Was Bill Nye wrong to debate Ken Ham?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

Was Bill Nye wrong to debate Ken Ham?

Many prominent scientists refuse to debate creationists because it implies evolution and creationism are on equal footing. Never mind that these kinds of debates rarely, if ever, change minds, is it wrong that they happen? Is Bill Nye giving weight to a non-scientific theory or is he extending an olive branch between two sides that continuously butt heads?

2. TwerkZerker profile image74
    TwerkZerkerposted 10 years ago

Personally, I thought the debate was a dumb idea for both parties.

The first thing I noticed is that the debate shouldn't be "Evolution vs. Creation" because these two things explain two very different ideas. Creation explains WHY we're here, in addition to how things got here. Evolution is a system that describes how we got from "point A to point B", but leaves the question of how and why we got to point A in the first place unanswered. So there's already a major difference.

It would have been better to make this a "abiogenesis vs. creation" debate.

I was also kind of disappointed how Ken Ham used some of the weakest evidence when making his case. Here I was thinking he'd mention the incredible complexity of the human eye or the physiognomy of the bombardier beetle--things that just couldn't have developed in stages...but no, he cites only the Bible, leaves out a ton of other tangible, quantifiable evidence out. And he seems to just be under the assumption that if you're not a young-earth creationist, you're doing Christianity wrong. Uh...no.

And I really wish it wasn't Bill Nye that was presenting the case for Evolution. I know the guy is smart, a great inventor, and a good author, but he's not an Evolutionary biologist. At all. He got a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering at Cornell (along with some "honorary doctorates" that let him guest-teach basic astronomy and ecology). That hardly qualifies him to have this debate, in my honest opinion.

I am right now working toward this same degree, and nothing in the degree program has anything remotely to do with Evolution, Darwin, radiocarbon dating, or any of that jazz. Sorry Nye, the degree means nothing in this debate.

I'd like to see a do-over of this debate with an actual Evolutionary biologist and a Christian who brings more evidence to the table than the English translation of the Bible (better yet, a Christian who actually understands the Hebrew words being used in the original text...or someone like Steven C. Meyer). Then, they should be discussing abiogenesis vs. creation. That would be a debate worth watching!

Interesting question! Thanks for asking!

1. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Christian who believes in evolution. So, it should never be Evolution vs. Creation. It should be Evolution "and" Creation. Ham has his limited interpretation of scripture, but Jesus was not a literalist like him.

3. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

M.T., great question. Bill Nye is not a prominent scientist. He's a TV personality with some science background.

An olive branch is good, but Ken Ham does not represent all Christians or believers. Ham once asked his audience, "Who do you believe, God or science?" Of course, his audience answered, "God." But Ham had loaded the question with a false dichotomy. It's not science versus God, but science versus Ken Ham and his limited and literal interpretation of the Bible.

There is a biblical timeline, for instance, that is compatible with those of mainstream science. The literalists (whether atheists or creationists) will never find this -- they will never see the spirit of the Bible where Truth resides.

I object to the debate on these grounds. Both Nye and Ham don't know what they're talking about with regards to creation.

Science studies the products of God's creation. Spirituality (the core of religion) studies the sources of creation. They are complementary. Nye doesn't understand this; but sadly, neither does Ham.

I have seen miracles that confound science and I've spent my life studying science, including astronomy, electronic engineering, geology, space science, computer science and more. It's fascinating to see both sides more clearly and how they work together in harmony.

I'm happy to be among the rare few who actually does change his mind occasionally, if I hear data and logic that is compelling. Like I used to believe in Anthropogenic Global Warming, until I investigate Climate Gate and found fudged numbers and fraud. Nye still has delusions about this. Too many scientists have jumped the UN's IPCC ship because of fraud (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtevF4B4RtQ).

Concerning creationism, I believe in creation. I've seen some of it first hand (miracles), but I also believe in evolution. Ham has twisted science and scripture. He thinks death started with the Garden (Gen.3). But he's confusing spiritual death with physical death.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)