sentence since they are all words and as far as it is concerned. The sentence is okay since all of the words are spelled correctly.

Yes! Spell checks need to be much smarter in putting words in a sensible context.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do not know if anyone will ever get around to doing that.

7. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

Ah my mind goes back to Gallagher's old standup routine.
    But seriously no I think we do need to get back to the basics of education and teach English the way it was taught rather than accepting what we have today where few can spell or write and fewer still can make themselves understood.
    I am somewhat reminded of Chinese history.
    Before the written language every region, even different villages, couldn't speak to each other. It was really quite a mess and impossible to govern or even trade widely.
    In the 12th century the Emperor got fed up with it all and decreed that everyone in China would learn to read and write his script.
    Fortunately for English there aren't 3000 symbols to memorize and we can learn to sound out words with reasonable accuracy.
    Yes there are a lot of contradictory and confusing things in the English language but it is probably the best there is and its worth learning correctly.

Great point about the history of written language and the need for commonality in spoken and written word. I've heard that some other languages are more phonetic than English, such as Spanish and French. Don't know what makes a language 'best'.

8. Marsha Musselman1 profile image81
    Marsha Musselman1posted 10 years ago

Sometimes it can already be difficult to figure out what someone means or is really saying when you read what's written down, if things weren't spelled correctly I think I'd get it wrong even more.

For those that are dyslexic I don't know the answer to that one. I guess it depends on the age of the child. Maybe letting the younger child learn phonetically would get them started and then as they get a bit older get them to incorporate more correct spelling into their writings.

I know it's possible for someone to be dyslexic and still succeed in school. I don't see how they can succeed without being able to spell correctly.

Good question.

You have an interesting suggestion about teaching young children to spell phonetically first. I have been tempted to try that approach, but probably never would because I would expect to be attacked from all sides for 'going off the grid'.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

Oh, my inner critic just died inside a little reading this lol

No, I would hate to see that. Also, what about different accents where words sound different for example people in my neighboring state of Missouri who already don't know how to pronounce it and say "mizuruh" would that not confuse all of those who don't live there when we spell it phonetically? wink Although phonetic spelling may help out with those who don't understand that my state is NOT pronounced Illinoise lol

Hilarious, and so true! Thanks for wa-eeng in!

10. Jordan Hake profile image80
    Jordan Hakeposted 10 years ago

It's a pity we didn't start this centuries ago when the language was young.  Alas, you can't teach an old tongue new spelling!

So true!  They say people don't like change, and old traditions and bureaucracies are even more change resistant.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)