What kind of dog breed is the best one for little kids?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Dvd Zermeno Perez profile image86
    Dvd Zermeno Perezposted 10 years ago

What kind of dog breed is the best one for little kids?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8575161_f260.jpg

2. dejvimanushi profile image53
    dejvimanushiposted 10 years ago

Hi . In fact almost any type of breed is a very good socializing start for little kids with the animal world. In my opinion you should choose a Labrador Retriever or maybe Golden Retriever. They are very intelligent dogs and playful too . Your kids are going to enjoy hanging around with it . As a matter of fact Labs have a strong sense of family living and they will treat you and your children as they would treat their own puppies. So I recommend you to go for a Labrador .

3. electronician profile image79
    electronicianposted 10 years ago

I think larger breeds are generally better with kids, because they don't get as bothered when kids pull their hair or fall on them and stuff, whereas smaller dogs are more likely to get scared or hurt by children and react aggressively.

Golden retrievers or Labradors are definitely a good choice, as dejvimanushi says. So are Newfoundlands.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I dont know how old your kids are, David, but this is a great answer. Goldens and Newfies are too of the best. We do not have Newfies here, because of the heat, but Goldens do okay, should also be okay in Mexico City.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

That puppy in the picture is absolutely adorable. I've never owned retrievers or labs & I've always had a fondness for the Siberian Husky, however I have had 2 generations of German Shepards & they were great with my kids when they were younger & now that they are older.

5. grejotte profile image76
    grejotteposted 10 years ago

I don't think it's the breed you should worry about, but the dog itself. They all are different and have different personalities and past history(if taken from a rescue shelter).

But you should know that any dog can bite, even the ones that looked really patient and seem not to bother when kids pull their hair. Kids around dogs should ALWAYS be supervised.

I a lot of bite cases, the dog didn't look like he was bothered by the kid, but he was sending body messages that often are not understood by the parents nor the kids. Those signs when ignored can rapidly escalate to growling and then biting. A lot of parents , when a bit accident happened, said that their dog never bit before and that they just bit out of nowhere. But, the dog was in fact giving a lot of warning signs that weren't acknowledged.

I recommend you get a dog from a shelter since they know better the personality of the dog and if they will go well with kids, and also because when you get a puppy, you don't know yet his adult personality.
    I also recommend you look up for "Calming signals" on google or youtube to learn the dog language so you can prevent any biting accident.

It's also the parents job to teach their kids how to respect the dog space and needs so the dog don't lose his patience and an accident happens.
    smile

6. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 10 years ago

Seconding Grejotte's answer wink. It's not a breed thing, it's an individual thing. Kids should NEVER be allowed to pull a dog's ears or hair, climb on it, poke at it, etc., but you want a dog who will give you time to intervene before it reacts if this does happen. Children must be very closely supervised, and taught as early as possible to read a dog's body language and know when to leave it alone. They learn proper treatment of animals from what adults let them do, so if you let them mistreat an animal now then they will continue mistreating it in the future. You want a dog that's even-tempered, calm around the kids, accepts that you are at the top of the family hierarchy, and that trusts you to take care of it. It's in an animal's nature to be leery or frightened of another animal's young, so it's extremely important to foster positive interactions between your kids and the dog. Learn the danger signs, and learn how to respond to decelerate a situation if the dog gets stressed.

I work with shelter dogs, and have seen every imaginable breed or mix of breeds go to families with kids. I've also seen strictly "no kids" dogs turn into great family dogs because they finally got into a home where the parents stressed proper treatment. From personal experience, I'd also say that unless you're an experienced and hands-on dog owner, puppies and young kids are a really bad combination. Puppies don't know the boundaries yet and can learn some very bad things from kids who are also just learning. Young dogs around 1-2 years old seem to do well, and of course older dogs who are already accustomed to kids.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)