Why are there laws in some places to prevent (or attempt) people from killing th

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 10 years ago

Why are there laws in some places to prevent (or attempt) people from killing themselves?

Why does the government get to decide what is lawful to do to one's own body? Aren't these laws just a waste of time considering that people who really want to die will do so no matter what the laws are?

2. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image37
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 10 years ago

No, this body and soul does not belong to the person who want to kill himself. He is only the custodian of the soul. So custodian can not take a decision on destroying it. It is bestowed on custodian from the Almighty and All Powerful Allah. ( God). This is the reason why Islam consider suicide haram.( Prohibited)

3. Borsia profile image41
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

The laws are out & out silly.
    If someone wants to kill themselves that is their own business. While it might be a good thing to intercede in some cases the majority of people which chose to end their lives do so for good reasons.
    If you have a terminal or incurable disease nobody has any right to tell you that you must suffer to the bitter end in excruciating pain with no hope other than to live another day in even greater pain.
    There are all too many who tout pain management as though it works. Being an amputee I can tell you first hand that it doesn't. Drugs like Morphine don't really stop extreme pain they simply make you forget from one second to the next just how much the last second hurt. But the pain continues.
    It is one thing when you know that one day it will subside, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But if there is no light and the tunnel only gets darker until the end there is no great honor in feeling that pain.
    I for one would choose to go out in my own terms and at the time of my choosing and no laws would stop me.
    There are those who want to claim that somehow we are indebted to some god or another to endure. Others claim that any life is better than no life no matter how miserable and painful that life might be.
    If this s what they choose then that is their right and they are welcome to suffer as much as they wish. But many of us don't have gods in our lives. Nor do we feel any obligation to please society with suffering.
    The reasons for suicide can be widely varied and some may be more valid than others but that is for the individual to decide. So long as they are of sound mind and understand what they are doing they should be able to do it with dignity in the most painless means possible.
    Not to mention the lessened cost both monetarily and morally to society and to their family.
    Finally there is the mess. A .357 to the temple or a shotgun in the mouth doesn't really improve one's property value and someone had to scrape all that up. Far better that they should pass quietly with minimal clean up required. Not to mention that not everyone is proficient enough to make a clean kill and could end up being a very expensive burden on family and society.

1. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly my opinions!!

4. lburmaster profile image74
    lburmasterposted 10 years ago

Because we do not want them to kill themselves. Killing yourself is a selfish act of desperation. They are taking themselves and forcing their loved ones into emotional turmoil. But what state of mind are they in? For example, some individuals are bipolar. They are more likely to spontaneously attempt suicide, and some of them succeed. Yet when they phase out of the desperation, they have no desire to attempt suicide. Also, other individuals are more emotionally unstable. Should we allow them to harm themselves because of a hormonal imbalance? That doesn't seem responsible of us. We are not taking care of our fellow man if we just allow them to do whatever they want. Would you allow a serial killer to murder your favorite family member? Sounds like the same question to me.

1. Borsia profile image41
      Borsiaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is no comparison between a stranger murdering someone against their will and that person deciding for themselves that they no longer want to live. Of course they should be of sound mind and understand their act. Many have good reasons to die,

2. lburmaster profile image74
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are good reasons to die? Are you nuts? In Florida, we could put you under supervision for 36 hours easily. But committing suicide is just accepted?! For someone to decide they no longer want to live is a sign of failure and giving up.

3. Borsia profile image41

Have you ever watched someone die in inch at a time in excruciating pain from a terminal disease like cancer?
      I reserve the right to make my own exit when I am ready.
      There is no wining in such a situation only pain.

4. lburmaster profile image74
      lburmasterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry. I don't really want to stop you if you don't care about life. Ultimately, it's still giving up. My grandmother lived and fought as long as she could to remain with those she loved even though she lost the war. Depends on care for others.

5. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

Do you think in the past it was because of insurance issues?  I understand now that if you have insurance for a certain number of months, your family will be able to collect from the policy. I have no idea, but I think Oregon has a right to die (or something like that) policy. Maybe some answers from others will clear this up. It's an important question.

1. Borsia profile image41

They have a "right to die" law but they are afraid to allow people to use it.
      They fear lawsuits from families and interference from Federal courts.
      It is tragic for those who want to end their suffering, its their body and should be their choice!

6. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

People of a sound mind may argue their right to die, but not everyone who wants to commit suicide is of a sound mind. It is such a shame for a person, who may otherwise be helped to come back from that precipice, to lose their life. It is a permanent solution to what may well be a temporary problem/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)