Do you think Hilary Clinton will become the Democratic nomination in 2016?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. one2get2no profile image71
    one2get2noposted 9 years ago

Do you think Hilary Clinton will become the Democratic nomination in 2016?

2. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 9 years ago

I don't think it matters at this point.  Since the Republicans now rule the government.  She'd be a lame duck and all her ideas would get squashed by the other two houses.  But otherwise, it is very possible, although I heard somewhere she was planning to retire now that her daughter is expecting.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

her daughter already had the baby and I doubt she is retiring any time soon.

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lybrah, "lame duck" refers to an elected official who is on their way out office. They've run their last campaign. Essentially a "lame duck" is a candidate who is a "short timer" going through the motions. No new president is a lame duck.

3. profile image56
      retief2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dash, your explanation of lame duck is mostly correct, though an active President with a friendly Congress can accomplish much in the last years. Lame Duck implies diminished influence, like the Democrat Senate after this past Tuesday.

3. Writer David profile image59
    Writer Davidposted 9 years ago

I tend to believe Hillary will become the Democratic Party nominee.  But, not before a bruising and costly nomination fight with other candidates.  She is popular right now.  But, that will change once her skeletons in the closet come out. Will she win the presidency?  That depends on who the GOP nominates.  Right now, I don't see a really viable candidate.

1. profile image56

Is she popular? Her book didn't sell well, her political influence was virtually nil in this midterm, she has no national stage after resigning as Secretary of State - I think she has rabid fans and fewer of those each day. Popularity implies more.

4. handymanbill profile image76
    handymanbillposted 9 years ago

She's going to try. But she has a lot of negative baggage to over come. The 2012 attack on the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi is a good example. But it also depends who the Republicans nominate.

1. profile image56

I think her time has come and gone. The only way Republicans could lose to Hillary is if they ran David Duke - I would even vote for her than.

2. teamrn profile image59
      teamrnposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Her time has come AND GONE. I don't think she has the chops to run the gauntlet like she did in 2012, I give her a lot of credit for running it, but now, something else calls. It's caked grandma hood.. Put away the pantsuits and b a wife and grandmae

5. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

She probably will, but I really hope there is a better choice than her.  I'd love to see Elizabeth Warren give her a run for her money, but I doubt that would happen.

1. profile image56

Elizabeth Warren, the woman who claimed Native American roots to secure an affirmative action slot, she could never win, never - feel free to gloat in 3 years if she is inaugurated.

6. Craan profile image75
    Craanposted 9 years ago

I sure hope Hilary Clinton doesn't become the president of the United States. She definitely won't be capable of handling the dire responsibility, now that she is a proud grandmother.

Besides, I believe the presidency is not her calling and also she can't defile the God of the Bible who eloquently states, men are the head of the women and Christ is the head of men. Therefore, she will not make it to the presidency because leading our country is truly a man's job. I am okay with this, because God said so.

1. profile image56

I hope she runs. Her candidacy will guarantee a Republican victory, even with a flawed nominee.

7. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

It's hard to say with any certainty.
    Back in 2008 everyone thought she was a shoo-in to win the Democrat nomination until she lost the Iowa primary.
    A lot can happen over the course of two years. Hilary will not just have to contend with other Democrats vying for the nomination but also dealing with Republicans who will go after her as they "assume" she will be the presumptive nominee.
    They did the same thing during 2007 and 2008 which kept their microscope off of other candidates like Barrack Obama.
    The good news for her is she has name recognition, she has been a U.S. Senator, Secretary of the State, and her husband remains one of the most popular former presidents in the eyes of many.
    Unfortunately for her the bad news is the same as listed above! Basically Hilary is such a polarizing candidate that it's not likely she will "convert" any new people to vote for her. Nothing she could say or do from now until then will change anyone's mind who has decided to vote against her.
    She has a better than  60% chance of winning the nomination at this point. I suspect both her and her husband learned a lot from the last run. You can't (ignore) those in the pack who are seeking the nomination while preparing a general election strategy.
    A lot of folks would rather see Elizabeth Warren run for president. At this point people are more curious to see who will win the Republican nomination. Most (assume) Hilary will be the Democrat nominee.

8. profile image56
    retief2000posted 9 years ago

No, she is damaged goods. She is surprisingly, even shockingly, abrasive. Her efforts during this mid-term election, along with her husband, demonstrated that her influence on political events has been greatly diminished. She isn't well. She is, to be blunt, old. She is vulnerable from the left and the right, within her own party - that is if there is a right remaining.

I think there are far more negatives than positives in the prospect of her nomination.

9. teamrn profile image59
    teamrnposted 9 years ago

I don't see Hilary winning a general election; she may be the nominee, but I've long felt two things: she wants to be a grandma in more than 'name.' SHE WANTS TO FILL THE ROLE.

Also, unless the Republican party nominates a nincompoop, it will not take much to trump a bid by Hilary. She doesn't have much of a record of achievement of much of anything,. and she'll have Benghazi to live up or down to (but to answer for).

It's awfully early; I feel that when we elect a woman to the WH, it needs to be the RIGHT  woman; people will expect SO MUCH from the first woman POTUS and I think that at one time Hilary had it, but I think the fire in her belly is no longer there.

There's no telling who is going to pull what rabbitt out of what hat and that'll solidifiy the election cycle.

10. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

one.....It's certainly apparent she intends to give it a go.  I'm normally a bit hesitant to discuss "Politics" in any form with anyone.  However, I can allow myself to respond to your question because my answer/opinion truly has nothing to do with my party preference or any staunch stance I hold to either the right of the left.
    This is based strictly upon my opinion of Hilary, the woman/politician/potential candidate.
    For the life of me, I have no idea how the woman has become so beloved and popular.  I have not seen nor heard anything exceptionally helpful nor outstanding come out of her mouth. 
    She's accomplished nothing that qualifies as spectacular for our country, our policies, nor the position she currently holds.
    I don't find her terribly "brilliant" intellectually and she's certainly not Miss Personality or much of an orator.
    So.....I guess I don't need to add this:  she may well be the Dem nomination in 2016, but sure as HECK hope not......

1. profile image56

You have clearly expressed all of my feelings about Hillary.

11. EricBrown921 profile image55
    EricBrown921posted 9 years ago

Unfortunately she may, but not someone that I would ever consider supporting and definitely not a person that I would vote for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)