What causes MANY people to adopt an anti-achievement and anti-success mentality,

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What causes MANY people to adopt an anti-achievement and anti-success mentality,not ever wanting to

improve themselves educationally nor socioeconomically, just being content at their station in life?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8317849_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 10 years ago

I believe that at least some of these people lack a growth mindset.  I did some research into this topic and wrote a hub about it about a month ago or so.  Basically, a fixed mindset is when someone believes that what you see is what you get; that is, you are born a singer, scientist, or mathematician, and if you're not, you'll be mediocre at best.  He does not see intelligence as something that can be improved upon.  A growth mindset is when someone understands the plasticity of the brain and knows that as a result, anything can be worked on and improved.  Without realizing it, many people adopt fixed mindsets.  This may be one of the answers you're looking for.

3. Jlbowden profile image85
    Jlbowdenposted 10 years ago

A lot of this, in those particular groups of people that you mention.  Most likely, they have no inbred desire, or motivation to succeed in life and to better themselves academically speaking, or from a socioeconomic standpoint.

Possibly another couple of factors that come into play. Could also be that these people never had additional emotional and moral support, that a caring family usually, or should have provided to their Siblings, if they cared themselves.

Or they suffer from some form of chronic depression.  Which is very common today across the face of the globe.

4. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I agree with the previous comments. Perhaps, also/instead, they lack a good example to follow--a role model. Look at all the famous athletes who have been caught doping--they cheated to "earn" their success, therefore it wasn't earned. A good role model can go a long way in changing a person's perspective on what they should be doing in life--and not doing (nothing).

Depression, I agree with Jlbowden, is also a huge factor.

5. onegreenparachute profile image60
    onegreenparachuteposted 10 years ago

Fear.  Many people are content to maintain their status quo because they feel safe in that role.  Venturing out takes a certain amount of courage.  What if I should succeed?  What would my life look like?  Would I fit in?  Worse yet - what if I should fail?  It's far easier to stay where I am.  Stuck but safe. 
    This is the unfortunate truth for many.

1. profile image0
      Ben Blackwellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is indeed true.  That is one of the main components of the fixed mindset.

6. Dr. Haddox profile image61
    Dr. Haddoxposted 10 years ago

We live in a world where, sometimes, it appears that we "be dammed if we do, and we be dammed if we don't."
    In other words, "we can't win," it appears, no matter how hard we try.
    Old people used to say this, sometimes. "Why try to do anything, you can win, no matter what you do, especially if you are a woman, or a Black person, or an Indian or something.
    This is not just a matter of playing "The Race Card" or making other excuses.
    For example,
    look at President Obama.
    People see him as a Black President, not just as a President of the United States of America.
    He can do no "Right," everything that he does is always wrong.
    More than half of the country of the U.S.A. hate him.
    Not a day goes by that someone does not threaten to kill him.
    He has had more threats on his life than any other leader that has ever lived in the history of the world.
    He won a Nobel Peace Prize and people have tried to discredit him for it. They say, many congress people say, he did not earn the prize. It was given to him.
    They hate him, for no good reasons.
    They say he is the worse president that the country has ever had.
    Therefore,
    if people hate the president of the United States, for trying to achieve something, why should the rest of us even try to achieve anything.
    Why! If we are a great success, people will hate us. Especially if we are women, Black, Mexican or Native Americans.
    I am a world class historian and a highly successful retired physician who have healed so many people during the twenty years that I practiced medicine that I cannot remember them all. I never lost a patient. Never! I quit while I was ahead. I do not think that I could bear the pain of losing a patient, especially if it was my fault, because of a lack of knowledge or something. So, after twenty years of success, I quit where I was ahead.
    One mistake and I would have been a bad guy. The tens of thousands of time that I had done things right and saved people's lives would have been for nothing.
    Now, can you see from the examples that I have given, that some people may choose to adopt an anti-achievement, anti-success mentality, not ever wanting to improve themselves educationally or socioeconomically, and just, being content with their station in life?
    Why, they figure, what's the use? Nobody can really ever win in this "God forsaken world!
    There you have it, from the way I see it.
    Right or wrong, there you have it.
    Regards,
    Dr. Haddox

1. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed 100%. (I feel sorry for President Obama because he CAN'T win--what presidents did, if any?--with such a polarized congress.) Maybe we're too perfectionist as a society--too stubborn, zero tolerance for failure like with the space program...

7. profile image0
    JustCraftyposted 10 years ago

I believe people adopt this type of mentality because of companies not promoting for improving oneself and the lack of incentives.
    I have tried to gain success but working for many companies that have the anti-achievement and anti success mentality has kept me stuck were I am so after years I have become accustom to not going any further and guess I will have to be content with this or start over in a new career and start at the bottom and try to achieve success.

I know what you mean. Nobody ever gets promoted any more, that I'm aware of. You have to change jobs to get ahead, which is a loss for both companies. I hear this again and again, writing resumes for people... Very sad.

8. EdSaterstad profile image89
    EdSaterstadposted 10 years ago

I worked in Human Resources for years, and realized that many people adopt this attitude out of fear of failure. They take the attitude that they do not want to be promoted, achieve goals, or appear to try hard. Because when they don't get the job, achieve the goal or do well they can say it was because they didn't want it, not because they were unable to accomplish it.

We are compounding this issue by giving awards and praise to people for accomplishing next to nothing when they are young. Like a trophy for participating. They get used to getting recognized easily. But when they enter the real world the recognition must be worked for. They get easily discouraged and protect their ego by claiming to not want the recognition.

So true, EdSaterstad! Especially the part about the trophy for participating. Corporations now have to give away $millions of JUNK (mugs, keychains, lunch, calculators, etc.)--because people actually  LIKE this instead of pay raises. Duh!

9. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

I think it's because they were not taught to set goals and when they reach them, set new goals to reach.  Perhaps they were given too much and not taught to save up for something, thus the value of the dollar.

We want so much for our kids to "have" but "giving" in the wrong way actually hurts them.

So right you are, BuffaloGal1960!

10. taburkett profile image58
    taburkettposted 10 years ago

The island syndrome creates this adoption pattern in most people.  This affliction causes the individual to believe they are restricted due to the risk of self-imposed hazards that surround their island.  The individual suffering from island syndrome believes they have reached maximum status for themselves.  Therefore, they adopt an anti-achievement and anti-success mentality.

Great answer! 'Island dwellers' (excellent metaphor) are losers, since they don't live up to their potential and therefore don't contribute their most to society. Too many island dwellers nowdays in the US, not willing to stick up for right/truth.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.  There are many people who believe that there is only a certain level of success that they should achieve, no more, no less.

11. Ceegen profile image66
    Ceegenposted 10 years ago

I see a lot of good answers, but one thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet, is evil.

There are some pretty evil people out there. Selfish and cruel people, who will literally do anything to get ahead. These types of people do exist, and it becomes evident the higher up the chain you go.

I want absolutely no part of it. I'm not willing to step on other people in order to climb to the top. I just will not do it.

I don't believe in "evil", but otherwise I totally agree with your perspective: there ARE selfish and cruel people out there, and I've been the victim of several and expect most have. Good for you for not taking that path, Ceegen!

2. Ceegen profile image66
      Ceegenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you don't believe in "evil", then do you believe in "good"?

3. Laura Schneider profile image84

Not exactly, not in a religious sense. I believe in right and wrong. Right and wrong are determined by the laws, rules, and mores of our society. Someone can be wrong without being "evil" in other words--they simply did something against the "rules".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)