What is your reason for believing in god?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. levicolemagic profile image60
    levicolemagicposted 9 years ago

What is your reason for believing in god?

If you believe in god, what do you base this belief on? Is it 100% faith? Or, do you have a logical thought process that leads you to this conclusion?

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image70
    wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years ago

Swimming In a Sea of Universe

It is absurd, and quite arrogant not to believe in God. But I am not speaking of the God that men have created in their own image. I am speaking of the incomprehensible architect of all that is. It is quite simple to prove that God exists. But arrogance is a characteristic of the simple minded, and so many cannot understand or see what is clearly all around them.

For instance, everything in the world that we can see,hear, taste, touch, or feel, (emotion)  was created by something, or by a process. A mountain, an ocean, and a river are created by forces within the Earth. These things did not magically appear. All plant and animal life are created by the life that precedes it. No one can argue this fact. Furthermore, in order for a man to have a wheel, he had to imagine it and then create it. In order for a man to have a computer, he also had to imagine and then create it, etc. etc.. Consequently, we can observe a universal law that extends outward toward both the micro and macro universe. Ultimately, if we could follow the trail of creation to it's source, we would arrive at the very beginning of life, and the material universe. At this beginning we would find "God" or the intelligent force, or forces that created this universe.

It is not logical to assume that the material universe could simply create itself . It must necessarily be subject to the same laws that govern all that is, otherwise we would not exist, as we are not apart from the material universe, but it is within, and all around us. But many will argue that God does not exist, because a  man is not far removed from a baboon. Men like to speak of their large brains and many accomplishments, but the whole of civilization that has ever existed since the beginning of the earth is less than a speck of dust on the edge of the eye of a needle. The best a  man can do is to crawl out of the womb, look up at the sun, and then fall down dead. Such is the way of men. Osiyo!

levicolemagicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the response and very well put. Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you believe in pantheism. I am not sure I agree with all of it. But, your answer was so well put I can't/won't argue with it.

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image70
      wrenchBiscuitposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes and no. Pantheism is a step in the right direction, but if the material universe is simply an aspect of God itself, then we become caught in an infinite regress. Who, or what  has created  the Creator of the Creator, of the Creator, ad infinitum.

3. lone77star profile image74
      lone77starposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Created the Creator? No one. Creator is perfect Source (not effect) and Infinite. We are each baby gods, created in His image. Pantheism? Only if you leave Ego out of the picture.

3. lone77star profile image74
    lone77starposted 9 years ago

My belief started as a feeling -- a perfect certainty. This was a connection to the spiritual which started as an infant. It started with ontological dreams of Faith, doubt and self-concern.

Logic? I've built my career on it -- mathematics, computer science, and nearly all the other sciences. The universe exists, therefore He IS.

Creation (universe) is perfect effect; God/Source/Force is perfect cause. God is above time, outside of space and consists of no matter or energy.

I have felt God the most when performing miracles. At those times, I had zero self-concern and unconditional love for others.

The fact that miracles are even possible hints strongly at a spiritual realm, superior to the physical. Physical cogs cannot bend or break the machine of physical reality. Spirit can. The collective spirit is God.

levicolemagicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer. I personally have never encountered nor seen evidence for a miracle. But if you believe you saw one I'm not doubting you.

4. Blessed Hill profile image61
    Blessed Hillposted 7 years ago

For me it started with a question that I shot out into eternity as a little boy when I looked at this big world I was living in. I have an inquisitive mind and realized at a very young age that everything I could experience with my 5 senses was not on a higher or lower plain of existence. A 75yr old professor didn't have anymore control over his life force than a mouse did. They are born, journey through life and then die. This process cannot be escaped.
    But in my small mind a question started to form, " Is there more to life than what we all experience?"
    As I grew God started to answer this question in small bite size pieces. But each of His answers always stirred up more questions. By the time I heard the Gospel for the first time at age 13 I had already decided that there was a God and that there was more after death. Life just seemed so pointless otherwise. Hearing the Gospel of Jesus Christ just confirmed everything I already believed. Jesus was the door to the other side.
    Now my faith is 100% in Him and all that He has done for me.

5. The0NatureBoy profile image56
    The0NatureBoyposted 6 years ago

The only god I believe in is the life-force of every physical manifestation since I became a "Atheist-Christian" in 1980. Before that I believed in god because I was raised to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)