If your ancestors come from another country, do you keep some of of their holida

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

If your ancestors come from another country, do you keep some of of their holiday traditions alive?

Do you always have certain foods, or songs, or activities that were handed down from your family when they lived in another country or culture?

2. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

too bad my ancestors are malaysians. But my grandmother was from china. We still keep the chinese practice.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is being a bit mysterious. What is the Chinese practice?

3. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

Many of my family traditions are British. I am a third generation Australian on my mother's side and a fourth generation Australian on my father's side.

The Christmas tree and the presents under it come from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. It was originally a borrowing of Albert's from his native land of Saxe-Coburg (now part of modern Germany). He grew up with this tradition and so passed it on to his wife and children. Then it spread from the royal family outward. People in Britain just loved the idea and took to it. Traditions of eating plum pudding and ham are probably much older.

The song Silent Night, a favorite of mine, dates back to Victorian times and I believe it originated in Austria. There is a lovely story set in December of 1914, close on a hundred years now. In the trenches of the Western Front there was an agreement not to fight during Christmas day unless fired upon. It was something both sides honored. Then the Germans began to sing Silent Night in German and the British troops opposite them began to sing the same song only in English. Gifts of food were exchanged between German and British soldiers and there were football games. The truce lasted from a day to a week, depending on the locale in the line. When it was over both sides started up the fighting and killing again. The military leaders on both sides made sure this truce would never occur again in the coming years of WW1. My grandfather fought on the Western Front during this most terrible of wars.

Personally I love to see at least one version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I love the American cinema adaptation Scrooged but also have a fondness for the Black Adder salute as well as the Doctor Who tribute made a few years ago. I once saw a live stage play version of A Christmas Carol and have Dickens' original written story along with his other Christmas tales.

There are of course traditions that are completely Australian which make Christmas something special. There is the beach and the BBQ. I like seeing people having fun in the sun on this most joyous time. Ha! I like the beach and the BBQ also for my family and yours truly. Merry Christmas!

4. quildon profile image73
    quildonposted 9 years ago

I was born and grew up in Trinidad, so I still observe some of the Christmas traditions, mainly the food, from that country. See my hub Christmas Traditions In Trinidad and Tobago.

5. peeples profile image92
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

A little more than a year ago while doing some research I found out for sure that my mother's family was Jewish. After more research I learned that being Jewish wasn't just about a religion, but also about race. I became more involved in learning about Israel and began teaching my children as I learned. This year we decided to do Hanukkah in our own way (along with Christmas since my husband is Christian). I spent most of my life not knowing anything about my mother's side of the family. So I am determined to teach my children. My Father's side is from Mexico and Honduras, but I was never taught Spanish as a child (the mentality of "we are in the USA you don't need that" proved wrong as more Hispanics came to USA)  So I have been learning some Spanish and using some of it around the house. Sadly most of what my kids know are words like ándele which they learned simply out of my frustrations. I cook traditional Mexican foods often, and do what I can to pass on at least a little of our heritage from both sides. Sadly I doubt we will ever full take up any of the real culture.

6. WheelerWife profile image73
    WheelerWifeposted 9 years ago

One side of our family is German and the other is Norwegian. Usually the Norwegian side is a little more dominant during the holidays - we still have traditional foods like lefse and lutefisk and other sweets as part of Christmas dinner.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)