Which movies do you think they're overrated?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. breezepeace profile image61
    breezepeaceposted 9 years ago

Which movies do you think they're overrated?

sometimes when I see a movie in the box office and hear about its succes , I get so excited to watch it but when I do, I feel as if I completely  wasted my time, whether it's drama, fantasy, or comedy, there is some movies that even though they have succeeded ,I think in my humble perspective, they're compeletly overrated.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11814722_f260.jpg

2. saifhayel profile image58
    saifhayelposted 9 years ago

Inglorious Bastards, The Hurt Locker, Gravity, Avatar, and most of the movies that talk about Jewish people suffering in WW2.

1. Aime F profile image69
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Completely agree with The Hurt Locker and Gravity.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Generally, I find that the more hype a film receives, the less I enjoy it. I tend to prefer "B" grade and indie films over mainstream megabuck studio fare most of the time. For example, I still haven't seen "Avatar" because I know there's no way it'll ever live up to the hype.
    As I get older I find that I have little to no interest in most of the so-called "summer blockbusters" so I'll never see half of them.

breezepeaceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Avatar is pretty good movies, I wasn't excited to see it but it managed to prove it self to me, may be you sould check it out.

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you saw "Dances With Wolves" with Kevin Costner you essentially saw "Avatar". It literally is the same story!
      What made "Avatar" unique was it's 3D technology which cannot truly be duplicated at home. Some movies have to be seen on big screen

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

For me what makes a movie "overrated" is not how big the box office was but how much the (film critics) praised them and the Oscars that are given in the coveted "Best Picture" category.
    Some examples in my opinion are:
    "Argo", "Shakespeare in Love", "Braveheart",  "Out of Africa", "The Hurt Locker", "Around the World in 80 Days" and so on.
    Sometimes "sleeper hits" can be overrated as well such as "The Crying Game". These movies become hits due to "word of mouth".
    However blockbusters are not usually hyped by film critics as much as they are by average folks who plan to see the movie. A lot of these movies you know in advance are going to be "blockbusters" BEFORE they start making them!
    "Star Wars" sequels, "Avatar" sequels, "The Avengers" sequels, "The Hunger Games" sequels, and "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" would all be considered bombs if they don't gross over $300M in North America alone. These are called "event movies".
    They have enough hardcore fans to be "critic proof" with regards to box office numbers and the studios are going to promote the hell out of them. Even now every day there is an article posted about "Batman v Superman" and that movie is scheduled for release in 2016! That's a lot of "drip" marketing!
    Sometimes I go to a movie to see it on the "big screen". In other words you have an idea or have been told if you wait to see the DVD or watch it on cable you will not have nearly the same experience that you would have had you seen it on IMAX or in 3D.

1. Discordzrocks profile image81
      Discordzrocksposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with most of what you said, but Braveheart. Your killing me smalls.

5. junkseller profile image78
    junksellerposted 9 years ago

Titanic is the easy pick to top my list. What a complete and utter pile of garbage that movie was. Sure I cried during it, but only because it wouldn't frickin' end.

After that, anything by Michael Bay. I got a hold of the script for his next movie. Here it is:

Scene 1: Hot girl running, camera focused on chest.
    Scene 2: Slow motion explosion.

Roll credits.

6. deecoleworld profile image75
    deecoleworldposted 9 years ago

Sequels!!! Most recent movies (from 2008-present) with sequels are so overrated (Transformers, The Amazing Spider man, Iron Man, Twilight, etc.) A lot of action movies, movies made out of books, some comedies, 99% of horror movie.
    To be quite honest most recent movies (from 2008 on) whatever the genre I find very overrated and wouldn't pay money to see.
    Especially Bachelorette, Pitch Perfect, 12 Years a Slave, The Devil Inside, etc. By the way I can tell that 50 shades of crap movie is gonna be overrated ( tried to read that book couldn't pass the 1st chapter)

I totally agree with you, actually I begin to enjoy pexar movies more than  the actual  movies.

2. deecoleworld profile image75
      deecoleworldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

perhaps I need to start watching pixar movies then .... hahaha

7. breezepeace profile image61
    breezepeaceposted 9 years ago

for my own personal answer it gotta be TWILIGHT, transformers, that new turtle crap movie, oblivious: I was so excited about it but I totally got disappointed and the list goes on.

1. deecoleworld profile image75

So true!!! Same with me!!!!

8. profile image50
    Donald Rodellposted 9 years ago

In my opinion, most movies you see being played in large theatres are overrated.  As commented previously, the summer blockbuster is always overrated and a terrible option to go see (unless you don't have to pay!).  Especially the mass infestation of summer super hero movies, in which I hear students at my campus rave over and say they are the best they've ever seen!   Such as the Iron Man movies and the damn Avengers, the fact that I know people that think The Avengers is the best movie ever makes me want to cry.  Other popular movies that I believe to be overrated are Forrest Gump, a movie i used to love as a kid but now that I am older, I don't see why people think it's so good.  I feel most Spielberg movies are overrated, except Jaws!  Any horror movie that has come out in the past 10 years is probably awful, there are just a lot of bad films coming out and have come out sadly.  Most main stream American films, that have come out in the past 10 years, are more than likely not worth your time.

and I thought, I was the only one noticing, the approach that the film industry is making now to cover up the horrible void stories  is NUDITY,and bunch to provocative scenes that honestly disguss me.

2. profile image50
      Donald Rodellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You are definitely right, producers and filmmakers are relying on sex and nudity to sell their movies, or ample amounts of blood and violence, which is normally poorly done through CGI as well.

3. deecoleworld profile image75

I mostly agree Donald............the nudity usually sucks ...... and there is a lot of unnecessary blood/gore/violence

9. DealForALiving profile image77
    DealForALivingposted 9 years ago

First movie that came to mind from this past Oscar season was American Hustle. Sure, the cast is great but the movie just goes on and on.

1. deecoleworld profile image75

I totally agree that movie was soo long and boring....... totally overrated

10. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 9 years ago

Frozen.  It was okay. Just okay.  I don't get what the big deal is.

1. Amanda6868 profile image64
      Amanda6868posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This.

2. profile image36
      Sean Harrisonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't as overrated, until "Frozen Fever" took a hold.  Then, the movie just became annoying.

11. SteveSunpire profile image78
    SteveSunpireposted 8 years ago

I feel hollywood appeals to the Milenium generation of film goes, as nearly all films are now aimed at younger audiences, so everything has to be hyped up to the max, the amount of advertising that is available now compared to say 10 years ago is so much larger and covers all mediums, constant hype all the time.
    Films are distributed on there promise of rich content alone, Hollywood have to fool us in to believing that the content is worth the fee of admittance...
    so the hype has to be as full and rich as the film, carrying its own content as well... most kids film have an app game attached as part of the distribution package... we live in a time when a video game is used to sell a film to an audience.

for me all Hollywood films from the past five years have all been hype and overrated... a handful of special films that deserved notice... even the likes of Interstellar 2014 fell foul of the hype. But not Mad Max 2015 thankfully.

I believe the disapointment comes because of the content, then 85% of all hollywood films are aimed at 12 to 15 year olds, older generations feel disappointed because the content was not aimed fully towards our demographic, what we find trendy and cool is totally different to a 12 to 15 year old, hence why Adam Sandler still gets work.
    We yearn for a more nostalgic time when films were made for an adult audience, and focused on our trends.

12. Discordzrocks profile image81
    Discordzrocksposted 8 years ago

Pulp ffiction........nothing else to say.

13. profile image36
    Sean Harrisonposted 7 years ago

Mostly, I only feel critically acclaimed movies can be overrated.  Both the Matrix and Avatar definitely fit the bill.  This also applies to both Ex Machina and Star Wars Episode VII.  All four movies were highly acclaimed upon release, but they were all far from perfect.  The Force Awakens even has one of the most annoying types of twist ending (the part involving R2-D2, not Han Solo).

14. profile image36
    independentmindedposted 7 years ago

Overrated films:

Ben Affleck's "The Town"--Grossly so, imho.  It's so bad that it's good, if one gets the drift.

"1776"  Boring!  My friend and I walked out in the middle of it!

"Godspell"  (the film version)  The stage version of "Godspell" was far better.

"Slumdog Millionaire"

"Gosford Park"

"Best Marigold Hotel" --Kind of sad, and hard to take.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)