Do you think General Welfare Programs will ruin our nation?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Foodeee profile image60
    Foodeeeposted 9 years ago

Do you think General Welfare Programs will ruin our nation?

Mainly, Giving welfare checks to individuals with no income. OR  Free housing to those who are homeless.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8949617_f260.jpg

2. my_girl_sara profile image76
    my_girl_saraposted 9 years ago

Define ruin. Welfare, equality of wage, healthcare, they are all factors that play into the growing numbers of Americans leaving the middle class and entering into the lower classes.
    http://theweek.com/article/index/255634 … ton-is-mia

The problem, in my opinion, is that too many people think that more goverment involvement is the answer. Government needs to get out of our way!

Foodeeeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I should have been more clear. By ruin I mean put our economy in a state where our government and society go bankrupt.

Sorry I can't edit my original question.

2. dashingscorpio profile image78
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welfare programs make up 11 percent of the total federal budget. If we eliminated it right now it would be many years before seeing a dent in the deficit.  Healthcare 27%, Pensions 25%, Defense 22% are the major costs. We owe China $ for the wars

3. Foodeee profile image60

Its true the federal gov spends 400 million on welfare programs while the total budget is 3.6 billion.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Agree totally!

3. WiccanSage profile image92
    WiccanSageposted 9 years ago

I grew up in a so-called 'welfare neighborhood' where everyone was impoverished enough to be on something-- even if just medicade and food stamps. Many got everything- day care, housing, cash, bill help, etc.

I do think welfare is a safety net we need, but I believe the population that take advantage of it exceeds the population that actually needs it.

I'm not insensitive to living in poverty, but I've learned from my own experiences that there is a pervasive mentality that keeps a lot of people impoverished, and welfare significantly helps contribute to that mentality.

The system is too flawed to really work. It needs some serious rethinking.

Nice comments, I agree something needs to be done with the system the way it is now.

4. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 9 years ago

Absolutely.....I think there are more people on welfare that actually abuse the system more then the people who actually need it. If your on government assistance, you can't afford the lifestyle/children you have, why would you keep having children?? There are many people that need a little help to get back on their feet and can't get assistance because of the lazy freeloaders. Both our welfare and prison systems is need a drastic makeover. We spend 40K a year on inmates but don't help people who actually need it and are a productive part of society.

Its true the system is being cheated. How can it be fixed is the real questions. I was under the impression inmate cost were higher than that but I don't really know.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU, PREACH ON Alphadogg.  Couldn't have agreed with you more!

5. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

It's doubtful the country would go bankrupt aiding children, the elderly, and sick. Hopefully we can avoid getting into anymore multi-trillion dollar wars for awhile being financed by China purchasing U.S. T- Bills.
    We owe China a ton of money which keeps us from pressuring them to make changes with regard to human rights in their country.
    The population rate in the U.S. has slowed down dramatically. In fact one of the reasons there are fears regarding Social Security is there are not enough young people to pay into it to support us aging "baby boomers". As we retire and die off there are likely to be more job opportunities for younger generations.
    Oftentimes people forget that innocent (children) are the majority of people who are supported by welfare.
    They had no say in who their parents would be or how their formative years would be shaped. Until we can find a way to pass on aid to poor children without entrusting their parents with money/benefits for them it will be difficult to make any radical changes.
    Back in 2006 a report revealed at that time about $59 billion is spent on traditional social welfare programs. $92 billion is spent on corporate subsidies. So, the government spent 50% more on "corporate welfare" than it did on food stamps and housing assistance in 2006. http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-sp … tatistics/ 
    Even with the government "bail out" it was geared towards "Wall Street" and not "Main Street"
    Our battles are not so much about lack of money but rather how tax revenues (should) be spent. The average person's image of someone on welfare is of someone refusing to work and living in the "lap of luxury". The reality is the people the government is trying to help are the innocent (children). No industrialized government will ever turn it's back on children.

Although I agree with most of your answer. Let's not over simplify the situation with repeating "innocent children"  throughout you statement. And I don't think any intelligent person feels those on welfare are in a "lap of Luxury"

2. WiccanSage profile image92
      WiccanSageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I worry more about what welfare does for the people- kids who grow up with a mentality of dependency, who don't really understand what it is to be self-sufficient (not temp. users, but regulars). I think business & job growth is the answer.

3. Foodeee profile image60

Wiccan, that was what I was really looking for. I didn't word the question in a way to make it obvious but the true answer is how can people become dependent on themselves or Self-empowered. <--- you like dashing?

4. dashingscorpio profile image78

Foodeee, Innocent children is not an overly simplification. What 5 year old has control over their circumstances? If it weren't for having children most adults would not qualify for getting welfare. No child asks to be born to lazy parents.

5. Foodeee profile image60

Its an over simplification since many different circumstances can be true to allow someone to qualify for welfare not just having children. Please don't tug at heart strings for a system that is supremely flawed. I'm not saying dump it, but fix it.

6. dashingscorpio profile image78

The typical "long-term" welfare family is comprised of a mother and two children. Single mothers make up 90% of the welfare recipients. Yes, there are some adults who get food stamps or disability funds. However the 90% on welfare involve children

7. Foodeee profile image60

I can't find records to support your stats. But, I think we can agree that the system needs repaired in some manner.

8. dashingscorpio profile image78

Agreed!

6. Snøwman profile image57
    Snøwmanposted 9 years ago

If it's done the right way. It will help. If it's done the wrong way, it won't.

How welfare should work.

Money and supplies are received by donations and not taxes. Taking someones things without their permission is always theft. You wouldn't rob the bank to help the poor, but you would donate to charity to help the poor.

If you give a man a fish you feed him for a lifetime. We need to teach them how to live on their own. We can't have these people dependent on the government. Yes, we can give them things, but we also need to help them be independent. Many of the poor are willing, they just need a little kick start.

Also welfare is a state issue. There should never be federal welfare or federal health care programs. The 10th amendment says the government can only do what is in the constitution and nothing else.

I know that "promote the general welfare" is in the preamble. Back when it was written welfare meant well being or happiness. It comes from the word weal. The government shouldn't provoke the people, they shouldn't be unjust, etc. that's what welfare in the preamble means. It doesn't mean using taxes to help the poor.

Thanks snowman I didn't know the meaning behind welfare. That does make sense now that you say it...  Reread your fish statement. LOL... But, I know what you meant.

2. Snøwman profile image57
      Snøwmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for letting me know. I totally messed up the quote there and now I can't edit it.

7. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Foodeee.......Ruin our Nation?  It's fairly blatant to me that our misdirected, corrupt and clueless government is doing a bang-up job in ruining our country in numerous ways.  No need to isolate one program.

However, having said this, "welfare programs" shouldn't be the first programs to be attacked, especially at this incredibly shaky economic period.

What sort of mind-set is it that would consider beating up on those at poverty level and below?  Can we really choose to take away even FOOD from people who struggle to survive....while the wealthy Fat Cats continue to OWN the country?   Shall we cruelly say, "Oh well, too bad for the less fortunate?"

Of course there are "abuses" in the system......with ALL programs.  We also spend money to establish watch-dog departments to most all programs.  Maybe they should earn their money and really monitor social welfare programs closely.  It's vital that limits be imposed where ever feasible.

Except for the elderly or truly disabled, government assistance should be utilized as a temporary support system, while men & women get an education, job training, family planning and household budget counseling.   Not every individual just automatically knows and understands these things.

A little education, guidance and temporary support goes a very long way in preparing and encouraging people to be self-sufficient.
    And speaking of.....If anything can ruin our Nation......I suggest lack of or poor EDUCATION can do it!

Thanks for your voice.  It is so very true that education is a keystone in the way our countries prospers. Pennsylvania education is on the DOWNSWING unfortunately. I have 2 boys in school that I have to reteach what the school fails to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)