Are we just interns for HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)
  1. pagesvoice profile image74
    pagesvoiceposted 10 years ago

Are we just interns for HubPages?

With rapidly declining page views, very poor earnings, articles dropped from being featured and daily demands for article maintenance, it is becoming burdensome and time consuming here at HubPages. So, do you feel like an intern who works for free and answers to a demanding boss who keeps changing the rule book? Many exceptional writers have exited HP and I too am giving it serious consideration.

2. profile image87
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

I don't feel like an intern. I have had very few articles that have dropped from being featured and I have to say that in all honesty, they probably do not deserve to be featured in their current form. I do have a couple that are constantly flicking between being featured for engagement and not which I find annoying, but I will edit those in due course.

As for the article maintenance, I feel that is in our best interests in any case. The style tips and goals that HP introduced are good in my humble opinion and make our hubs better. You can choose to ignore those in any case and carry on as before. I choose to ignore the style tip about using too much bold for example, as I use bold to highlight instructions in my how to hubs.

In short, I am happy with HubPages and where they are going and plan to stay here a long time.

3. EricDockett profile image97
    EricDockettposted 10 years ago

No, I don't feel like that at all.

My page views have only dropped by what I'd expect over the summer months,  I've had no Hubs dropped from featured status.  Article maintenance is a part of online writing -- people should be doing that whether HP demands it or not. And, despite lower CPM, I'm definitely not working for free.

The climate online is changing, and HP must roll with it.  That's going to mean stricter guidelines and some decisions many writers aren't going to like. 

In the end, it's our own personal choice whether we stay here and keep writing, or move on to some other platform that better meets our needs.  Nobody is holding us here.  But before people get upset and head for the hills, think about what else is out there. HubPages is about the most open revenue sharing site there is.  Most places don't allow poetry, fiction and all the other expressive content HP makes room for.  Most places don't pay nearly as well, either. 

But I can understand the frustration.  If I were thinking of leaving HP I'd probably put up a Blogger blog, slap some ads on there, and write away.  That way I'd have control and (mostly) make my own rules.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I very much agree with this. Change is difficult but necessary. If HP didn't change and went belly up then what?

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

pagesvoice:  I understand your frustration and share much of it.  I looked at how long the other two answers have been on HP and how long you've been here, and I have a theory.  Those of us who joined more than two years ago were on the leading edge of the (latest) series of changes that have occurred here.  We were lured to join HP by the encouragement to write high quality hubs about the subjects we felt strongly about - period.  Since then we've been limited by a series of requirements in addition to the initial ones and that never seem to end. 

Change is inevitable.  Constant change is frustrating.  I used to work for an organization whose initials were ACS and the employees said it stood for "Always Changing Something."  And the higher ups wondered why they couldn't keep staff.  Many of us pre-2010 hubbers feel "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  I can appreciate an always-moving forward philosophy of business.  But constant change in the workplace just leads to frustration.

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I've been here for awhile and I can understand some of your frustrations certainly. It has been a whirlwind of changes rolled out in the last year especially. I am still earning and my hubs are all featured. The ones that were unfeatured I pulled off of here and have or will publish them elsewhere. I am of the mindset don't ever keep your eggs all in one basket. Things are always going to change and who knows what may come tomorrow.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I believe HP had to do something drastic to improve its own image with Google and I blame Google and its tantrums more for loss of income etc than HP. Google panda whacked a couple of my websites as well - and they don't engage in spam or have poor quality content.  Google is just - well being Google. I don't even use them for searches anymore lol.

That being said, I use HubPages as a sort of online resume and many of my hubs have lead me to well payed freelancing gigs.  I feel it has its place and I earn some pocket money each month, while also having a nice place to display articles. Hubs can be made very beautiful with all the capsules - almost like magazine pieces.  That I think really helps when it comes to gaining clients for me.  I try to keep HP in perspective that way, but if I was depending solely on HP for writing income there's no way I would make it.

I think it's always good to diversify.  Monetizing my own blogs/websites has def given me a higher payout, but my paying sites were established long before coming here. They, like HP also took a hit and when that happens, you do what you gotta do to try to survive and thrive. Without the almighty Google, websites fail unfortunately.

6. Becky Katz profile image80
    Becky Katzposted 10 years ago

I agree with Kathleen, the others that have said they do not mind this have been here slightly over a year. They were not here when writers were being paid more and had twice as many views over the summer. They also were not here when the writers were told to write over 500 quality words. Now we are told that is substandard.
    I worked for an hour on a hub, that had 511 words, and then found out that it would not pass muster until I added another 1000. I said what needed to be said in the first 500 and there was no way to pad it with another 1000 words. I was reminding people to use the spell check and proof read before publishing. The hub that started my little rant was a HOTD with 19 run together words in the first paragraph.. I have noticed more quality has not been added with more words. I had comments from over 150 people that they had seen the problem and agreed with me. I had views right up until the day they unpublished it. Spellcheck is still not used and grammar is out the window.
    We were told to write things we were passionate about, and our fiction and poetry were appreciated. The writers from before are leaving in droves or just not writing. A friend that has over 2000 hubs and has been on here for over 4 years, has quit writing. He said he did not feel appreciated. His income has dwindled way down and he is tired of editing hubs also. He just started moving them.
    Another received the 'Best Fiction Writer' award recently, he has started pulling his outstanding fiction from HubPages. I not only understand you being ready to leave, but have taken the step that many of my friends have, and am shopping for an alternate venue. I am fed up also and have just been here for two years. I no longer feel appreciated and am only waiting to claim my payout, before withdrawing.

7. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Dennis....I can understand your concern and your question is one that many have wondered about.  I am of the mindset that the way each of us looks at the current situation, is pretty much related to why we joined in the first place.  It also has a lot to do with our own "expectations."  I will guess that for as many hubbers as have something to say, there are as many varied opinions.  Don't you find this to be true?
    I never thought of myself as an "intern," working for free.  Perhaps we are, but I do believe there are many who have my attitude.....with the passive income being a secondary motive for writing here.
    I can understand and respect the disappointment for those of our fellow-hubbers who have reached a point of disillusionment.  How I hate seeing our friends leaving here by the dozen.  Writers have to do what is necessary to further their goals and intentions.  Personally, for the time being, I'm fairly comfortable here at HP.  However, just like anyone else....should the time arrive I am extremely unhappy or feel my time and efforts are being wasted, it would be time to make a serious decision.

8. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

Maybe. It would seem that what was good for Hubpages two years ago, is not longer adequate.  I am gradually moving my stuff out and am making money elsewhere - something I was not able to do here.

9. aeraaf patel profile image68
    aeraaf patelposted 10 years ago

I started with hubpages two months back and since then i have come across many hubpages users complain about decline in page views. I too have noticed the same for my hubpages. Dont know the reason for it... but would give some time on hubpages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)