Why would anyone strive to become super morbidly obese?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. ladyweight profile image66
    ladyweightposted 9 years ago

Why would anyone strive to become super morbidly obese?

I was watching a program on Discovery Chanel where one woman stays home and eats non-stop while her enabling husband works to feed her. She wants to become super morbidly obese to immobility. I found this rather shocking. Why would someone want to become super morbidly obese knowing the health risks and drawbacks associated with this condition?

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years ago

I can't say for sure without seeing and speaking with the person and maybe not even then, but she's controlling those around her who are waiting on/serving her. I don't know if that is her intent. Is someone trying to make her do something she does not want to do and immobility is the way out?

Some therapists hold that those who want to be so big have a need or desire to control more space around them, like a kingdom -  or to be bigger than other people for power's sake, but those people still want to walk.

A woman I knew became morbidly obese so that she would not have to work, grocery shop or do errands for her family, drive a car (did not want to ever be asked for rides), and several other reasons. She also did not want to ever visit others, but insisted that people come to her place, like the man in the Russian novel who never moved from his sofa.. She became life-threateningly ill, addicted to narcotics, and ruined her life, because of immobility from obesity.

1. bethperry profile image84
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think there is a lot of truth in your answer.

2. ladyweight profile image66
      ladyweightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Patty. I love your perspective, makes perfect sense. For the most part, the human mind is pretty mysterious.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I recall the Russian couch dweller's name - Oblomov, also the name of the novel. He felt if he stayed in bed, or on a chair/sofa with both his doors open, everyone would come to him; they did. The story satirized 19th nobility as lazy/controlling.

3. junkseller profile image77
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

You say that as if we were rational creatures, but we aren't, and why do we do anything? Even simple things like shaving legs and tweezing eyebrows. Extend that to the whole gamut of beauty efforts, from the gallons of lotions and potions we use to the seemingly infinite procedures, and you are talking about an enormous amount of time and resources that ultimately make little sense at all.

Sometimes that goes to an extreme. Intentional obesity is certainly an example, but that could be very similar to anorexia or bulimia, both of which are devastating eating patterns that a lot of people die from. I tend to lump plastic surgery into that category as well. Slicing up one's body to insert sacks of foreign material so that one has bigger boobs is dangerous and non-sensible. Still people do it all the time.

It could also be fetish-based. Some men like large women. Or, it could be similar to men who pretend to be babies who desire being completely taken care of. It might be related to BDSM and have elements of bondage, control, submission, etc.

Anyway, I guess my point is that even though this specific case is unusual, the underlying mental issues probably aren't. We as a society need to do a much better job of letting people know that they are fine just the way they are.

1. ladyweight profile image66
      ladyweightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good points for thought. There are so many reasons for this behavior that only someone in that situation would be able to explain their motive for our understanding.

4. mikejhca profile image93
    mikejhcaposted 9 years ago

A person I know likes to be treated like a king. He wants people to serve him. He does not want to do things himself. Being weak and obese helps him get what he wants. So he does not want to lose weight. If he got in better shape then people would expect him to do things for himself.

Being over 70 pounds overweight and really weak from not exercising enough gives him more control over other people. At one point he was supposed to temporarily use a wheel chair while he got in better shape but he liked the wheel chair too much. It gives him more control over other people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)