The gospel means Good News, so what exactly is the good news Jesus brought?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (71 posts)
  1. profile image52
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

The gospel means Good News, so what exactly is the good news Jesus brought?

The word gospel is misused by many Christians. And why do many christians misuse this word? Many think everything in the bible is the gospel. What gospel (good news) did Jesus bring and preach during His ministry? What exactly was His Gospel. And was there or is there any other true gospel?  I can only think of two gospels. The Gospel of the Kingdom of God and the Gospel of Grace. Please provide scripture to support your answer.

2. Abby Campbell profile image74
    Abby Campbellposted 10 years ago

I think it's all wrapped up in one verse - Luke 10:27

He answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

1. profile image52
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Abby- Thank you , I believe Luke 10:27 is very helpful.

3. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

There are four books considered the gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
    But the good news Jesus brought was the kingdom of heaven (everlasting life).
    There are too many verses regarding Christ preaching the good news so I would just say read all of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John but there are other references to the good news in I Timothy 3 and Hebrews 4. Quite a few in Acts and Romans chapter 10.

1. profile image52

BuffaloGal1960-I believe that the Gospel of the Kingdom is one of the important ones. The Books you mentioned I'm sure give clear exapmles of gospels that Jesus taught but mentioned by apostles. Thanks

2. BuffaloGal1960 profile image67
      BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years agoin reply to this

1Cr 9:12rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.
      2Cr 2:12     to Troas to preach the gospel of Chris
      2Cr 9:13    confession of the gospel of Christ,
      2Cr 10:14     the gospel of Christ.
      2Cr 10:14     with the gospel of Christ.
      Gal 1:7gospel of Christ.

3. profile image52

Point made and many,many thanks. God bless

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Praise God, deity became flesh through the virgin birth so that Jesus would spread the "Great" news of God's plan of salvation and his kingdom. The best verse's to quote I think are John 3:15-17....... That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    Great question my friend. God bless you!!

1. profile image52

JT- I'm sure John 3 :16 is one of the most qoutes verses of the four Gospels (first four books in the NT) . Many thanks JT.

5. joyce31202 profile image68
    joyce31202posted 10 years ago

I am the way the truth and the life. This is what Jesus said in John 14:6. Also  In John 10:10 it stated, he came that we might have life and have it more abundantly. And the favorite of all. John 3:16. For God so loved the world (his creation) that he gave Jesus that we may have everlasting life. These scriptures state this about him coming from God and his being the way to God. His coming was good news (Gospel) that connected us with the father (God). John chapter 1:16 and 17 verse shows us Jesus as grace. This is how we get the gospel of grace that's apart of the kingdom of God. We accept Jesus, we get the kingdom of God. Galatians 1:6 and 7 tells us that there is no other gospel apart from Jesus.

1. profile image52

joyce31202- As you have mentioned John 3:16, there is no dought it's gospel. And one of the most quoted verse in the bible. Thank and blessings.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen!

6. celafoe profile image54
    celafoeposted 10 years ago

the Gospel according to Christ is that He came, paid for sin with His blood  and is the way for us to be reconciled to God.   Restoring the relationship that was lost in the garden by the disobedience of Adam and Eve.     Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a division between those that would accept the "good news" and act upon it and thereby be restored to a relationship with God and those who chose not to.  Part of that good news of course is that those who accept Jesus for who He is will have eternal life in fellowship with him.
    Matt 10:34-39   "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.  35 For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';  36 and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'  37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.  38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.  39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

John 17:1-5  Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You,  2 as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.  3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.  4 I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.  5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.
    NKJV

1. profile image52

celafoe- I have mentioned in my question the the Gospel of the Kingdom, the Gospel of grace , but clearly I missed The Gospel of Jesu Christ as mentioned in Romans 15:25. But did Jesus highlight the Gospel of the Kingdom? Thanks.

2. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

nowhere in the bible are the "gospels" referenced.   There is only ONE gospel, the gospel of Jesus Christ..  All the things mentioned are a part of that singular gospel

3. profile image52

celafoe- please correct me if I'm wrong. Mark 1:15 States:  and saying. The time is fulfilled and the Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent and believe in the gospel. Also read Matt: 24:14.   Am I taking this out of context. Thanks celafoe.

4. celafoe profile image54

yes, that is what I was saying, there is one gospel, the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It includes all that you have mentioned.   repent and believe in it is the only way to enter the Kingdom.  tell me if I misunderstood the ??

5. profile image52

celafoe- To be honest I'm not sure who might be misunderstanding.  My thought are that the Gospel of the Kingdom is included but is hightlighted in His ministry. Read Acts 20: 24 it mention in words:" the gospel of the grace of God." too. Let me know

6. celafoe profile image54

the gospel of the Kingdom IS the Gospel of Jesus Christ,   The only way to enter  the Kingdom IS the Gospel of Jesus Christ.   They are one and the same.   There is but one Gospel.

7. profile image52

celafoe- Matt: 4:23 also clearls states " the gospel of the Kingdom". I am asking you, what would be the purpose of the kingdom and grace to stand out the most as gospels above (it seem) other parts of His teaching. Help me here. Thanks

8. celafoe profile image54

I would have to say because entering  the Kingdom  is the desired end result of His ministry and the only way to do so is through His Grace-- accepting the payment He made for our sins, thereby cleansing us from all unrighteousness.

9. profile image52

celafoe- I agree, I think this is where Matthew 6:33 would fit in perfectly. Thanks

10. celafoe profile image54

agreed,   blessings to you my brother

7. MickeySr profile image79
    MickeySrposted 10 years ago

The gospel message, the good news Jesus announced, is Jesus Himself - the fact and purpose and accomplishment of Him. Very essentially; God created man, man resisted God and followed his own course rather than conform to God's will and design for him, and so man separated himself from his creator, we rebelled against God. Because God is God (the eternal & infinite Spirit) and man is man (a mortal & material creature) there is no way for man to restore himself to his created station, we own no capacity to fix the broken relationship between ourselves and our Creator - the gospel, the good news, is that God Himself is able and willing to do all the work necessary to accomplish our return to Him and He freely gives this treasure as a gift.

So, while we are the enemies of God, our Creator, and unable to save ourselves from this miserable state, God Himself (in Jesus) executes or achieves our salvation and gives all the benefits of His work to us freely. There is no other gospel, there is no other path, no other way of salvation - Jesus, God incarnate, is the means by which God has established that men can be reunited to Him . . . this is why Jesus said "No one can come to the Father except by the Son", "I am the way, the truth, and the life". Our relationship with God, our spirituality, our final place in eternity, etc, is not determined by how good we are, what we do or don't do, what church we go to or religion we follow, or how sincere we are, etc, etc, etc - our relationship with God, our spirituality, our final place in eternity, etc, is determined by our union to (or rejection of) Jesus of Nazareth . . . that is Jesus' message and the good news of His gospel.

"For there is no name given under heaven whereby men can be saved"

1. profile image52

MickeySr- I like your answer and what you've mentioned isvery true. I am also looking for any verses where it may mention " the gospel of," Thanks so much for your answer.

2. Oscarlites profile image70
      Oscarlitesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

" Acts 4: 12"

3. profile image52

Oscarlites- Thank you.

8. Ceegen profile image67
    Ceegenposted 10 years ago

The bad news is that this entire world is fallen, we're all sinners, and doomed to a short existence on this planet.

The good news is that while in this fallen world we are forgiven of our sins, and have life after death by faith in Jesus Christ, who was a sinless man that paid the price for all sinners.

The good news wouldn't make sense without the bad news.

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." - Romans chapter 6, verse 23.

1. profile image52

Ceegen- Thanks very much for your answer and good answer. Blessings

Thanks Ceegen for a great answer here!

3. Ceegen profile image67
      Ceegenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks graceinus, and hello again Faith!

9. profile image0
    starsofeightposted 10 years ago

The question is: 'is good news good news to people who are not looking for news?' Reading only the first two verses of John 16, one may get the impression that good news is not so good after all. Seems like a lot of extra effort, to say the least.

But, we get a clue about the good news when we skip ahead to verse 14. That being: the Holy Ghost will give to us (mere men) those things that belong to the Son of God.

With that in mind, you will find your answer in the 17th chapter of John. Look closely at the wording, and especially at the word 'one.' The good news has less to do than you may think it does about 'life and death' issues. In fact, the promise of eternal life is included in the 17th chapter -- along with a definition of said life.

As the very Son of Almighty God puts it: life eternal is nothing other than knowledge of God and Christ.

But here is the catch: those qualities we may learn of (qualities that Christ received from God) we may know both certainly and intimately, inasmuch as, through the Holy Spirit, we as mere men may share those Christ-like and God-like qualities.

1. profile image52

starsofeight- Great insight and I thank you for your answer.

10. Oscarlites profile image70
    Oscarlitesposted 10 years ago

Isaiah 35:1-10  has reference to the Blessings of the Gospel that was still to come.  Vs 10, AND THE Ransomed  of the Lord shall return and come to ZION with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away. Earlier in the chapter it refers to Blind eyes being opened and deaf ears being unstopped.   Actually the entire volume of the bible is a Love story. Scripture says of Jesus that if every word he spoke was written down, the entire world could not hold the books.  More has been written ABOUT Jesus than any other that has come before or after him. I have some really old books about Jesus that are packed away.. I read them years ago. perhaps its time I bring them out and reread.  But truly All of Creation is the backdrop for the Gospel story. Jesus came that we might have life and have it more abundantly.

1. profile image52

Oscarlites- Much of the Old Testament did describe Jesus. Not His name (Jesus) but what  His actions and words would be. Thank you

11. whonunuwho profile image53
    whonunuwhoposted 10 years ago

The ever lasting life and through the forgiveness of sins by believing in Him, the Son of God.God showed mankind that He was willing to give up His own Son so that we would have everlasting life in heaven, simply by believing in Him and following in his path which leads us home.

1. profile image52

whonunuwho- Thank you for your answer. blessings.

Amen, dearest brother, whonu!

12. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

I gotta get real with this one. Everlasting life and what is a Gospel is somewhat ho hum to me. I have never not known them it seems. They are like "no brainers". I can go on and on about the "Good News" but to me that is old news. The "written" word has been written for at least 1700 years now. Of course it does not get old, but it ain't news.
    If we are satisfied with reading "Gospels" and divining wisdom there from. Then when we repeat them we are empty gongs. If our hearts are filled with what is paper then what room have we for the juice and nectar of life?

Here is scripture: Look for the good, beauty and love in everyone. Learn to love yourself. Do not limit your love by rules. Do not live "by" the Ten Commandments live "better" than them. If you judge first judge me, for I proclaim the Gospel.

In essence the Gospel is the Word. But it is the Word as Christ speaks it and as proclaimed by others. We are all commissioned to be "Saints" and "Apostles". Therefor when we speak in love we speak the "Word". For we speak as Mathew, Luke, Mark and John for we are also witnesses to His greatness.

Living Word. That is scripture. The Bible is a book. All of us must be the living word. Do not interpret me wrongly. If the written Bible has fresh sea salt spice then spread abundantly. For it is good. But do not think that it is the meat on the table. It is not the Body and Blood of our Savior. You are!!!

I who hold a doctorate tell all illiterates and all small children that if their heart overflows with love so that they must give it to others then they know the Lord better than me. I who can read and preach on the "Gospels" am not a mustard seed compared to their mighty orchard.

There is an inscription on every heart. What does our's read? If it has Love, Charity, Peace, faith and hope and humility then that is the very essence of the Gospel. Then our hearts are the Gospel. And far better the world will be than if we think the Gospel is on paper.

1. celafoe profile image54

wow a DR. -and an ugh lawyer too-that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee anywhere- are we supposed to bow down to you now? your scripture from dr.eric1:1 , I guess, cant seem to find it in the real bible.
      gospels?  there is only one.

2. profile image52

eric- The Good News may be "old news" however it is vital to our christian faith. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is as important today as it was almost 2000 years ago. And clearly will remain important until His second coming.

3. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

People who make it more important than love in their hearts. The written word that is. Are imbeciles and miss the meaning of the Gospel. Like people who are all about gifts at Christmas. Wrong on one Gospel. Can God only say one word?

4. profile image52

Eric- I'm not clear on the point you're trying make. Could you explain it in another way. Thanks.

5. PlanksandNails profile image81
      PlanksandNailsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A dichotomous mindset results in something that is anything but clear or trustworthy.

6. Ericdierker profile image46

True dat Planks.
      But the heart works differently, you should try it.

7. profile image52

Eric- I'm sure if Jesus Christ wanted us to focus ONLY on love, then clearly He would have said so. The Gospel of Jesus Christ reveals far more than JUST love. And I would rather have the Holy Spirit than a doctorate any time.

8. Oscarlites profile image70
      Oscarlitesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think Eric you are trying to show humility in comparison. I don't think you are so wrong.   Ie.. Jesus was/ is the LIVING bread that came down from heaven..

9. Ericdierker profile image46

I am happier this Sunday morning because the problem in this question just hit me. "Exactly" is not a term of faith or spirit or the Word. So the question cannot be answered in the Word. There is no "Abacus" from God. So the word exactly.....

10. profile image52

Eric- I could remove the word exactly, but would it change the question any. The point I'm asking would remain the same, I would think. Thanks

11. celafoe profile image54

grace--- removing it would not change a thing

12. Ericdierker profile image46

No!! Grace and Celafoe it is critical to thought. We are constantly dealing with science/math/logic. A Christian must stay clear of this mixing. Exact is a term owned by mathematicians. It is not a God term. You really screw things up with it.

13. profile image52

Eric- If what you say is true then the word needs to be removed from the following verse: De15:2, De 15:3, Ne 5:7, Ne 5:10, Ne 5:11, Ps 89:22, 2Ki 15:20, 2 Ki 23:35, Isa 58:3 and Lu 3:13. (KJV)

14. Abby Campbell profile image74
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree completely, Eric. Many make the Bible into "God," but God didn't intend for it to be so. He wants relationships with us like the little children have with Him... loving unconditionally and innocently. It is the essence of His Word. :-)

15. Ericdierker profile image46

Grace, you just made my point. Do all those verses say the same thing? No. Do they say "Exactly" the same thing? No. Is faith a personal relationship or not? Notice no one is called a Bibleician.

16. MickeySr profile image79
      MickeySrposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Separating the written word from our living it out is like separating our cure from the medicine that cured us - it didn't just happen. We can make a distinction between reading the Bible & living it out - but if set either aside we have nothing.

17. Ericdierker profile image46

I get this. Because I do not get this. I read it exactly what I am supposed to read.

18. dianetrotter profile image61
      dianetrotterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

A lot of love is unbiblical.  The Bible is our recipe for living a fruit-filled life in Christ.  If I love sex, should I indulge to my hearts content.  If I love stealing and hate to work, should I go around stealing things.  Love is an excuse to

19. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

dianne-  eric has no desire to understand there are over 20 different kinds of love, some of which are pure evil.   he prefers his corrupted single version.
      he thinks we are legalistic because we wont accept his liberal false beliefs

20. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi Diana, I run the love test through here; 1  Corinthians 13:4-8. If it fits then it is love. If it does not then we are just using the word love to describe something else. My son does not really "hate" cooked vegetables but he says it.

13. suzettenaples profile image88
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Love, faith, hope, forgiveness for our sins, redemption, and everlasting life.

1. profile image52

suzettenaples- Many thanks for your answer. And I sure the list can go much longer. Blessings

14. profile image52
    wheatbaybayposted 10 years ago

The good news that Jesus brought was the message that humans can have everlasting life.

1. profile image52

wheatbaybay- Thank you for your answer.

2. Ericdierker profile image46

Easy boys. If that were the good news ... Then what? The really good news is that we get to love each other here and now. Can you imagine? The good news is not news at all. It is tomorrow that you can love all day long.

15. profile image52
    WATERSTARposted 10 years ago

FROM WATERSTAR : very intresting Oberservation, the gospel still means good news and the meaning have not change and Jesus was the perfect man that brought that Life Changing Good News to the entire World ,for every Man to make a choice for himself freely to accept the good news that give Life and hope to all who truely believe from their heart, to have a Loving relationship with their Maker and GOD while Living on this Earth Which GOD Lent to all mankind for a short period of time untill He return for what is rightfully GOD,But the problem that we now faces is with those who say they are His messengers,but saying and doing what they feel like doing and ignoring what GOD realy said, and selling the message of Greed with a lot of sin ,and trying to tell the world that this is the GOOD NEWS. ST.JOHN CH-1 from 1,to 10. ST.JOHN CH-16 from,1 to 20.BY WATERSTAR:

1. profile image52

WATERSTAR- You are correct in so many ways. I thank you for your answer. God bless.

2. celafoe profile image54

amen

16. Angele Parris profile image61
    Angele Parrisposted 7 years ago

This is my interpretation of Good News.

God has a chosen people.  These people were in slavery in Egypt. God had to free these people from bondage in Egypt. When Jesus Christ came  to earth, these chosen people were back in slavery and denied proper health care. Jesus Christ told them "In my father's house there are many mansions, I go to prepare a place for you, that where I am you may be also" - John 14:2.  Jesus died and went to Hell. He rose from Hell with power over death.

What does in my father's house are many mansions mean?

I grew up in a three bedroom house (with a maid's section) in Jamaica. A spirit took me to the house, and showed me how the house could be easily converted to a four or five bedroom, even six bedroom house by rearranging the walls. The house was situated on about an acre or acre and a half of land. About three quarters of the land was uncultivated.  (This was through no fault of my parent (s)). Preparing a place, means that by Jesus conquering death, the people will be able to put building material and land to maximum use.

1. celafoe profile image54
      celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

what does any of this have to do with the good news that Jesus brought, tha twe are now able to enter the Kingdom of God?

2. profile image58
      KingdomComeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

celafoe- You took the words right out of my mouth.

3. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

AP: So "Good News" to u means "There's a mansion that's been prepared by JESUS for us IF we obey?" If so, that too.  But "Good News" is GRACE!  If we love HIM w/a "pure heart" & live AFTER ACTS "He will rem our sins no more!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)