What's the biggest hit you've ever brought to a Pot Luck Get-Together?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image86
    Billie Kelpinposted 9 years ago

What's the biggest hit you've ever brought to a Pot Luck Get-Together?

I brought some warm German Potato Salad last week to a Pot Luck and it was a BIG hit!  However, I'm out of ideas for the same group next week.  Many of the people of our group are vegetarians, but not all.  What was the biggest hit that you've ever brought to or have had at  a pot luck?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11943087_f260.jpg

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

My vegetarian enchiladas.  Even meat-eaters were fooled, not realizing they were eating 100% vegetarian food.  I think they were surprised, some being hard-core meat-eaters, thinking that 'they could always tell' if there was no meat in a dish.
    It became a standard request for me to bring to such events.

Billie Kelpinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That would be a great hit with this group, I think.  Do you have a hub on that, DML?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not, Billie--It's one of my trade family secrets.  ;-)  It may appear in an e-book sometime in the future, however.....

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I also have a German potato salad recipe-- but anothr recipe based on a recipe by my German Mother-in-law is sauerkraut. People either love it or ignore it, and those that  ignore it have only tasted sauerkraut straight out of a can. When it is simmered with apples onion and bacon, seasoned with a little mustard seed and bay leaf, it's a whole different dish.

Ah, nothing like German potato salad. Once someone asked a chef what the best Thanksgiving dressing was. He said, "The kind your mother used to make."  However, JUST last week  I found someone who made German potato salad better than my moms.(shhh !)

4. Kathy Stutzman profile image85
    Kathy Stutzmanposted 9 years ago

The biggest hit I ever brought to a pot luck was also the funniest...I am a very good cook and expectations were high when our family was invited to the weekly fishing resort potluck. I was on vacation and was not prepared to cook and had neither fun spices nor cooking utensils - we were roughing it, so I made 2 boxes of Rice a Roni and put it in a casserole dish. EVERYONE raved over the dish asking for my recipe, eating every single grain of rice. I couldn't bring myself to tell them what it was.

1. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mm, I love the San Francisco treat!

2. Billie Kelpin profile image86

This IS so CUTE!  I'm tempted to try it! Thanks for sharing this story, Kathy.  I think this will be one of those stories I pass on over the campfire.

5. bethperry profile image83
    bethperryposted 9 years ago

KFC. The bucket was devastated in less than five minutes by the adults. I then saw a kid actually peel the cardboard box away in strips and then he began to lick the chicken juices off. Wish I could say the same about something I've actually cooked! lol

No fuss, no muss, no bother!  I like it. And after all, that IS a secret receipe.  How could I top that ?

6. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

Vegan chocolate tamales, filled with chocolate chips and walnuts, with warm orange ganache to drizzle over them.

Lisa, oh my goodness, that sounds like a LOT of work!  But delicious!

2. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It was for a dessert potluck birthday party, and the birthday girl is a vegan personal chef. Everybody brought their A game!

7. Arachnea profile image65
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

chili mac. i brought chili mac. everyone loved it.

I don't know what that is Arachnea!  Do you have a hub about this?

8. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 9 years ago

Rum balls. They're somewhat time consuming to make, but in the end they were a HUGE hit. Everyone loved them and got a kick out of pretending they were getting drunk. As a result, the potluck was that much more fun. Some of my co-workers were hilarious as they pretended to be inebriated.

Ha Ha Ha !!!  I know that feeling and it WOULD make the pot luck more fun!  Just smelling the rum balls makes you think you're drunk!  And actually, I think you CAN get drunk on those right? You don't bake the rum balls.

2. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It totally does make things fun, Billie. However, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of rum, so you can't really get drunk . It's just fun to make-believe.  It helps to use dark rum. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cocoa-rum-balls/  and a bit of orange peel.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image86

Savvy, I think I can get "real" drunk on a teaspoon of rum!  (I don't get out much !)

4. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol. We might have to change that. Ha,ha,ha!

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Rofl!  I love rum balls.  But my dad used to have a saying about people who got drunk, or thought they were:  "Some people think they're drunk if you slap them on the rear with a bar towel!"  ;-)

6. Billie Kelpin profile image86

DML, Love that quotation of your dad's.  On my end, there is a note with your comment that says, "waiting moderation".  I never saw THAT before!

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

I see it on my end every time I comment on the Q&A board; I did not know it was visible to others.  Weird.

9. WheelerWife profile image74
    WheelerWifeposted 9 years ago

You can never go wrong with Puppy Chow!
    Most memorable item at a potluck was fresh dates filled with cream cheese and pecans - delicious!

Whoa!  How do you do that?  I'll have to google it.

10. dappledesigns profile image74
    dappledesignsposted 9 years ago

Deviled potatoes were my big hit. People didn't believe that there really wasn't any egg in and and hummus haters went back for more even though there was a ton of hummus in it lol.

SO glad you answered this, Dappledesigns.  I NEED your hubs re: interactive pdf's etc. etc.  I can't find this recipe among your hubs.  1.  Do you have a hub on this? 2. Do I have your permission to link to it if I make a hub of this ques?

2. dappledesigns profile image74
      dappledesignsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm so happy to read this! I'm glad they will come in handy smile I don't have a hub on it, but it looks like I'm making them again so I can grab pics to write one! There a few recipes online, but I changed it up so it tasted more 'eggy' without eggs.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image86

Let me know when you have that hub.  I'm emailing all the people who participated here and I'd like to list their ideas and then link to their hubs that have the recipes.  It will take me awhile to get to it though smile

4. dappledesigns profile image74
      dappledesignsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

will do!

11. chefmancave profile image73
    chefmancaveposted 9 years ago

I have two. First, Spicy Hawaiian Chili with pineapple. Second a dish called Potato Ya-Ya. It features baby gourmet redskin potatoes with coconut milk, butter, bacon and corn. The final touch is mixing in shredded aged Vermont white cheddar cheese. It is sinfully creamy and delicious.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)