Do you sometimes feel responsible for things you aren't responsible for?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. IDONO profile image60
    IDONOposted 10 years ago

Do you sometimes feel responsible for things you aren't responsible for?

Sometimes I feel it's my responsibility to help someone out of a jam that they created themselves; fixing something someone else broke. Feeling guilty for something someone else said. I don't know if this is because I'm a caring, helpful person or a complete nut in need of some intense counseling. Your take?

2. Diana Lee profile image76
    Diana Leeposted 10 years ago

I have these same feelings often.  I can't quite understand why, but I find myself helping those who treat me like dirt and who would never go out of their way to help anyone, let alone me. It's like I was chosen to be misused and if I treat my tormentors extra special maybe it will rub off on them and they will treat others better, including me. Nuts? This could be, but you are not alone.

1. profile image0
      Lizam1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you don't feel you deserve respect and kindness.  You do!  Maybe consider consulting a coach or a counsellor because ongoing unhealthy relationships are seriously bad for your health. I speak from personal experience.

2. IDONO profile image60
      IDONOposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't change. But, if you repeatedly do this expecting positive results, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The one reward you can count on is that you will feel good about yourself.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Yes. I feel as though it is my place to fix everyone and everything when it comes to my family. I've had many sleepless nights worrying about such things. How am I going to do this, how am I going to fix that. Although I know this is very unhealthy, it is somehow ingrained in my personality. I just want everyone to be happy.

1. profile image0

We aren't responsible for other peoples happiness, however we can be there for them as a good friend and sometimes good friends point out the other persons foibles that keep getting them into problems.

2. IDONO profile image60

Well, that's your family.  When you are lucky enough to have and keep a family, it's a privilege to have them to worry about. We all love feeling needed.

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was referring to my whole family IDONO. Not only my immediate family.

4. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 10 years ago

I used to do this.  It didn't help the other person usually because it created a helpless victim or dependent mentality.  It all comes back to setting clear and good boundaries and knowing when to say yes or no.  The pattern usually starts when we are very young and we take on the role of the rescuer.  Being generous and helpful does not lead to guilt.  So, if that is what is happening working with a counsellor about setting boundaries and recognizing when you get pulled into other peoples messes would be helpful.  In my work one of the important strategies I use professionally to make sure I am really helping someone is to get them to look at their strengths, and what would they change about the current situation so that it doesn't happen again.

1. IDONO profile image60

I'm very aware that there is a very fine line between practicing acceptance and becoming an enabler. I just haven't found that line yet. I'd rather cross it than leave someone behind.

2. profile image0

IDONO it does take practice and empathy but two people ending up in the mud helps no-one:-)

5. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 10 years ago

IDONO you keep those feelings and own them. That is you. And I like you. I suggest we never suppress what we truly feel.
    But we do not have to act on them and do not need to let them rule our life and behavior. Just notice them and then act right. I think they are great feelings to have. I think they will instinctively guide you to help others. Where I might have to be motivated to change behavior to help others. You may have to get motivated to change behavior to help yourself. I think you have a better starting place and default position than me.
    You are cool, do not change too much please.

1. IDONO profile image60

I won't. I had a lot of people reach out when I reached my alcoholic bottom. I was broke, dirty,unemployed, and basically spiritless. Now I do well because of them. Paying it forward is how I stay that way.Helping is a privilege. Thanks, Eric.

6. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 10 years ago

You sound like a wonderful human being who understands that no matter how it may seem that a person created the jam that they're in, you can never know whether or not (given the exact same circumstances, the exact same mindset, the exact same upbringing as the other person,) you yourself might have acted in the exact same way.  I believe that our ability to think as we do, our ability to be kind, to manage money, to accept change, to cope with sorrow or depression, and on and on are all gifts we've been given by the nature of our birth and by our nurturing.  We like to think that our nobility, our righteousness, our success in the world is of our own doing, and thus are quick to judge another, but truly, it's more just to believe that there, but for some gifts bestowed upon me, go I.

1. IDONO profile image60

Sounds like you know something about gratitude. I wonder how many things blow right by us because we look at them as entitlements instead of recognizing blessings for what they are? They are uncountable.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)