Why was I asked to edit a hub in order for it to be featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Michele Travis profile image66
    Michele Travisposted 10 years ago

Why was I asked to edit a hub in order for it to be featured?

I wrote a hub. The editors sent me the email telling me to edit it and then it would be featured. This.  I edited it, received the same email. Edited it again.  Then it was featured for about 20 minutes.  After that, it was gone!  It was on the second page of  Religion.  But, only for 20 minutes.  What did I do wrong?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8386614_f260.jpg

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
    AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years ago

May be it is because of the links in your photo credit; lose the http://.
    Is it allowed to use photos from Wikipedia? Make sure you don't use copyrighted images.

Michele Travisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was allowed to used the photo.  Wikipedia lets photos be used.  That is one of the reasons I love to use those photos for hubpages.

2. AMAZING THINKER profile image61
      AMAZING THINKERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What about those other photos?
      BTW in which category did you win the hubby award? Just curious!

3. Michele Travis profile image66

Religion,  but that was a while ago.

3. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

I was about to ask a similar question. I wrote a hub earlier today and followed the same tips I always do. There really isn't anything different between this hub and the others I've written and all of the others have been featured on the first try. I'll have to look for an email about it, but for some reason I'm getting the feeling that whoever reviewed it simply didn't like my topic.

1. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am pretty confident that programs run the first go around. But HP has some folks who do actually reviewing. I would assume by a red flag or random of about 10% and probably both. And there real job is to make sure the machine is working right. BUT!

2. Michele Travis profile image66

Why would this hub receive a red flag?  There are a lot of hubs about scientology much worse then this one.

4. profile image53
    graceinusposted 10 years ago

I have three Hub's that are not featured and have never received an e-mail from the editor to edit my Hub. But I am aware through other mean that if I make changes or some adjustment it may get featured. But I never heard of anyone being informed by e-mail before. Is notification by e-mail the normal way to be informed?

Great  question.

I have had hubs that have been put on the featured pages.  But, a few of them need to be improvement.  This one I received 3 emails.  I edited it 3 times  It was featured only for 20 minutes.  I am not kidding.  Why was it taken off?

2. profile image53
      graceinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I beliewve Eric may have explained in best in has comment to sheilamyers. I have no real answer as to why it was featured for only 20 min.

graceinus you, Eric are probably right.  Perhaps the editor did not like it.  Perhaps it was red flagged. I am pretty sure, I will never find out.

4. jstfishinman profile image60
      jstfishinmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have had a few hubs flagged because Amazon or E-Bay adds weren't matched to my Hub. I have also had some red flagged because I used my general business Akers- Enterprise,com and had it cleared using one of my store that are a part of my business.

5. Michele Travis profile image66

But  I have am not making money on hubpages.  I just write when I want to.  Which is not all the time.  Just now and then.

6. Ericdierker profile image46

I think there is something to this statement also. It is just fine for us not to make money here. However the business of the site is to make money. I suspect that we need to make some effort to make money here. Probably a category for us who do not.

5. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Michele, re-read your hub very slowly. Check for grammatical and punctuation errors, as well as, sentence structure and flow of complete ideas. Most of them are easy to miss if you blink. But the new QAP is strong and picks up everything. I think QAP/M-Turk may be rating your hub lower than you expect. Take your time.

Thank you,  I appreciate your answer very much.  I just don't understand why it was featured for a very short time.

2. Ericdierker profile image46

That is just horrible to hear. In other words if a hub is partially written using -- oh I don't know -- say Ebonics or real Aussie slang for literary effect and accuracy the QAP/M-Turk is going to bonk it on the head for quality? It is hard to switch

Well,  I think the editor didn't like it, so that person just took it down.  Oh, well

6. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 10 years ago

Michelle, the answer is people. If some editor does not agree with you Hub, it is not going to be featured. I had a Hub once that was picked up a day later by an overseas publication. I was accused of using pirated material, despite my effort to show them the different dates. I gave up on that one.

I write on another site that has a grammar freak--I know I make a lot of mistakes, but this person does not care one bit about content, only about misplaced commas. The clients who buy my work, give me good reviews, but my overall score has been dropped, so finding good assignments to build up a higher level, is difficult.

Simply stated, some people just don't get it.

They do not agree with the subject, cannot accept a contrary opinion or just do not like the way you write (which is very good in the opinion of this former newspaper reporter and editor).

I agree with you.  Maybe they just didn't like it.  Oh well.

7. moronkee profile image70
    moronkeeposted 10 years ago

I have had similar experience. I usually do a proof reading, tweak the title and check the flow of my ideas. I resubmit and it is featured again.
    Thanks for asking.

1. r-o-y profile image55
      r-o-yposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've had more than a few hubs that were feaured and than later removed because they now decides they are not up to their standards. Its becoming very confusing!
      I've had more than a few hubs that were feaured and than later removed because they now d

8. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years ago

If the moderator does not like your topic, it will not be featured. If another moderator allows it to be featured and another one does not like your content, they will un-feature.  I guess it just depends on who likes it and who does not.

You are right.  A few people let me know that.  Guess that will let me know what to ask next.  How do people know what moderators know what topic people like.  But to be honest. I don't write to get paid, I just write what I want to write.

2. Ericdierker profile image46

Many just write here, not work here. And many confuse our desire to question and understand as whining about HP. This last  exchange shows that critical inquiry leads to more understanding. Thanks Michele.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)