Should gun owners be able to bring guns to church

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (75 posts)
  1. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

Should gun owners be able to bring guns to church

Now some gun owners are upset because Starbucks won't let them bring guns into their stores. I guess it's difficult to drink coffee without a concealed weapon. If the coffee is served too hot, the customer can only yell and not shoot the store employee.
    Gun owners claim the second amendment right to carry guns - anywhere.  So, should we all be pack-in at church? At amusement parks?  Chucky Cheese? The White House? The Vatican?  Daycare? protest rallies? In prison? In Court? In schools? During an NFL game? What do you think?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8380721_f260.jpg

2. CraftytotheCore profile image75
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

You bring up a very valid point Reality. 

Our high school installed metal detectors about 20 years ago.  They've since been removed and replaced with live police officers. 

I don't own a gun.  I am not against the constitutional right to bear arms. 
    But, I think that this right was written so that people could protect their homes/homesteads. 

Having said that, as a mother, I'm not ok with someone packing a gun at a family restaurant or amusement park.

I think it should be up to the venue or facility to write the rule...check it at the door.  But then again, I live in the north where we don't have as many freedoms to carry guns (such as like hanging one in the back window of our truck).

3. IDONO profile image59
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

Many people do carry guns in all of those places. That doesn't mean they have to carry it on their hip, like western days.
         Unfortunately, I'm sure, if you Google all the venues that you listed above, you will find that there have been violent crimes committed in all of them, not involving guns. It's just an ugly fact of life. They are public places. When someone can go into an elementary school and shoot 20 children, why would anyone think that can't happen in a church or park? Being a house of worship means nothing to the deranged person that is on some sort of a warped mission.
         If I carried a gun, (which I don't) I probably wouldn't carry it to church. But to an amusement park where there are kids and other places? Sure I would. You can't afford to not be realistic these days.

4. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
    BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years ago

Some crimes have been thwarted from pistol packers in church - which certainly are not exempt from crazy psychos.

I believe if you have applied for conceal and carry, you should be able to carry it wherever you wish if they do not already have security.

I am PRO gun ownership.  I think people kill people and if we can't defend ourselves with guns against criminals who are going to obtain guns, then what do we have? 

This opinion is not negotiable for me.  I know a lot of people are against gun ownership, but I am against the government telling me what my rights are and are not.

1. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 10 years agoin reply to this

amen to that. i personally dont own a gun,and really have no interest. i'm not against people owning or carrying though.

2. RealityTalk profile image60
      RealityTalkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Was that a Freudian slip "some crimes have been thwarted FROM pistol packers ...?"  My kids r threatened by you carrying a gun around them. To protect my rights, maybe I'll take it from you to protect my kids. I don't like gov. telling me no.

3. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68
      BuffaloGal1960posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It means just what it says.  This happened this year a few times. Someone came in church and was taken down by pistol packing church goers. Hooray!

4. RealityTalk profile image60

Your church sounds like a fun place on the Ponderosa. Reminds me of the biblical verse 23A:16B "and Jesus said, 'yea pack-in heat is good. god our father said be prepared to kill man before heith kill youith." lol.

5. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68

It wasn't my church, but yes, the Bible is for self-defense.

5. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
    AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years ago

Guns are not that helpful against knife attacks; research shows that if your attacker is less than 10 feet away, you'll not get enough time to draw your gun--you won't survive. If your attacker is 21 feet away, you have 6.3% chance of survival unless, of course, you carry the gun in your hand at all times (In that case you'll need to have trained reflexes or you'll be dead by the time you evaluate the threat and initiate a action).

Note: a ninja sword is a better option since you can draw them faster, and since they are longer than a knife, you'll have a huge advantage.

In case your attacker is carrying a gun, you'll survive if you are faster in drawing your gun than him pressing the trigger. If it's a surprise attack, you won't reach your gun fast enough to protect yourself.
    Note: a ninja star or ninja throwing knifes is a better option since you can reach them faster, and they are long range.

Guns should not be allowed, since there is no way of identifying a crazy psycho, from those who are carrying it for protection, unless, of course, if they invent some technology which will help us do that (but still, the psycho might take the gun from a non-psycho gun owner).

1. stuff4kids profile image60
      stuff4kidsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

America has the highest rates of gun crime. In countries where there is no constitutional right to bear arms, there is less gun crime. Q.E.D. It ain't rocket science. wink

2. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68

If someone is breaking down my house door to rape me or my daughter, I have plenty of time to draw my gun and I don't even have to be a good aim.  I also know the right way to use a knife, not everyone does.

3. RealityTalk profile image60

stuff4kids, a person of sanity. 
      BuffaloGal1960, a little paranoid? Paranoia & other mental illnesses account for a lot of deaths by guns.

4. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Never surprise BuffaloGal1960 on Halloween if you wanna live!!
      I never said you shouldn't have a gun in your house, I'll recommend keeping one.
      Taser is a better and safer option for outside.
      knowing krav maga is useful when you are unarmed.

5. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68

I don't call it paranoid. I call it prepared.  There was recently an escaped convict in my area, for example.  He was finally captured but while on the loose for a few weeks, he was considered armed and dangerous but I was ready for him.

6. RealityTalk profile image60

buffaloGal, there r killers, rapists, burglars & jaywalkers on the loose in every city.  Maybe we should all keep some hand grenades or rockets or A-Bombs just in case. lol. Not paranoid?

7. profile image0
      CalebSparksposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We could do without the exaggeration, Talk. Nobody here is talking about using hand grenades or nuclear weapons for self defense. Why don't you write something reasonable or just admit BuffaloGal is right?

8. RealityTalk profile image60

CS, people like u & Buffalo are scary.  U r paranoid & see a bad guy around every corner. Guns kill. That is their purpose. And u can't understand why some people r concerned about guns brought to family events? & your ok w/limiting types

9. profile image0

We are simply aware of the world we live in and take the appropriate measures to prepare for it...common sense things. If you don't think that's important, that's up to you.

10. RealityTalk profile image60

CS, I doubt I am any less aware of the world than u or Buffalo. I just choose not to shoot everything that moves. If we all expect the worst, we will get the worst. I'm not against guns or self-defense. I'm against initiating trouble & paranoia.

11. profile image0

@realityTalk
      If youre not against guns, what exactly is your argument? I'm just a little confused because you seem to speak very passionately against them

6. stuff4kids profile image60
    stuff4kidsposted 10 years ago

My only question for folks who want to take guns to church would be, "Do you think Jesus would have a gun strapped to his thigh if he came in to your church?" Or, if He came to you in church and asked you, "In whom do you put your faith, your gun or Me?" How would you answer?

1. AMAZING THINKER profile image61

You mean all those who put faith in Jesus never get shot??

2. stuff4kids profile image60
      stuff4kidsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No not at all - I'm not a churchgoer. But the question isn't about bearing arms per se, it's about churchgoers carrying arms to church and, if they believe what they say they believe, then that is the question they should be asking themselves.

3. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68

I'd have a gun if Jesus was sitting right next to me.  It has nothing to do with faith. America has high crime because of it's lack of punishments. It has nothing to do with guns. Explain Chicago.

4. profile image0

i think people get confused with the christian faith. it isnt a blind or foolish faith. a christian soldier wouldnt refuse a weapon because they have faith in God. Not that church is a battleground, but i dont see anything wrong with just having one.

5. RealityTalk profile image60

stuff4kids, I think I'm the only 1 who understands what u mean. Jesus was about love, not pack-in heat. Church is a place of love & trust, not hate & suspicion. If 1 can't ever part w/a device meant to kill people, something is wrong.

6. AMAZING THINKER profile image61

Gun or no gun, killer always finds a way.
      If guns are not allowed someplace, the rule is for everyone, no exception.

7. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68

Well there are more Christian haters than I care to know.  Some domestic, some not.  Therefore church is no longer any safer than another public establishment.  Churches are not exempt from psychos. God gave me a brain for self defense. I use it.

8. RealityTalk profile image60

I agree churches are full of crazy people.  People who believe in invisible winged men & a bearded Superman & women that give birth without impregnation.  Maybe you should all carry guns to protect yourselves from each other.

9. profile image0

LOL. wow. i love sarcasm. youre obviously not speaking of christianity. there is nothing like what you described in the bible. with the exception of the virgin birth.

10. RealityTalk profile image60

I'm glad u have a sense of humor. We all shouldn't take ourselves too seriously.  Just a note though, the virgin birth is not in the bible; the idea was created 300 years after the claimed death of Jesus.

11. profile image0

what make you think it was created 300 years later? Even most secular historians agree that the earliest writings that speak of Jesus was prior to AD 70. In these writings are the virgin birth

12. RealityTalk profile image60

Rt after I wrote it, I knew I wrote it wrong. Virgin birth was in 2 of the 4 gospels. The virgin birth was not accepted by the church until the 2nd century. I never said anything about Jesus.

13. profile image0

by what church would that be? I realize you didnt say anything about Jesus. He just typically who the virgin birth leads to, and primarily what the overall writings are about

14. RealityTalk profile image60

I'll leave that to you to research, but it is commonly known. A Google search using "what century did church accept virgin birth" will give you a start.

15. profile image0

I will check that, thank you for that information. Whether the church accepted it or not though doesn't dispute the fact that it was written about prior to AD 70. Within the life time of many of Jesus followers.

7. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 10 years ago

there are certain places i dont think guns should be allowed, like the white house for obvious reasons. i actually dont see a problem with bringing one into church or a starbucks for the matter. i think the majority of people really are only carrying it for protection or just to show off without any real intent on using it. people who would shoot a starbucks employee for the coffee being too hot , most likely doesnt care if they are allowed to bring one in anyway. When you put rules like this in place , only decent citizens are following them.. I also believe however an owner of a starbucks, bar, NFL stadium or whatever has the right to put whatever rules they want.

Some valid pts. I would suggest though that if guns r allowed around my children then the White House should be no exception. I value my children higher than some gov. elect. (s)he is replaceable, my kids r not.

2. profile image0

I think his family would disagree, but i see your point. i only say not the white house because he is at a higher risk for getting shot than kids are.

3. RealityTalk profile image60

I will not call the President's family the 1st family; sounds like royalty. MY FAMILY is the 1st family. The life of my family & myself is at least as important - & most important to me. I can elect a new President, but my family is irreplace

4. profile image0

I'm not calling them 1st family either. I have a daughter and  of course her life is more important to me than the pres.  My only point really is that he is more likely for someone to want to shoot than yours or my kids. do you disagree?

5. RealityTalk profile image60

christianankist, Certainly, I agree w/u that there r more people who may wish harm to the President than me or my family. My pt thou is if a gun is needed 4 protection as claimed, even the White House is not exempt. We r ALL as important.

6. profile image0

we are ALL just as important. good point

8. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 10 years ago

Absolutely. Church is a public place open to anyone. A mass shooting could take place here as easily as any other place where they've happened. Making church a "gun-free zone" makes the congregants all the more vulnerable. Murderers love gun free zones. What's so hard to understand here?

I believe logic and reasoning are invaluable to this life. What's amazing is the number of people on Hubpages that say they represent reason and logic, and yet fail to see what's right in front of their noses. Maybe they do not believe violent people exist or that horrific things can happen to them. To them I say do as you will, but keep your hands off the rights of others.

1. BuffaloGal1960 profile image68

I agree with you.

2. RealityTalk profile image60

You are right about one thing, "the number of people on Hubpages that say they represent reason & logic, and yet fail to see what's right in front of their noses."  Remind you of anyone? You. lol.

3. profile image0

RealityTalk, are you willing/able to disprove my answer to your question or will you just continue to make silly remarks to cover your lack of a good answer?

CS, you have no sense of humor. The rights u want protected r one's of your choice. U care little of the rights of others. Guns r not necessary everywhere we go & they frighten many. U.S. has highest gun ownership in world & it has not made u

5. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Reality Talk, you have NAILED IT!  SOME folks just DON'T get it. Thank you for clarifying the situation at hand.

6. profile image0

Gm, why don't YOU ever accept the conclusions of others? Do you think you are somehow "enlightened" over everyone else because you've had some education?

7. gmwilliams profile image84

Caleb, you are DROWNING.....stop answering questions, let the GROWN UPS talk, you are SHOWING yourself for you are REALLY are....hmmmm.....

8. profile image0

Gm, you DO NOT tolerate opinions that disagree with yours. But I don't really need to say it...your writings speak for themselves.

9. AMAZING THINKER profile image61

Grace always makes valid points, and yes, she is more enlightened cause she has a deep understanding of this subject. Her statements are based on logical thinking.
      I wouldn't blame her for not tolerating nonsense.
      At least try to make some sense!!

10. gmwilliams profile image84

Amazing, thank you for your support.  Caleb IS what HE is. Sad.....

11. profile image0

Well thanks, Gm. Your personal attacks on me have helped me to better handle criticism from others.

9. profile image0
    delleaposted 10 years ago

I think that a person with a clean record who is legally licensed to carry a firearm should be able to carry a firearm wherever they so desire, including in church. In fact, if teachers and staff at schools were allowed to carry guns there would probably be far fewer school shootings!

All of the anti-gun nuts out there are terrified of ANYBODY owning a gun, which is utterly stupid... if anything they should be terrified of any CRIMINAL who is toting a gun around ILLEGALLY, and constantly putting the screws to legal gun owners by making the laws and fees to carry them legally isn't doing a damn thing to criminals who can pick up an unlicensed weapon from any crackhead on any street corner!

And don't anyone waste their time showing me all of the puffed-up idiotic "statistics" that legal gun owners are behind a higher percentage of crime in this country, I have friends (and family) in law enforcement with years of experience who know that said statistics are all false. And, by the way, if a legal gun owner does happen to commit a crime with a firearm, guess what... then they are no longer a legal gun owner, they are a criminal, and they've forfeited their right to bear arms... period. But just because SOME people commit crimes with firearms does not mean that nobody deserves the legal right to own and carry them!

After all, how many idiots drive and talk and text on their cellphones all the time? Your chances of getting killed in a car accident by one of those morons is MUCH greater than that of getting hurt by a legal, law-abiding gun-owner (and even drunk drivers for that matter).

It's about time that the anti-gun nuts pulled their heads out of their back-sides and saw the light!

Never surprises me gun advocates commentary is full of words like "Idiot, nuts" & angry rhetoric. I would rather face a texter than a gun carrying angry paranoid believing a device designed to kill people should be carried by teachers & pries

2. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree RealityTalk we aren't "idiots" for not wanting a return to the wild west. Most people believe themselves to be far more adept with a firearm than they actually are. People with weak arguments hurl insults instead of logic.

3. profile image0
      Mklow1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure how we are returning to the wild west by keeping guns legal.

10. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 10 years ago

I have no problem with people owning guns as long as there are some controls for the safety of the public like being sane, storing  them safely and not using them as entertainment instead of fireworks on holidays.  But what the heck is wrong with people these days, even in the Wild Wild West wasn't this wild.  People worked hard to get guns of the streets it was a sign that civilization and family has set up there, now it seems some are working harder to get them back on the street. What next gunfights at the Corral to settle disputes? Don’t like my politics you shoot me? Park to close…bang your dead?

I thought we lived in a civilized society at least the last time I looked there were no gunslingers walking down my main street.  How about giving a bit of peace of mind to those of us of who just might feel a little insecure to see someone packing a gun in Starbucks in fact, it might seem to us you’re up to no good.

Well said Justsilvie.  I just watched an episode of Nancy Grace Unsolved Mysteries where a preacher's wife, Mary Winkler, shot her husband in the back w/a 12 gauge shotgun. I wonder if he'd be alive & she not in jail if there was no gun in the ho

2. profile image0
      Justsilvieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I remember they did a study about prisoners that were in there for murder and most had killed "1" person and in a moment of rage and passion and most with guns. I am so tired of the vigilante mentality, it makes a good script but sucks in reality.

11. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 10 years ago

I believe guns should never be in a part of our lives except for people like the police, army or air force. We should be living in harmony and one should not be carrying guns unless you have intention of doing harm to others. The question is mostly about protection but if everyone thinks of harmony then there will be no need of carrying guns for protection.

Edhan, There will be many who say you are naive & a sitting duck to the criminal.  I say, I wish there were more people like you. This would be a better world.

2. profile image0

Edhan, I just have a question: Do you believe that everyone walks around thinking of harmony? That would be wonderful if that were the case. But the world of which you speak sadly does not exist.

3. edhan profile image37
      edhanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Caleb, I do believe this world does exist even though it is within a small communities of people around the world. I for one is teaching my children with such mentality. If everyone does their little bit of teaching, then soon the world will be it.

edhan, I agree. I teach my children the same. The problem is America is full of angry, self-absorbed paranoids who watch too many violent TV shows/movies & play too many violent video games. If u expect the worst, that is all you'll find.

5. profile image0

Edhan, this idealistic society may indeed exist in certain situations, but is nowhere close to being the norm. Until it is, we must deal with the present circumstances.

6. gmwilliams profile image84

Great answer, totally agree.

7. edhan profile image37
      edhanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agreed. But I have faith that when we start teaching our younger generations the right way in thought, it is still hopeful for the new younger generations. A little at a time will be helpful in a long run.

12. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

They should. You never know where that other fictional character, the Devil can turn up. I mean, as long as we continue to blame everything other than the increasing levels of mental disorder for violence, why not.

1. gmwilliams profile image84

Good satorical response!

13. jfklagaurdia profile image57
    jfklagaurdiaposted 10 years ago

Gun owners should be able to bring their guns wherever they would like. It shouldn't make a difference whether the person is in a supermarket or church. Also, just because you're in a church does not mean that you are more safe than anywhere else.

14. profile image0
    romana tarotsposted 10 years ago

Definately a big NO. One goes to church to pray, have a quiet  time. As one dresses up decently when one goes to  church so guns come no way in defination of being decent , but undecent they definately are.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)