Problem with stumble...

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (21 posts)
  1. College politico profile image61
    College politicoposted 15 years ago

Im having trouble submitting things to stumbleupon and im wondering if anybody else is having similar problems?

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 15 years ago

All things, or hubs in particular?

3. College politico profile image61

not sure yet...

4. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I believe there's a limit to the number of pages from a single domain one user can submit.

5. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

You may have hit your limit to the number of pages to that particular domain. If it's freezing after you've summarized the article, that's probably what happened. Usually, it's a white page with 'done' on the bottom of the browser.

I've had that problem. At one point, I wasn't even allowed to log in at all. At SU support was never of any help. They only replied to one email, which asked for more information. When I gave them the info, they never replied back, so I tried again, giving them all the info from the start and nothing.

6. College politico profile image61

I c. That is a stupid rule...

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, you can sort of see where they're coming from.  In the same way that we at HubPages only allow 2 links to a single domain per hub, they're trying to prevent spammers from coming in and dropping a bunch of links without adding to the community.

7. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

It's to prevent spamming. It is also to make sure that you participate in the website versus use them solely for promotion of your site.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Well, nobody likes when their site is being spammed, and many just choose not to communicate to spammers(by their definition) at all. Learn your lesson, delete your cookies, change your IP, and create another account.

If you did not learn the lesson, new account will be banned shortly, too smile

I think I personally has been banned from at least half of WEB2 sites around big_smile That's all trial and error...

9. College politico profile image61

I can understand the whole not wanting spammers thing. But I do actively participate in Stumble (despite how annoying and difficult I find their interface to be) and it just bothers me is all...

10. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

CP, it's the old story of a few people spoiling it for everyone else.  These sites can't hope to monitor everyone's activity, so they have to make some rules to limit abuse.  Those rules inevitably catch people who are doing the right thing.

Having said that, Stumble and Digg are sites where you are meant to post interesting sites you've discovered on the net.  They expressly forbid you to promote your own stuff, no matter how much you participate otherwise.    Hiding your own sites amongst a lot of other stuff doesn't make it "legal", it just makes it less likely that you'll get caught.  So you are still doing the wrong thing and therefore you can't complain!

As for not understanding why these sites object to it - the whole concept of the site is to highlight quality sites.  Who are you to judge whether your own sites belong in that category?   Writers are notoriously bad judges of their own work. 

I can think of one or two ex-Hubbers who thought they were marvellous writers but who were barely intelligible at times.  Stumble has to protect itself from people like that.  And it also has to protect itself from people who have no pretensions to being a good writer, but just want links to promote their product or service.

11. College politico profile image61

Well... I can understand your/stumble's point. It just seems to me that perhaps they should let stumblers decide whats worth while or not... In other words, if the site is crap or the person posting is a spammer then the stumblers aren't going to write good reviews and no one will visit.

And it can be very hard for people like me to get anyone to notice my work especially since I really don't have a dime to invest in advertising and while I get traffic from search engines it certainly isn't enough to rely on. So I mean how are people even going to know my site exists in order to stumble it...

But my thoughts and complaints are really all mute, I suppose, since stumble surely isn't going to consider my objections.

Oh well.

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Did you by chance see this thread.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4462#post37164

To reiterate, your thumb on your own page means nothing, it is other thumbs that mean the most. Beleive it or not but a thumbs down is worth more than a thumbs up. Now thats strange is it not, but true.

To stumble you need a group, just like the diggers group or the techno group.

In closing build a group, or wink wink, join one.

So really I should write a hub, but how long do you think I would last. My solution is we all know each others avartars here, we can email each other, why not friend each other on SU. Send a quick email to each other confirming the friend user name. Then in your browser use the "send to" your friend. Easy piezzie, quick thumb and away you go.  It works, it's not against any TOS and it is social networking. Now tell me, should I write the hub giving away all of my secrets or write and sell the e-book?

http://www.freewebby.com/sign-smilies/locked_sign.gif

1. College politico profile image61
        College politicoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is a pretty good idea... I had thought of something similar but didn't have the time to try and organize it. But I'll post my name in the thread you linked too.

2. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't spend any money on advertising as well, and I don't use Stumble. I still get plenty of traffic. It's all in unique content.  I couldn't ever figure out how to search for topics in SU anyway. It was always a waste of time for me.

I do Digg some of my own hubs though. I just ONLY Digg the ones that are either 1) top of the line or 2) have a good chance at getting product buys. These hubs seem to get long run traffic versus short run, which means that they also have a better chance of getting clicks and purchases because people are actually searching the topic on Digg. I suppose you could use SU that way, at well, but I find their search tool very user un-friendly.

I wouldn't rely on a social bookmarking site alone. By writing good, unique content, the traffic shold come your way anway.

12. spuds profile image59
    spudsposted 15 years ago

It's not really recommended to Stumble your own stuff. It's better if you can get others to stumble your pages. If you do choose to stumble your own pages then do not over do it.

13. BassGuru profile image58
    BassGuruposted 15 years ago

Somebody else stumbled my hub, I guess that is pure luck that someone else liked it. My own stumblepower is low as I too stumbled myself at the beginning, the answer is don't do it and just let nature take its course.

The other thing worth noting is that Stumble traffic is considered 'low value' that is they pretty much never click on ads and are very quick to leave a page! If you don't have good magnetic content that hits a stumble user like a wet fish across the face there is no point going for stumble traffic.

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

True. But that is not the only thing you can use the vast amounts of SU traffic for.

14. bloggerdollar profile image74
    bloggerdollarposted 15 years ago

If you can manage to stumble 20/30 other pages then your page you won't get a penalty propably.

15. bloggerdollar profile image74
    bloggerdollarposted 15 years ago

Actually you don't do a search in stumbleupon you just stumble through pages (hit the stumble button and get a random page of your liked topics) so as you said people don't to searches on stumble upon and your page is displayed randomly.

However I managed to get 10.000 visitors from StumbleUpon for a Hub in one day. You can see some tips and graphs from my blog post about that traffic.

http://www.bloggerdollar.com/2008/03/27 … umbleupon/

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

That makes since I guess.. It is STUMBLE right. Ha.

You tend to  get a large number of hits from then the day you upload a page to their site. But after that the traffic numbers tend to trickle to nothing with the occassional hit now and then. Getting a thousands the first few days isn't really that uncommon, depending on the topic and (I guess) when you upload it as the number of users on the site can vary. By uploading at a prime time may get you more traffic as more people may be using the site at that time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)