What causes so many Liberals to be blind to the excesses, brutalities, and gradu

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What causes so many Liberals to be blind to the excesses, brutalities, and gradual loses of

liberties that is occurring under the Obama Administation?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8875655_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 10 years ago

I'm no Obama fan, but let's keep it real.  Much of this started under Bush - the "patriot act" is just the one obvious, glaring example.  Both parties are more than willing to strip away the rights of the people for their corporate interests.  I get tired of Obama being blamed for everything.  People have such a seething hatred for him, they don't see that all the politicians are selling us out - ALL of them.

1. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.

Reality checks: There is no widespread abuse or loss or brutalization of civil liberties associated with the Obama Administration, but there are so many claiming that this is so, that it is increasingly believed.

3. TJSMITH profile image79
    TJSMITHposted 10 years ago

It is all about labels.  You are rooting for your team, seeing the party Democratic or Republican and not looking at the actions of the candidate.  People vote because of the person is in their party only and do not bother to do any research on the issues.  I was a Democratic all my life then switched to Republican and now I am fed up with them too so I am going to list myself as Independent.  People forget history.  I have spoken to many immigrants from other countries and they think America is blind at the road we are heading with our freedoms and privacy slowly being taken away.  With Obama it is hard to have a discussion with anyone because I have been called racist for not liking what he is doing.  It is not the man's color, it is the man's background, his current and past comments, and what he is doing today scares me.  I think people voted for Obama because everyone was fed up with Bush, me personally as I did not vote for Bush either but did not vote for Obama  also because I never heard of him and did my research and my findings were alarming and nothing was ever talked about in mainstream media only on talk radio and random blogs.  People wanted to be part of history.  I was there when I voted for the first black American.  It is this historical moment that also why people do not want to challenge Obama.  He was the first black and the first black president to be impeached.  Who wants that even though I think he should be impeached.  I may even write a Hub on why Obama should be impeached and then I will know I will be on the NSA's hit list.  Obama could have done a lot of good for this country but obviously he does not care and the Obamas are spending taxpayer's dollars left and right on expensive historical record breaking vacations and destroying this country in between.   Blaming Bush is old now, it comes a time the "buck stops here" at Obama's desk.  Bush is gone.  I asked a friend of mine who was upset with Obama and voted for him twice.  Why did you voted for him again?  He felt he needed a second term to redeem himself.  WT @#* blank blank I said!  If you are a business owner and you hire an cashier and they do not do a good job.  You do what....wait for it... you fire that employee.   Obama works for the people, he is our employee and if a employee does not do a good job, we fire him.  People "liberals mostly"  will not wake up and "smell the coffee" until their everyday conveniences are suddenly taken away with gov. mircro management.

1. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

It was not so long ago that Democrats were screaming that the president  was annihilating civil liberties and Republicans supported the president.

Now it is Republicans screaming; Democrats supporting.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe a lot of people are fed up with the whole political game of cheering for one team over another. "We're right and you're wrong" mentality is not helping anybody but those seeking to win elections, gain power and money. We're on our own!

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8875954_f260.jpg

Actually I believe a lot of people are fed up with (both) parties. I see blindness in both camps! Some people hate that Obama even exists and there is nothing he could (ever) say or do that they would agree on. On the other hand there are just as many "liberals" who believe conservatives don't have (hearts) and would rather trample over the poor, seniors, and underprivileged than allocate a single tax dollar to assist them.
    The problem we have in today's politics is both parties place a higher value on (party loyalty) than they do with what is best for the country overall. There is no one in power to point out the fact that there are some great minds in both parties who have ideas that could solve many of our issues. The fear is if I help you solve problems then (your party) will get re-elected. The old adage of seeking candidates who are able to work both sides of the aisle to get things done has been thrown under the bus.
    In fact the word "compromise" is dirty word in today's political climate. The days of Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan hammering out comprises are long gone. The worse thing a Republican can do in the eyes of his or her party is to say one good thing about Obama. Even when Chris Christie thanked him for his assistance in expediting government assistance after the hurricane he was attacked by his fellow Republicans. Today you have to hate everything about the other guy in order to keep the support of your party.
    Neither party is standing on holy ground in my opinion. However to compare Obama to Hitler or even to suggest that the country is worse off than it was when he took office in January 2009 is being at the very least disingenuous. The sky is not falling.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in 2016. However ultimately it is the congress that passes bills.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

I think that the Obama administration has unintentionally shined a light on the convoluted machine that is Washington. From my perspective, well meaning people elected a well meaning president, but the system isn't set up for such people to accomplish anything. Before this president, I had no idea how much power congress has, nor how badly counties are gerrymandered for specific candidates.

We can say all we want that the administration in power is the one responsible for all the bad stuff happening in Washington, but the reality is that the system is severely broken. No one, however well meaning, will be able to overcome the mountain of crap built into the foundation. And the frustrating part of it is that most people don't target the system, they just keep 'losing faith' in whatever candidate was elected. The pendulum of support between Democrats and Republicans doesn't accomplish anything, it just ensures that the system stays broken.

6. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
    wba108@yahoo.composted 10 years ago

Reasons for blindness, excesses and brutality:

1) Liberalism is best described as a secular religion. It rejects a Christian worldview in favor of secular humanism. Since liberals lack a faith in God, they look to the government as their source. They have a misplaced faith in government.

2) Liberalism relies on a distorted idealism, liberals think they can perfect the world through government. Because of this, they reject the wisdom of thousands of years of history. They reject all the common sense lessons of the past because these lessons failed to create a perfect world.

3) Liberalism is rooted in pride and elitism. Liberals have innate sense of superiority over others. They're the enlightened ones who need to tell the rest of us what to do for our own good.

4) liberals are moral relativists with few fixed convictions.

5) Liberalism is fear based and controlling.

6) Liberals believe that people are little more than evolved animals who need to be shaped by their betters ie. (the enlightened ones)

When you combine a secular religion, idealism, moral relativity, a distorted view of people, fear, control, elitism, pride and an unflinching faith in the state. what you get is a totalitarian ideology.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image85
      M. T. Dremerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's a lot of far-reaching and hateful generalizations of liberals.

7. LandmarkWealth profile image68
    LandmarkWealthposted 10 years ago

Liberty is something that has been slowing eroding for two centuries.  As the gov't grows, liberty is lost.  There have been very few political administrations that have even attempted to turn the tide in the other direction. 

Conservatives (not necessarily republicans) tend not to trust the gov't to resolve very many issues in society.  This probably stems from the historical record of gov't making almost every issue they attempt to address worse than before the problem resolution began.  Liberals for some reason seem to believe that gov't is capable of far more than it has demonstrated it can do successfully.

I have always seen it as a question of practicality.  Neither liberals or conservatives are particularly happy with their gov't.  Yet, conservatives seem to be resigned to accepting the fact that gov't will never be an efficient or effective entity. They would rather see society have greater control over their individual destinies without the false hope of excessive social safety nets and social engineering.  Liberals seem to hold out hope that no matter how bad gov't is, someday elected officials will develop an incredible sense of altruism and begin to operate in effective ways that produce a more prosperous society. No matter how bad collectivism fails, they seem willing to continue to pursue it out of a sense of morality...even if the overall result is consistently the opposite of what they desire.     

When I speak of liberals and conservatives...I am speaking of the average citizen.  Elected officials rarely fit the traditional definition of either.  Most masquerade as one or the other and are typically just a bunch of narcissist's.

1. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
      wba108@yahoo.composted 10 years agoin reply to this

The whole left wing collectivist experiment is an exercise of insanity led often by those who are under no illusions but seek raw power.

2. LandmarkWealth profile image68
      LandmarkWealthposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't necessarily disagree when we talk about leadership.  But most establishment republicans are not interested in greater liberty and individualism either.  They don't respect the views of those they claim to represent.

3. wba108@yahoo.com profile image78
      wba108@yahoo.composted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ya, the establishment Republicans the neo-cons have a lot in common with  the liberals. They pay lip service to the Constitution, grow the government and participate in social engineering.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)