How do you cope with lies said about Christians???

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. MissMelissaK profile image80
    MissMelissaKposted 10 years ago

How do you cope with lies said about Christians???

Someone stated earlier "If you ask me one of the greatest deceptions in this country actually comes from Christians. They want people to believe that sex is the devil with a piece of candy on a string trying to lure us into a dark alley."   This could be the furthest thing from the TRUTH.  God created sex for marriage ONLY.  He did not create us to be self-absorbed lust-filled users and procreators out for only ourselves.  How many lives have been aborted in the US in the name of convenience?  Millions!  How many diseases have been spread yearly?  Millions!  How much evidence does one need??

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 10 years ago

It depends on the person making the statement. There are some people I've talked to several times to try to explain things and they just keep doing it. There's no need to keep trying to convince them they have things wrong. If it's a person who will listen and not try to blow things out of proportion, I'll explain whatever they want to know. I guess it all comes down to knowing when to do battle. When it comes to people who make statements like the one you used for your example, it's best just to walk away from them. All they want is to stir up trouble and see if they can get you argue. If there's a group of people reading a hub about the topic leave your comment and don't argue and then go write a hub refuting the statement - as I did with the one I wrote about some of the misconceptions about Christians. If it's a face-to-face discussion with a group of people, get with the other people later and tell them what you believe.

MissMelissaKposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're right.  There is no point in arguing.  God said clearly in the last days that people will be blinded to the TRUTH.  What is right will be seen as wrong and what is wrong will be seen as right.

3. calynbana profile image77
    calynbanaposted 10 years ago

I have found the best thing to do is ask questions. When you hear somebody saying something that misrepresents Christianity ask them where they learned that information. If it is an opinion ask why they hold it. The more you ask questions, the more thought needs to be put into answers. Critical thought can lead to clearing up misconceptions and ignorance.

Unfortunately people are often justified in their descriptions of Christians- due to the number of uninformed, unbiblical Christians there are out there. We are not supposed to defend Christians, we are not supposed to defend Christ, we are supposed to be ready to provide an answer for the hope that we have. People are going to believe and say what they want, unless God changes their heart. We can either let it bother us, or we can keep doing what we have to do and know that God is sovereign.

You're right.  People will believe and say what they want, regardless of what we believe and so unless the Holy Spirit moves their heart, chances are they will see us as only fools.

4. profile image53
    tbHistorianposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8488296_f260.jpg

I pray to my Lord that he forgive their incompetence and lead them to knowledge.
    Lust is the devil, but those who remain non-believers also remain incompetent.
    Some incompetent need much more evidence and that is why the large numbers of STDs.
    Many incompetent need much more evidence and that is why many children find themselves to be a parent too soon.
    Lastly, the remaining incompetent need much more evidence and that is why millions of fetuses are killed through abortion yearly.
    Immoral leadership broadcasts self-absorbed lust-filled parlance common to those with their immoral venues.
    The cling-along avenue is filled with welcoming immoral speedsters beckoning followers through immoral phraseology like addicts chasing fairy dust.

Wow!!! That was good! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I like the part about "addicts chasing fairy dust"...That is so true, it's not even funny.

5. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

There will always be people who will defend their morals by attacking yours.

If your belief is strong you should not care what others say or do to you.

I agree.  You are correct.  I care because it offends the spirit within me who adores and loves Jesus with all my heart.

6. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

Many people will attack us in order to justify their own behavior. If they can convince someone they are doing no wrong, then they can feel better about their actions.

You're right.  I think we are living in the last days.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Amen MissMelissa.

7. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

Religion is all about faith.
    In my opinion if you believe whatever it is you believe you should care less what someone else has to say. Life is a personal journey. We are free to make our own choices. Deep down I believe there are people who enjoy having spirited debates!
    Rarely if ever does a fight over religious beliefs lead to a conversion or disavowment. It's a waste of time and energy!
    Personally speaking I believe in God but I do not necessarily believe everything written in the bible. I believe false prophets have always existed even in the biblical era and not every contribution made to the bible was made at "God's behest". I also have concerns about the "canonization process" or how it was decided upon to include and exclude certain books/scriptures to form the bible.
    Even those who proclaim to believe every single word of the bible tend to "cherry pick" the verses they agree with to justify their behavior or treatment of others. If the world followed the "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and "Judge not lest ye be judged" there would be no such thing as war nor would there be any need to have debates between believers and non-believers. It would be a case of "live and let live."
    Although I myself am far from being a "bible thumper" I am keenly aware that one of the 10 Commandments is "Thy shall not kill". To my knowledge there is no "asterisk" denoting "exceptions" such as (in time of war, in cases of self-defense, or as punishment for a crime). As an observer the only time this commandment is used as a "0" tolerance is when it's used to attack those who support "pro-choice" or euthanasia.
    If one is truly to believe everything written in the bible then there are numerous times (after) God gave the commandment; "Thy shall not kill" he (ordered) the killing of men, women, (children), and animals belonging to enemies of the Israelites on multiple occasions!
    I do not question God. However I do question the men who (claim) that God "instructed" them to kill men, women, and children, just as I would of any group today who proclaimed the same thing!

Murder is the UNLAWFUL taking of life.  If you look closely at scripture, God did not take any life UNLAWFULLY.  When God gave instructions to kill, it wasn't for innocent people.  It was due to their rebellion and sin against God.

2. profile image0
      AlienWednesdayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

MissMelissaK:  If I am understanding what you said is. If people sin against God and rebel then it is okay for them to be killed?  Or only God, can give the orders to kill?

3. MissMelissaK profile image80

God is all powerful, all knowing and in control of everything.  Who are we to tell God he is wrong?  He created us for his glory, and not the other way around.

8. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 10 years ago

Your insinuation that sex outside of marriage leads to a plague of abortions and disease is the exact sort of SEX = SIN attitude that I was referring to. So how exactly am I lying when you so clearly demonstrate exactly what I was talking about? It really doesn't make sense.

Now, I will admit that Christianity can be sex positive in the context of a marriage between a man and a woman. Outside of that context it is sex negative (which you show with your own words). I’d be perfectly willing to revise my statement to say that “Christians…want people to believe that sex OUTSIDE OF MARRIAGE is the devil with a piece of candy on a string trying to lure us into a dark alley” if that would make you feel better.

What we should be doing for our kids is teaching healthy sexuality. Period. And the reality of our world today is that many of our relationships take place outside of the context of marriage (even for Christians). Teaching kids (and adults) that sex outside of marriage is shameful, sinful, evil, wrong, bad, etc. is no way for them to develop a healthy relationship to their sexuality.

If you want to talk about evidence, fine. Take a look at Europe, who in every category (abortions, teen pregnancies, STDs, etc.) has vastly superior outcomes. Is that because of biblical teaching? Heck no, it’s because they actually allow their health professionals to teach health and tell the Gods and politicians to get the hell out of their schools, which allows their kids to actually receive comprehensive and accurate sexual education rather than the crap from the 7th century that we give our kids.

“If premarital sex came in a bottle, it would probably have to carry a Surgeon General’s warning…There’s no way to have premarital sex without hurting someone.” ~Sex Respect

“What if I want to have sex before I get married?...Well I guess you just have to be prepared to die. And you’ll probably take with you your spouse and one or more of your children with you.” ~Second Chance.

“If you take birth control your mother probably hates you” ~Pam Stenzel

"Being able to have sex does not make you any different from a rat in a warehouse. They have sex too. Is that what you want to compare yourself to?" ~Missouri’s LifeGuard Youth Development

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)