Are we awareness or consciousness as separate from our bodies ?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Harishprasad profile image72
    Harishprasadposted 10 years ago

Are we awareness or consciousness as separate from our bodies ?

There is this vast difference between us humans and animals that they are perhaps not aware of their past, present or future plight in the sense that we perceive in our minds. Sometimes, it comes to my mind that is this awareness or consciousness not our real selves ?  We are oblivious of it and concentrate on all aspects relating to body only. We rarely give attention to it and the way it works. As a result, we come under the spell of what all our body experiences. All religious thought is also directed to this abstract thing called self or spirit. Is this spirit or self caged in our bodies?

2. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 10 years ago

No, It is this awareness that has confused us into thinking that we are more important than we actually are. Animals have awareness too. Recently I saw a video of a dog that approached a busy crosswalk and stopped until the cars stopped to let cross the road. I don't believe that it is trained to do that, it is aware of the danger. Also, there are some birds that carry shell fish over rocks and drop them knowing that the rocks will break the shells so they can eat the fish inside. There are countless other examples of awareness in animals. We are simply being selfish in believing that we are a special entity trapped in a human body.

All brains can generate thought, some more complex thoughts than others of course. If you do not gain knowledge your awareness field never grows. There will be a point when Life itself will become aware. Right now it is reluctant because it sees what knowledge in the absence of wisdom can produce. Nuclear self destruction. We remain awareness without wisdom because we do not understand what we are.

Harishprasadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mintinfo, this is the answer I anticipated but it is very remarkable that this is the first one and very appropriate and contains everything that appeals to my concsience. Having such a wisdom is very rare, friend. I salute you and many thanks to you

mintinfoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Harishprasad. My observation of life forces me to think outside the box.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 10 years ago

I do not agree with a couple of the statements put by Mininfo.  Do brains generate thought?   Mininfo says they do.  I'm not so sure.  I prefer the idea that brains carry and transpose thoughts into learned actions and thoughts.  The brain being somewhat like a very complex and senstive 'switchboard' and that the thinking goes THROUGH the brain rather than is created by it.   The thinking lays down the wiring or paths, so to speak.   However, this is only my opinion and is no more valid than Mintinfo.   

It is my opinion that awareness is just that.  Being aware is sensing all that is 'out there' through the five physical senses plus all the internal senses as well - without interpretation as to what they are or putting any labels or evaluation or judgement on what one is aware of.   Take a look at, say, a door knob.  We immediately identify it as a door nob because of our learning, our conditioning.   This is not true awareness.   

The part of us that never changes is our sense of "I."  We might not put a label on it but it is the same "I" at two years of age as it is a twenty-two or one-hundred-and-two.   Consciousness operating as awareness is found in every livng thing, even plants such as trees. 

Mintinfo also says, "If you do not gain knowledge your awareness fails to grow."    I dispute this.   I think a tiny newborn baby's awareness is growing as their eye-sight improves, but knowing that the baby's rattle will make a funny noise is not awareness, it is knowledge learned.

Your question is the spirit caged in the body?  I'd say no.  But it is anchored there whilst we are alive and inhabiting it.   But we are not contained by our skin.  Our physical senses - which are tiny slits of windows on an illimitably wide universe convince us that we are.   But we can and often do move our consciousness outside of our physical parameters when we sleep.    Astral travel might not be commonly recognized but many claim to have experienced it.

And, of course, in deep meditation when a moment of real samahdi occurs and the meditator identifies with the whole world and more, they experience themselves as this Whole not as prisoners in a body.

Tusitala Tom,you have pointed out two extraordinary experiences, one is astral travel and the other is identification of self as whole in deep meditation. Indian thought revolves around these two. You want to say that everything is whole and not many

mintinfoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your observations Tusitala Tom. There is observation and consensus, what I fear is when consensus is corrupted by ideology. That is the true enemy of awareness.

I meditate and exp travelling sensations but is not conclusively convinced

4. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

The true self (spirit) is typically catatonic in most people. In fact, this is why Homo sapiens was created -- to create a temporary "blackboard" on which we could have continuity of consciousness. Those who reject their own spiritual nature are wasting this precious opportunity to reawaken. This is why it says in the Christian Bible that only denying the Holy Spirit is an unforgivable sin. Forgiving sin is an act of healing spirit. If you say you have no spirit, then it cannot be repaired. Simple.

Ego is the barrier.

If you entirely give up ego's separateness and lack of love and unconditional generosity, then you allow the awakening of the true, spiritual self. That's when miracles happen.

You are right that our spirit,soul or self ,whatever we call it , is  asleep. We have to awaken it. You agree the separateness of the self from the body. lone77star, I really relish your answers that originate from a repository of wisdom and insight.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)