I cannot understand how some of us do not believe in God?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (117 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

God is the Begining and the End, creator of all things, meaning everything! No disrespect meant here, how can some of us question this?

Why is it so difficult for some people to see this truth? If you are a non believer in God or Jesus, what are your thoughts on His teachings?

Surely the teachings of Jesus through God, would improve the World we are living in today dramatically?

The teachings of Jesus are not forced upon any of us, its up to each individual to choose. Jesus is simply saying my teachings from God are available to you if you want them, its up to you.

Can we really move on to the next life, in the condition the Human race is in today?

1. kess profile image59
      kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The concept of the world... what is it?

If one were to understand it, then one would wonder, what then will become of the world?

Even if this world is transformed, the concept of the worrld stil remains.

The reality is the world cannot change from being the world, it would always be.

Thus while there is an expectation of salvation coming to the world, the world will always remain the same.

So it is true to say The world will be saved
      But it also true to say the world cannot be saved.

So threfore ones understanding of the world defines the two statements and sees no division in them.

Those who do not see the two statements as one understanding are agitating themselves in order to save the world and themselves, each having their own way and resisting those who resist them...

This agitation is what make the world, The world and unsaveable.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because it isn't truth.  It's a pretty story you accept as truth because it makes you happy.

Be happy.  As long as you don't insist that your fantasy has to change my world, I'm happy for you.

1. Richard Craig profile image60
        Richard Craigposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  I thought I was alone on this.

2. autumn18 profile image56
        autumn18posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with this.

3. Pcunix profile image90

I've written a hub on the alleged teachings of the alleged preacher allegedly known as "Jesus".

If you strip out the supernatural stuff and the silly miracles, the philosophy is fine.  It has far older roots, of course, so it's a little bit unfair to usurp it all as "Christian", but if you actually behave in the manner suggested, I can only applaud you, however mistaken you might be as to the source of your inspiration.

4. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because it is found to be a myth when questioned, just like all the other mythical gods throughout history.

Jesus, if the man actually existed, may have had some interesting things to say, which is one story. Jesus as a god is the myth.

And yet, Christians have had thousands of years to improve the world and all they've every accomplished is conflict, genocides and wars.

The teachings of Jesus are not the only teachings in the world. Others have also offered much to the world.

That's fine, but the worship of Jesus as a god is another matter altogether.

Not if Christianity has its way.

5. Hui (蕙) profile image60
      Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because it is just an interesting story that humans lived so long ago made up, and some of people today find it satisfies their taste. That's all!

1. mischeviousme profile image60
        mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see it that way as well.

2. profile image0
        MP50posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just believe in Jesus. Have you been following this converstion?

1. Hui (蕙) profile image60
          Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, I pray on Buddha, but just a pure move for a peaceful mind and a moment. Hornestly, I never believe in any gods and any supernatural power, which are imagined stories by people thousands years ago. The current humans were so weak facing up to the wild nature that they turned to supernatural power behind and beyond to explain those mysterious and horrible phenomena, based on which the theory of destiny was born. Their imaginations and tales were handed down from generations to generations, were contantly complemented and perfected, and finally became fixed and clear doctrines to be followed by people who had already developed to some extent but still in a weak state, such as people in middle age. This is "religion". Because different people live in different parts of the Earth, they have developed their respect religions, and have their own origins and ancestors and the biggest heros. Are all kinds of religions compatible?

With time, humans become stronger and stronger. They overcome and rebuild the nature by their wisdom and strength, and of course they get punished by the nature due to excess exploitation and use. With the growth of selves, humans become fearless to the nature, and many phenomena that used to be mysterious and horrible become clear without any surprise. Many religious doctrines are insightful and enlightful, but it is because they are from the intelligence of our ancestors. Why do we have to deny the wisdom of our human ancestors themselves but turn to those so-called gods that don't actually exist for protection? If people today still stick to those supernatural power, they would be so so stupid because they are living in a condition that is a million times better than that in which their ancestors lived, but they have not got any progress than their ancestors. Sorry about this!

Indeed, there still exist many unexplainable phenomena on Earth, but I prefer to believe in highly developed pre-historic civilizations (the Earth is already 5 billion years old, but only has 5 thousand years human history, and only about 2 thousand years with written words. Can we rule out that possiblity that one or more civilizations used to showed up and then disappeared due to some reasons or just moved to another plannet?). I also believe in allien intelligence. Why not? After all, the universe is considered limitless?

To be clear and fair, I don't refute that other people believe in gods. I just spoke out my own real ideas, but I want remind people that it is ourselves, humans, who create and decide our lives, and pinning our hope on gods that only reside in minds of humans is just wasting time. big_smile

6. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hate to break it to you, but some people are different from you.

That diversity is probably the main reason our species evolved in the first place and continues to exist today.

7. Philanthropy2012 profile image84
      Philanthropy2012posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Believing in a God wholeheartedly is stupid and is exactly the sort of irrational thinking that leads to mass murders and suicides.

"Who cares about logic when I feel this is right"

The joke is getting old.

When you don't know what's on either side of the fence, sit on it.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, what's getting OLD is seeing people post such accusatory language about Christianity as your first sentence.

1. profile image0

Is believing in the American Goverment based on the same stupidity?

This belief also leads to mass murder's and suicides, well if you can call it suicide when someone elso does it for you.

Old joke?

To many people are already sitting on the fence, time to choose a side, talk is cheap.

1. Philanthropy2012 profile image84

"Is believing in the American Goverment based on the same stupidity?"
            A different one entirely.

"This belief also leads to mass murder's and suicides, well if you can call it suicide when someone elso does it for you"

And you think this justifies religion doing it? Pahaha, what an argument. Tu QuoQue.

"to many people are already sitting on the fence, time to choose a side, talk is cheap"
            Cheap? Getting down on your knees and praying to the clouds is cheap.

Fence sitters do the most in this world because they're the rational ones that need proof to make decisions.

Do you think that anything gets invented by blind faith? Other than new levels of sadness?

1. profile image0

Are you totally stupid? Before you answer a question, try and understand what the question is about and the person asking it!

2. profile image0

Shut up Idiot, you have no idea what I am talking about.

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image84

I wouldn't say so, it's only been recently that people were able to freely express just how ridiculous it is to be certain of a deity. Note I don't limit this to just christianity.

You don't know. If you did, you would prove it, so it's incredibly stupid to say "he's real, why can't everyone else see that?"

Thanks for praying though, it's really helping the starving.

2. Dawit T profile image60
        Dawit Tposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you can prove that God exist. It isn't Faith but pure fact as was it written in a science book. Phil: You have your opinion, and that's fine, but try thinking about what you wrote. "Believing in a God wholeheartedly is stupid and is exactly the sort of irrational thinking that leads to mass murders and suicides". So suddenly in any kind of way following your feelings will lead to destructive action? I don't think that's what you meant right?

8. pedrog profile image59
      pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello dear sir.

I'll try to answer to your question the best i can.

Indeed there are many of us that do not believe in any gods at all, and that is for a very simple reason, we live in reality and we deal with facts, and there is 0 proof for any god, and as you should know the burden of proof is upon the one who makes the claim, as there is 0 proof about the existence of gods i have no reason to believe in any of them.

And you and i are not so different, because you believe in the God of Abraham and i don't believe in any god, i suppose you don't believe in Zeus, Poseidon, Mithra, Vishnu, Shiva, Thor, Odin, Horus, Osiris, and i could name countless others, among the thousands of gods available, you choose one, and you are ATHEIST at all the others! I am more atheist then you only one more god, that is the difference between you and me, one more god among thousands...

1. profile image0

Doubtful.

9. samsons1 profile image61
      samsons1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wholeheartedly agree.  To those that can see Him as He is, He is their source of life.  To those who don't choose to acknowledge Him, He is a stumbling block of offense.  In answer to the original question as to why people don't see or place their faith and trust in Him is because their eyes are blinded as mentioned in the Bible.  Romans 1 gives a good description for this.  His promise is to those that accept Him and this is what gives us hope in this troubled world.  Blessings to you my friend as we await Christ's soon appearing...

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

You can say the same thing about Santa Claus, too.

Usually, if someone can't see something, it isn't there to see. How can one choose to acknowledge something that isn't there?

1. profile image0

It Is there I can see it you cannot.

lol Well, at least we know where you stand in the honesty department.

1. Pcunix profile image90

Well,he is being honest.  He's feeling something and he doesn't believe that it comes from within his own mind.

We can shake our heads in dismay, we can say that's silly (or worse), we can be astounded, critical, amazed.. but the fact is that theists are convinced (or they convince themselves, more accurately).

We KNOW it's not real, but so what?  They think it is.  It's not any different than anything else: if you don't like asparagus, you don't like asparagus and I can tell you all day long that you should and I'm not likely to change your mind.

MP50 likes "asparagus".  So be it.  I think he's being foolish, but so what?  In the grand scheme of things, so what?  He's not drowning kittens (somebody fact check that, please), he doesn't seem to be plotting revolution, mass suicide pacts and so on and I don't believe I've heard any hate emanating from him (and there sure are others who I can't say that about).

I don't have a problem with people that "believe".  That's their business.   It's my job to point out when they are being extra silly about it, but even then I know they are not lying.

He's saying he can see God and we can't. That's being honest?

I prefer delusional.

OK, fine.  I'm not going to disagree, but it's not "mental illness" delusional. We all delude ourselves with harmless little pretension.

I'm not saying religious belief is ALWAYS benign.  It is more often than not, however.  And if that isn't actually true, then put it down as a little delusion that *I* have.  I do not want to lose my delusion - if I were convinced that it is not true, I'd be very unhappy and bitter, so I will hang on t that stubbornly.

If you think asparagus tastes awful and I do not, are you being "honest"?

That's apples and oranges to someone claiming they see God and we don't.

2. profile image0

Thank You.

10. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What you appear to be asking is why don't some believe in your perception of God. Plenty would ask the same question, but completely disagree with your subsequent statements.

I've always wondered why some insist on going on about their beliefs as if they were facts.

That's an insanity created by ego. "It's my way or the highway", type attitude. I've seen it a thousand times, especially in martial arts circles.

1. profile image0

You have seen nothing a 1000 time's and you are no martial artist.

Churches, temples, religious circles, sales and media. This is "the way" garbage is everywhere.

I could also name all of my teachers if you'd like, you can even look em up if you'd like. I've been studying martial arts since I was 9 years old, I've made it a life stile for almost 30 years. You don't even know who I am. So what does it matter what I do?

1. profile image0

You don't know what I do either and you mentioned the MA.

What do you study? I'm curious, I like meating other martial artists. It's big here now, I wish more people would practice or study martial arts. One can live a long and ageless life.

2. profile image0

Take a look in the mirror.

I've had a long time to look in at my self. I'm just struggling to see why so many people can't just lead their own lives. I won't find God in this life and I'm comfortable in knowing nothing. I have a basic understanding of how things work and that' nowhere near knowing. You seem so sure of yourself, tell us how you know God is real, without the use of a bible. I'm not the only person with an ego in this forum either.

2. profile image0

You would no nothing about facts.

3. profile image0

What would you know about facts?

11. Moezart de Foen profile image60
      Moezart de Foenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well i guess not every1 has the same notion of wat is going to happen to us after were dead. So maybe we should cut eaach other some slack, i mean wern't all of us like that at some point. BUT THAT DOSNT NOT MEAN TO QUIT TRYING TO REACH OUT TO OTHER PPL.

1. profile image0

Good answer.

2. profile image0

Good point.

1. Moezart de Foen profile image60
          Moezart de Foenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thx

12. amymarie_5 profile image67
      amymarie_5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a bit arrogant to imply that your religion is the true and only way to salvation. There are Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, and more. Not everyone shares your beliefs.

13. profile image0
      Mtbailzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MP50,
      As an atheist (a silly term in the sense that you have to define yourself for not believing in something) I am not required to answer this question. I am not the one trying to prove the existence of something. For instance, if you believed in Big Foot then it would be your obligation to convince those that don't believe in Big Foot. Thus, it is your responsibility to give rational and logic evidence to prove the assertion that God truly exists. I have yet to meet any God believing individual who has given me any such evidence. If you'd like you could try to be the first.

14. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stop preaching on Hubpages.

1. profile image0

Not preaching thanks for your comment Shinkicker.

2. Richard Craig profile image60
    Richard Craigposted 12 years ago

Before I respond I want to say I mean no offence to believers.  It's your choice and I accept it.

Now then, God created the universe and everything in it right?  Ok then, where was he sitting when he done this?  I presume he was sitting down because if we are created in his image and we sit down a lot then why wouldn't he.  But then again, he must have been running around all over the place to make multiple species, land, water etc.  Did he do it on a Mac?  How do you explain the dinosaurs?

Why are there so many religions with different god's when surely if 'he' was so great (and real) there would only be one interpretation of him?

My theory of religion is that it started off as a story.  And like Chinese Whispers it evolved as this great tale spread around the world.  Isn't Star Trek a legitimate religion now?  Imagine the year 4087 and they are worshiping the god's that came on the Starship Enterprise or what ever it's called.  (I never watched it)

I could go on and on because I just find it so hard to believe in something that has no evidence.  I would love to be proven wrong, but you can't prove it.  I think everyone needs to believe in something that can inspire them to make your life positive whether it's love, luck charm etc.  Maybe that's what religion really is.  If you believe it enough, it's real.

I had a friend I used to work with who was a biker.  A proper hardcore Hell's Angels type who has done some regrettable stuff during his life.  Then one day he found himself and now he is a Jehovah's Whitness.  I asked him how and all he told me was, (holdings up his bible) "All the answers I ever needed were in here".  Although I don't believe in religion, I felt happy for him because he gained belief in something and used it positively.

As for me, I believe in myself and that's all I need.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My studies of atheist would have me conclude a lack of imagination'

They work more from the 5 senses, asking is it logical, by objective analysis and more so the perceiving,  of lets wait and see

Lack of imagination?  That's like me saying your crazy for imagining the impossible.  I'm sure you've questioned what's logical yourself.  Everyone does, it's how humanity progresses.  I noticed you didn't actually answer my questions.  How's your imagination?  You must be an atheist then... or a tree.

An atheists or a tree, mmmm........................................................................................................................ How much imagination did it take for you to come up with that one?

Read my hub on :Fresh Imagination: OR the hub on The Creation Museum Or the second post below

You tell me, your the pro.  Maybe your superior imagination could earn you a sense of humor.

You have not seen me on stage, still, different jokes for different folks.

Must say, you have been funny so far.

I have been funny.  And that takes imagination doesn't it?  I couldn't have done it without you though, so thanks.

I did not say no or absence of Imagination , only lack of or other words  limited thinking.

Ok, lets just agree to disagree on our beliefs.  We're entitled to that aren't we?
                    I have nothing against believers.  It's a choice.

3. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

Why not question everything? We get sucked into so many things by not questioning. For example; Look Jim Jones or Rev. On Myung Moon. They knew that people were searching and that theyed buy into it and when their pedestal was in jeopardy, they became an instrument of death.

God didn't do any of those things, people did. Are they in a better place? Maybe, but how can anyone know for sure? Who ever dies in this universe is given back to it, where the consciousness goes, is a matter only the dead know of.

I'm not putting down atheists or any person or group, we all have up sides and down sides

Only pointing out one major downside from the over thinking side of things in which most atheist also lack an interest in the spiritual side of things

Yes, Religion over imagine things from ancient spiritual or just make things up without shortly following or grounding themselves with facts.

These Both extreme ways of thinking help me find my middle grounds or balance also.

4. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Why do religious  believers insist everyone else follow their beliefs?
    Try to be more open minded and loving as your leaders teachings preach and stop insisting everyone else is wrong and you are right.Have a lovely day! big_smile

I suspect that  part of it is because they don't believe that people can be "good" without religion and the rest is that they honestly think we will miss out on the "eternal life" nonsense.

Quite naturally, they also don't like being ridiculed - even though their beliefs sometimes almost seem to beg for it.   I also suspect that part of that reaction is simple embarrassment at times - some at least subconsciously  realize how silly they sound to more secular folks.

Finally, only truly confident people are happy to hold their opinions in isolation.  Everyone else likes affirmation and agreement from others and the more affirmation, the more secure they feel.   When pesky atheists disagree, that's an attack on the belief and all attacks must be refuted.

There are plenty of people who don't give a damn about "attacks".  They believe what they believe and wouldn't care if they were the last person on earth who thought anything even vaguely like that.   Obviously those folks don't stop in here often smile

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here I am. wink

5. helpformarriage profile image55
    helpformarriageposted 12 years ago

You are right, Stacie. But I am curious about the stars up in the sky... Who hanged them there? Someone hanged them there! Isn't it great that SOMEONE with this great power hanged them there? Probably it's God.

Just like when you got home, and some of your dress were hanged and some were piled. Ask who... Someone did it. Just like our lives. Someone breath on us....

Thanks

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hung my dresses and clothing in the closet and piled them onto the bed,if its any of your business.

6. profile image56
    PenMePrettyposted 12 years ago

The way I understand the scriptures, God saves our soul through His Son Jesus.
    Jesus died for our sacrifice. We are spiritual beings in a human body.He tells us there will be a new heaven and a new earth and we will have a new body. Nothing can hurt us then. No more tears. We will know as we are known. When Jesus rose from the grave--He had a new body--immortal (He could walk through a wall). Very interesting to say the least. I always tell people if they do not believe there's a God,look at the inside of a rose--you will see your own self there.  He holds the stars and moon in the sky...always in order. Thanks for sharing.

7. profile image0
    richardkruseposted 12 years ago

I don't really know what to believe. But one thing is for sure - we didn't just appear on Earth out of thin air. Also, everything you can hold, see, feel...it was made somehow! When I think of that then it almost seems obvious that there is a God. However, who created God...because surely God didn't just appear out of thin air...

If one truly wants to live in the now, then it should not be imortant. The universe is a happening, just as each moment is now. We are adapting and learning constantly, our species changed on it's own. I believe change comes from the enlightenments we all have. If one does not want to change on his own, it is because the one has forgotten what he is; A heppening of the natural universe.

8. jdflom profile image67
    jdflomposted 12 years ago

"God is the Begining and the End, creator of all things, meaning everything! No disrespect meant here, how can some of us question this?" -- How can we not question this? I think its arrogant or ignorant or both to accept something so grandiose as fact without any sort of proof -- and the definition of proof isn't universal, so that only creates more divides. I also think that simply believing what you're told is easy and lazy. One should find out individual answers for themselves whether it be a belief in God or not.

"Why is it so difficult for some people to see this truth? If you are a non believer in God or Jesus, what are your thoughts on His teachings?" -- As a non-believer in God, I believe that most of the basic principles taught by "Jesus," are just ideas of good morals wrapped into myth. There is a positive message to be had, but so many people take things out of context or change it to fit their own selfish needs.

"Surely the teachings of Jesus through God, would improve the World we are living in today dramatically?" -- I would agree that the idea of his teachings might help. But you could have those teachings without God or Jesus.

Just wanted to put my two cents in.

9. ananceleste profile image60
    anancelesteposted 12 years ago

Wow, MP50 you know how to stir a good discussion!
    The only thing that I know for sure is that I never had a reason to believe anything other that life is painful. I have gone through hell itself, that goes beyond emotional and physical pain. I never had what many would call love or family. The things I have seen and gone through would make me a good candidate for euthanasia. As a matter of fact, things are getting worst.

I was raised atheist ( if you can call it like that), and many times God was at the bottom of jokes and comments. I NEVER HAD A REASON TO BELIEVE. But to be truthful, when I wanted to give up, when I knew that tomorrow was going to be more of the same and hope became a myth in itself, being down and desperate, something bigger and stronger than myself would pushed me up and would hold me. Not in the literal sense. I don't have an explanation to be alive.

And yet I am writing this to you. I don't know if there is a God or if the world would ever be something else than a purgatory. Even if the human race keeps destroying each other or keeps dividing itself because of stupid philosophical conflicts,  I know for a fact ,that even if it’s a myth, It saved my life believing that He is there.

1. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes the "hell" we go through in this world is just such an opportunity to look toward the light of God--to ask, "Why is this happening to me?"

It's His universe. We used to be with Him, but then we fell into the dark and cold well of physical reality, as if it were a deep and fitful sleep. Only with these Homo sapiens bodies do we have a chance to have sufficient continuity of consciousness to think clearly about such things--to invent the internet, to learn to type on a keyboard and to discuss such things with others.

Faith to do miracles as did Moses, Elijah, Yehoshua of Nazareth and others--this comes from letting go of the things of this world.

The ones who mock and ridicule have zero chance to see such things. I have seen such faith, and still struggle to let go of ego (the master of this world). It's tough and frequently painful.

Sometimes, I wonder if those who ridicule and mock faith and spirituality do not have sufficient suffering to turn toward the light. But then I realize that they have become bitter against life and existence. It's their choice. Others look for self edification. And still others look to dominate others through theft, corruption, wickedness or simple egotistical put-downs. They have chosen the path of darkness. But even their choice can change. When a selfish tax-collector can become a saint, then there must be hope for us all.

Some are driven away from the light because they attach memories of the ridicule of others. Belief in God = ridicule. Loving ego, they thus shun anything which receives such ridicule. Some have never seen miracles and won't believe even if they did. They would remain suspicious that there must be some fakery behind it all--some trick.

The only trick to believing is simply one of decision. We are ultimately responsible for the lives we create. Everything that comes our way is ours. Once we take responsibility for it, things can change. But such responsibility takes fearlessness (faith), love and humility. Let go completely of the need to "protect" ego. This is the self which needs to die in order to gain everlasting life.

lol Hilarious and in complete contradiction to your post above. Amazing.

Oh no, the deception is pretty obvious, especially when we hear miracles of snarled traffic on boulevards opening up with the hand of Jesus.

2. profile image0

Happy you came through, keep going and do not give up.

Welcome to Hubpages ananceleste, happy hubbing to you and a prosperus 2012

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think seeing this approach from *either* side is getting very old.

1. profile image0

Time to choose then.

lol Touche'!

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is a bit like saying that the solution to living between two diseased dogs is to decide which which you want to bite you, the one with rabies or the one with the plague.

Methinks there is another option.

But, I love the way you were told to make a choice between the two, despite other options. Classic.

1. profile image0

What other options?

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

psycheskinner

I love option, no. three

2. profile image0

How are you today psycheskinner? Long time no speak, I thought a troubled man had all the jokes?

Good answer, will you share your other option with us?

11. lone77star profile image73
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

@MP50, me too! It's His universe. He can do anything with it He wants.

Right now, what is most important on His agenda are the few lost children collected on this tiny planet in a medium-sized galaxy, amongst a small cluster of galaxies called the "Local Group," amidst the larger Super Cluster -- one of millions in the universe.

It was never about these puny, frail, Homo sapiens bodies. It was only and always about the "flesh of His flesh, and bone of His bone"--made in the image and likeness of God--the immortal spirit, the true self within. This spirit can be made Holy again, once stirred to awakening.

These puny, frail, Homo sapiens bodies have been noted, acknowledged and charged with doing great things that benefit us all in as much capacity and will as they have committed tragic and horrific atrocities.

What one decides to do with their particular body makes all the difference because without it, nothing would ever happen, good or bad.

Seems that it shouldn't be something so easily dismissed in light of what one does with their body, despite the results. At this point in life, we all really need one as it tends to allow us to do great things, if we choose.

But, in order to do great things, shouldn't we at the very least look upon ourselves as a whole lot more than just puny and frail? If we all had that attitude, nothing would ever get accomplished.

Perhaps, that helps explain why the world is in the state it is in when we have billions of believers who believe we are just puny, frail and rather insignificant.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wise words ATM.

1. profile image0

I would have to agree with ATM on this comment.

12. profile image56
    PenMePrettyposted 12 years ago

John 3:16

King James Version (KJV)

16)For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Salvation is a Gift, not any good works that we can do to receive it.

I believe in GOOD and EVIL. It is all around us--all over the world. It gets
    my attention when I think like this: I believe hell is a place with NO LOVE.
    Can you imagine a world without any love--then, think of an eternal hell. OMG!
    I love everyone of you on here!!!  I don't always enjoy the spiritual principles, but I have tried everything else--and they are the only thing that works right...like Karma--a man reaps what he sows. To me the Bible is a book of love to read and share.

13. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I think the biggest cause of conflict in the world is as a result of people not understanding that others could have different views or beliefs to their own.  It is good for people to be certain in their own beliefs, but this should not prevent anyone recognising that others will have completely different ones.  I have argued with people who have views which are totally alien to my own in the past.  But now, I realise that whilst I do not share their beliefs, I do not have the right to question their right to hold them.  Just because a belief in a god seems self-evident to the religious, the lack of such a god is self-evident to atheists.  We all perceive the world from inside our own minds, and subjective influences are projected on what we perceive to be reality.  We therefore see what we expect to see.  There is nothing wrong with seeing the world as we want or need to, but we shouldn't be at all surprised to discover other people perceive reality very differently.

1. profile image0

Good answer Muldania Thanks.

14. dipless profile image68
    diplessposted 12 years ago

You pretty much answered your own question with

"The teachings of Jesus are not forced upon any of us, its up to each individual to choose"

The bottom line is people choose to believe and people choose not to believe. It is my personal belief that the bible reads like a story and so I chose to believe it is a work of fiction. I have yet to see or read anything to sway my opinion and until I see proof of existence I shall not believe.

I know that some believers will come back with the but he demands faith and that's why he chooses not to reveal himself. But my faith is in my own logic and deductive reasoning.

That's how some of us don't believe in god

1. profile image0

Constructive Comment By dipless, thank you.

1. dipless profile image68
        diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No worries smile it can be a heated debate but people have differing opinions and they should be respected.

1. profile image0

Respect.

15. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Goodness me, did anyone bring beer to this debate? I always see these religious/non-religious/he said/she said debates and no one brings any beer.

Shame, debating is so much more fun with it

16. Smallrevolution profile image60
    Smallrevolutionposted 12 years ago

Hi Sir! I'm a campus missionary based in Tokyo for the past three months and it made me understand why 'most' (in the case of Japan) people don't believe in God... Because they don't know GOD. And for the past months, I've made it a point that I would share JESUS to those I have met here.

As my 3-month mission closes to an end this week, I trust God for them. We plant the seed. God grows them. Will definitely miss all of them. Going back to the Philippines to be back reaching out to the students in the campuses there. But also believing for more ministry partners to keep sustaining us abundantly as we do the work.

Glad to know you're a believer!

17. marriedwithdebt profile image76
    marriedwithdebtposted 12 years ago

I have a question. If you believe God's existence is the "truth" and a "fact" does that mean you have no faith?

After all, faith is belief in the absence of proof. To my knowledge there has never been any real proof of "God's" existence.

Those who claim the "know" there is a God should not say they are a person of faith.

18. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

I have faith that my knowledge is true and correct. Just because someone doesn't believe in God, does that mean they believe in nothing? If an atheist doesn't have the capacity to prove or disprove their own beliefs without resorting to a "higher authority" (Einstein, Darwin or Newton) isn't that the same thing as having blind faith in the religion of science?

1. marriedwithdebt profile image76
      marriedwithdebtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you have faith that it is correct, you are admitting you don't know or can't prove it's correct.

Also, those who cite Einstein or Newton aren't citing the person, they are citing the millions of experiments that seem to have confirmed their original theories. This is different than blind faith.

19. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 12 years ago

This would require a hub.  I don't know if I really want to try and answer this though, for the backlash that would occur would most assuredly be immense, assuming I got readers anyway tongue.   But I'll think about doing that, and hopefully it will help you understand.  But I'm not one of those people who says God definitely does not exist.  I just lean that way more so than believing it (God needs to be genderless to have a reasonable discussion) does.

But as to your question about Jesus, I think if his moral teachings were followed, the world would be a much better place.  Only problem is, there are very few true Christians in the world, and  they are not the go to church on Sunday and try to dress nicer than everyone else, I hate gays, you are going to hell types either.  They are people like my late Grandma, who let strangers come into her house and eat her food, and even live there.  She is the closest thing in my life to a Christian that I have ever personally known.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some people don't believe in God because they can't believe in something that they can't physically see. Good thing Columbus could, or we would have one less holiday.

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And in a filthy, overpopulated Europe at that

Hardly.

Most atheists arrive at their decision through logic.  Certainly the typical depictions and claims are easy enough to toss out as ludicrous - we know that prayer doesn't  have any more power than a placebo, won't bring rain (thank you for that demonstration, Gov. Perry), can't move mountains or regrow limbs, bring back even a dead kitten.. we see the immediate logical contradictions of the Omni-traits, we see the Biblical silliness and finally we realize that "No gods did it" is a far more sensible answer to any question that starts with "Who did..".

3. A Troubled Man profile image59

Just like unicorns and dragons, right? You MUST believe in those if you embrace your own logic.

4. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might consider that Columbus never found what he was looking for, and believed in, either...

20. cavallo profile image61
    cavalloposted 12 years ago

On rare occasions I pray to myself. Most often when gathering my wits. It helps me believe in me in times of loss,stress,illness .

21. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

There will be various factors that affect people.

It could be the way they were brought up, maybe their outlook on life, but I do know that at a particular time in life, people do turn to God on their own...willingly.

Some when they are young, some when the are middle aged, some when they are in Crisis and some when it's time to go.

22. omarngadi profile image54
    omarngadiposted 12 years ago

Get over it, for real. Some people don't believe in God and you can't change that. The end (period)

1. profile image0

Welcome to HP happy hubbing:-D

23. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

Hello hello to everyone, i'm back. did you miss me? LOL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)