How would you describe depression?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. emilyzeinert profile image60
    emilyzeinertposted 9 years ago

How would you describe depression?

2. Dr Arsalan1989 profile image57
    Dr Arsalan1989posted 9 years ago

lack of satisfaction... from life. It can only happen when person want to achieve some thing and he fails.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 9 years ago

Depression is much, much more than having the "blues." It can affect your whole life. I have been dealing with depression and PTSD for years now. It can completely debilitate you. The depression can get so bad that it is such a chore to actually get out of bed.

I also think the word itself is taken too lightly as your first answer shows. It is not something I would wish upon anyone. It is a chemical imbalance in someone's brain. Some are more susceptible than others. It is also hereditary. Depression is like living in a cold, dark dungeon without any hope of any kind. I hope this helps.

emilyzeinertposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great answer, JThomp. There are so many myths and misunderstandings about depression. The stigma is incredible.
      Like you, I have depression & PTSD. I also have BPD & anxiety disorders. How people see mental illness is ridiculous.

4. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

It's a feeling of being disconnected from others and feeling hopeless regarding having a better future. If one believes tomorrow is going to be just like today it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that life is not worth living.
    You take away a person's dreams and hopes for a better tomorrow you'll pretty much zap their desire to live. A depressed person views their life through a microscope and not through a wide angle lens or have a "global perspective"/ long-term view of life. They wallow in the immediate.
    Depression is the refusal to imagine a better life beyond one's present circumstances. Today is but only one page in one chapter of one's book of life. Every good book has some plot twists.

I wouldn't say I agree with the wording "refusal to imagine a better life". At my lowest points, I have been absolutely unable to see a better future until something happened that reassured me that it will get better.

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the word "unable"/unwilling is a better choice than "refusal". However my point is a depressed person has a "limited view" and not one that contains options and possibilities. Oftentimes they'll shun anyone who attempts to lift their spirits

3. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 9 years agoin reply to this

dashing.. apparently you have "never" been depressed in your life. I mean real depression. Not just being sad because your dog died.

4. emilyzeinert profile image60

In my experience dealing with depression and helping others around me, the "shunning" you speak of is not so much of "shunning". It is the inability to accept that others can see the good in your life better than yourself

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

JT, I doubt it's possible for anyone to live over 5 decades without having experienced depression beyond having a pet die. My point is depression is based upon one's "perception". When one stops being depressed it's not due to the world changing.

5. liesl5858 profile image84
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

Depression is  a condition that make someone's life not worth living for. It is a hidden illness that affects a lot of people and is to be taken seriously. A person who is depressed loses the will or hope to carry on living. It happen to me before and I find it hard to get out of bed. I never understood the meaning of depression until I experienced it myself. I lost interest in everything like work, food, and even going out, I hated it.

Depression is like a dark place- similar to a tunnel that you don't want to be in. No light, no life and it is all darkness. It is not a good place to be in. How to get out of it, by being strong and having hope. Also ask for help from trusted family or friends. Don't suffer in silence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)