Did your grandparents have favorite and disfavored grandchildren?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

Did your grandparents have favorite and disfavored grandchildren?

Favoritism not only exists in immediate families but in extended families.  I read an article regarding favoritism that grandparents show among their grandchildren.  There are some grandchildren who are definitely treated better than other grandchildren.  Factors include whether or not the grandparents like the parents or other emotional and psychological familial factors.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8537195_f260.jpg

2. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 10 years ago

I never knew either of my grandfathers -- I met my maternal grandfather, saw him twice before he died, but never my paternal one. Of my grandmothers, one never played favorites. She treated ALL kids like her grandkids, and whenever we went to visit she had all the neighborhood kids stopping by and calling her "grandma" too. The other grandmother, however, plays favorites BIG TIME. She has no issue playing family members against each other, and seems to make judgments based on her assumptions about people rather than getting to know them. For instance, she has always assumed that I'm like my mother, and that I'm spoiled because I'm the youngest. As such, I've always been the not-favorite. Neither is true in the eyes of the rest of the world, but she's convinced, and I've felt her displeasure since long before I could understand why I was treated differently. She is the only grandparent still alive, but is no longer interested in dealing with the person she thinks I am, and I am no longer interested in her scorn for that imagined person who always stands in front of me when she looks my way. This is where I'm thankful that it is possible for us to redefine "family," allowing us to regard only those who participate in a mutually supporting unit as such.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree w/you re: definition of family.  Family is defined by people who love, respect, and support each other.  It does not necessarily mean blood relations.  Blood relatives can be quite toxic and deadly!

3. MsDora profile image94
    MsDoraposted 10 years ago

My grandmothers loved all their grandchildren, but both of them favored their first grandchild, or so it seems to me.  It may not even have been intentional, but there is something special about the first.

I have also witnessed that the children of the favorite child get special favors, but in a loving family, none of this is acute enough to prohibit the flow of love. Grandmothers' hugs still make everything better for everyone.

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 10 years ago

Yes! I will not go through the examples of both sets of grandparents yet offer some is who the first born is of both gender, who the youngest is of both gender, and the differences of the parents of the grandchildren regarding their siblings position in the Grandparents perspective and perceptions. I think that pretty much agrees with what you pointed out with the question's introduction.

5. Lori P. profile image70
    Lori P.posted 10 years ago

I was my grandma's favorite but only because I loved her more than my siblings loved her. I was happy to see her and always wanted to sleep next to her. I made her bed and served her meals. I just adored her while my sisters ignored her. My own father and mother have favorite grandchildren and they aren't my kids. That hurts, but oh, well. I finally got over it because I realized that I wasn't their favorite child to begin with.

6. grand old lady profile image85
    grand old ladyposted 10 years ago

My mother and mother in law never favored any grandchild. But my sister was a single parent for a while, and the entire family came to love the child in a special way, including my mother. We all feel partially like a parent to this child who is now happily married and a mother. My mom loved the child because they slept together every night and when my sis had work, my mom took care of the child. Up to now, she's viewed by all of us as more than a niece and like our child, She made my grandmother very, very happy. She also has a son and we dote on him because we often get Skype visits with him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)