What are your opinions on abortion?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Amber Verville profile image61
    Amber Vervilleposted 9 years ago

What are your opinions on abortion?

2. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 9 years ago

Abortion is the right every woman should have. To make the decision of having an abortion is not taken lightly by the woman in question.
    If you're pregnant you do it consciously and take the  responsibility of your child your whole life long. Or you take the decision not to have a child.

There are many woman who become pregnant by accident or rape.
    To be raped and not having the opportunity for an abortion is a double punishment. You will live your whole life with a child, knowing and remembering the day you where raped.

Not using anti conception is another reason for being pregnant by accident. The church who has a policy of being anti condom and pill is part of the problem.
    A 15 year old being pregnant is in most cases not a good idea. She is still a child, can she provide an income and care for her self and her  child ? She has no time to study any more and as such get better jobs. Her child will grow up in poverty and probably goes along the same way

Abortion is a right woman should have. But the best way to avoid abortion is good sexual education. Learn children at an early age what the consequences are when you are pregnant and having a baby - a child.
    Giving life to a child is a responsibility you are able to carry out. If you are not in a situation to take care for a child in a responsible way you will ruin the life of a child and that of yourself. Therefore you should have the opportunity to take abortion. Again a woman will not go this way easily.

1. Amber Verville profile image61
      Amber Vervilleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for your long and helpful answer. I was looking for some quotes for a hub, and you are by far the best respondent. (isn't it funny how the others have no proof?)

2. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, the topic is often a religious thing. Strange thing is the church is against contraception and against abortion too. This means you've got to be a virgin till you marry! This does not add up in 2014. Good sexual education is the key I think.

3. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this Peter. Unfortunately, those most against it (Churches etc..not people) are usually against sex education, unless its abstinence, as well. Which just increases the problem as kids will try what they are told not to!.

3. thomasczech profile image44
    thomasczechposted 9 years ago

Very easy to answer. Abortion is murder. I wrote a hub on this, if you want, please read it.
    If you comment, please be respectful.

http://thomasczech.hubpages.com/hub/Abo … h-revealed

1. profile image0

So if a 15 year old girl is gang banged and raped and because of that she got pregnant, that's ok with you ? She should not have the right to say;  no, I do not want the child ?

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

I must agree with Thomas; abortion is murder plain and simple. An infant is a living human being at the time of conception. How can ripping a precious child out of its mother's womb even be considered this day and time.

1. profile image0

I guess you're against anti conception as well? No condom, no pill?

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not! I am all for birth control if the person can be "responsible" enough to use it. Why kill a child for an "oops" mistake?

3. profile image0

As I Said JThomp , there are many reasons woman become pregnant , not all are oops mistake. Aime  gave a very sensible answer. I think women should have a choice. They are the ones who often have to change there life radically.

4. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point, too - life is nothing like it was before. I struggle with it immensely sometimes. For someone who never "came around" I could see the change being downright depressing for all involved.

5. profile image0

Then they should keep their legs shut if they are not ready to raise a child!!

6. Aime F profile image70

Not terribly realistic. What about people who never want a child? They should just never have sex?

7. profile image0

Murder for pleasure. Sounds like a great idea to me. There are several methods to keep from getting pregnant. Oh but excuse me. We are in the times now when marriage is not thought of in the same category. Marry, have baby. The right way!

8. profile image0

Are you a vegetarian  JThomp ? You should be. A cow has more brain cells then an  embryo. That's what I call murder.

9. Aime F profile image70

There are. But many women get pregnant while using BC.

10. Amber Verville profile image61
      Amber Vervilleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

And if a girl is raped, since she couldn't fight off the attacker, she should keep the embryo, even if it threatens her life (health issues, ovarian cancer, maybe she was stabbed by the rapist)?
      That is what it sounds like you are saying.

11. thomasczech profile image44
      thomasczechposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I find it disturbing that this day and age that people scream and yell about the terrible actions by people like isis, alqaeda  and drone bombing of civilians by the US gov; yet they have no problem murdering babies. This is downright despicable.

12. profile image0

Agreed Thomas!

13. Aime F profile image70

And I find it disturbing that people still want to dictate a woman's right to make decisions about her own body.

14. profile image0

It is not your baby unless you want to be its mother!

15. profile image0

Excuse me, but who is talking about murdering babies?!! A baby is a human being born. Abortus is not killing a baby when it  is born and takes its first breath of air....

16. profile image0

I must disagree.

17. profile image0

I think you should look up the definition of the word "baby" in the dictionary.

18. profile image0

I think you need to look up murder in the dictionary.

19. profile image0

the killing of human being. And an embryo is not a full grown human being.

20. profile image0

So, you are saying it is okay to murder a child at 20-26 weeks?

21. profile image0

You are using deliberately the wrong vocabulary. A child of 20-26 weeks doesn't exist.

22. profile image0

Apparently you are ignorant to the facts if you believe what I said is false. A newborn baby is between 37 to 41 weeks. A child can be murdered at 24 weeks.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/pregnan … united-sta

23. profile image0

To me a baby is a human being born, a baby is not called a baby when it's still in the womb. Then you're a toddler and then a child. But maybe my English is not that top notch..

24. profile image0

An embryo is a child at conception.

25. profile image0

Jthomp I stop arguing with you, you just keep hold on your blind faith and be happy.

26. profile image0

Agreed Peter.

5. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

It's not something I would be comfortable doing, but I 100% support women having the choice. I got pregnant accidentally at 22 (I never wanted kids) and when I went to the doctor to have it confirmed, he referred me to a maternity clinic. I said something like "and what about my other options?" He gave me this disgusted look and said "Google it. I won't help you with that," and walked out. I was stunned and felt awful when I was already trying to wrap my mind around being unexpectedly pregnant. My point being: having the option and feeling like you have support either way makes coping easier. And as I said in my first sentence, it's something that I did realize I wouldn't be comfortable with anyway... and I do seriously wonder if I would have coped with the remainder of my pregnancy as well if didn't have the chance to come to that realization on my own.

There will ALWAYS be people who abuse the system and use abortion as a method of birth control, which is awful, but I don't think the behaviour of a few should take the right away from everyone else.

6. jlpark profile image79
    jlparkposted 9 years ago

I'm pro choice. This does NOT mean I am pro-abortion - it means I am pro women having the choice of what they can do, should they find themselves in such a position.

I personally wouldn't have an abortion, as being gay - just getting pregnant takes a LOT of planning, tests, time and money. Were I raped  and became pregnant - I may need to take a LONG think about things, and consider my options - but I hope never to be in such a place (doesn't any woman?!)

But it is not for me to judge another on the decisions they may need to make for themselves or their family. I do not live in their shoes, I do not know what it is they experience daily, I do not know how they came to be pregnant (rape, one-night stand, missed pill, etc).

Therefore, I do not judge. I am there for support - to talk, to go through the options - including abortion. It is not MY decision to make, but it is my decision to be supportive of a friend or patient. I feel that judging a person in a position I would hate to be in myself is a terribly low thing to do. They struggle enough with their decisions without adding more judgement upon them.

Because it could be any one of us in their position at any time.

7. profile image0
    SirDentposted 9 years ago

I am late to answer this question so I will make a different type of statement. 

If the Mars rover was to find a single cell lifeform on Mars, NASA and scientists would shout to the high heavens.  It would be all over the news networks around the world.  Planning would start on manned missions to Mars, etc. . .   

When a woman becomes pregnant, a life is formed, separate from her own.  I think that's all I have to say right now.  Make what you will of it.  Have a good day.

8. cebutouristspot profile image78
    cebutouristspotposted 9 years ago

Depends on how the girl get pregnant.

If she was rape then it should be here right to abort it.  She should be allowed to take a Plan B or Morning after Pill.

If she got pregnant because of love then abortion should not be taken lightly.  This is a product of love and desire and not a crime against her being.

Just my opinion

9. emilyzeinert profile image60
    emilyzeinertposted 9 years ago

I wrote about this recently in one of my hubs. http://emilyzeinert.hubpages.com/hub/abortion-issues

Personally, I am pro-choice for a few reasons I outlined in the article, but mainly due to the fact that it is unethical to expect women to through potentially damaging (mentally or physically) pregnancies or births. Also, it simply wouldn't be sustainable (in Australia, anyway)
    The children who get placed in the Australian foster system are often mistreated, have no sense of stability and local adoption rates are dismal. The children who would have otherwise never known pain are left with all the serious side effects of being a foster child - I say this as a foster child myself and as the friend of many other foster children from various backgrounds.

10. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11948893_f260.jpg

A woman has a right to an abortion.  No woman should ever be compelled to endure an unwanted/unplanned pregnancy.  To force a woman to undergo such is the apex of inhumanity.  To be undergo a mandatory pregnancy is physically, emotionally, & psychologically damaging to women.  Such women will never form a loving, cohesive bond w/their children.  Studies have substantiated that unplanned & unwanted children are more likely to be abused & neglected than children who are wanted.   To outlaw legal abortion will only force woman to go undercover as in the past to obtain illegal, often dangerous abortions.

The contention surrounding women's right to abortion is about women not having control over their reproductive destiny.  It is argued among many traditionalists & conservatives that once women become pregnant, she should be mandated to keep the child even whether she wants the child or not.  These pundits further aver that once a woman becomes pregnant, she should step up to the plate to be a mother.   A subset of such adamantly assert that abortion should be illegal, even in cases of rape & incest.   These pundits do not care whether the woman is psychologically prepared to become a mother, once impregnated no matter what cause, she must become a mother nevertheless.   They add that if the woman does not want to become a mother, then give the child up for adoption.

However, it is far more humane to have an abortion than to have an unwanted or unplanned child or to have a child in less than ideal circumstances.  Many young girls have abortions because they believe that they are not ready to be a mother, feeling that being a mother would interfere & derail their educational & career plans.  There are young women who are not financially ready to be mothers, feeling that it is wrong to bring a child into an impoverished environment.  Abortion should be kept legal as woman have the right to have an abortion when the necessary circumstances arise.

11. Tanzvanz profile image61
    Tanzvanzposted 9 years ago

doesn't everyone get a chance to live? Imagine for just a second that its you inside that womb, don't you deserve a chance to live, to see sunlight and who knows meet the person of your dreams yet when you have an abortion you are taking some one's life, you are denying them the chance to experience what you have.

when women say its my body I can do whatever I want to it, but when you have a abortion, is your body that you are ripping apart? No, its the baby's body you are ripping apart.

rather than getting abortion, you would rather give up the child for adoption because the baby in your womb did not beg for you and your spouse to make reckless mistake.

Abortion has major consequences such as you might be at risk, one mistake could cost you your life and the one you are trying to take. Abortion has said to leave a huge void in one's life, the guilt tears you up, the thoughts of what could have been. Could my child have had blue eyes? Black hair? would they have looked like me or the father, if they would have grown up to be a soccer star? Or the thoughts of you fixing their tie or dress at their wedding day and the more what could have been's. 

You get raped or something bad happens, its a very sad situation if you think you cant live with the child because the child will always remind you of the incident then give birth and give it to a loving family that is desperate need for a baby because not every single women has the privilege to have a baby.
    Remember what does not kill you makes you stronger, one day when the child is grown up will remind you where you have been, what you have been through but you made it and you are stronger than before.

12. bayunugsaputra profile image60
    bayunugsaputraposted 9 years ago

Abortion can be done if the situation is very critical. For example, if there are no abortions could threaten the safety of the mother.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)