Is autonomy more important to you than compromise?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Kate Mc Bride profile image75
    Kate Mc Brideposted 9 years ago

Is autonomy more important to you than compromise?

In my view, compromise and autonomy are opposite to each other but they have their place in understanding behaviour. Can there be a balance or which is more important in your life?

2. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

I believe the goal is to find someone who shares your same values, wants the same things for the relationship that you do, naturally agrees with you on how to obtain those things, and last but not least have a mutual depth of love and desire for one another.
    If a couple agrees on the "important things" in life then the autonomy (independence or freedom, as of the will or one's actions) concerning non important things should pose no threat to the relationship.
    For example if a woman desires to go see a musical and her mate would rather stay at home and watch a football game they both can do as they please with friends. Having different interests is ok.
    Some people believe it's not "real love" unless their mate will do things they dislike or jump through hoops just to please them. However this begs the question of: Why would you want someone to do anything for you knowing how much they detest it?
    People who are "in love" usually want their mate to be happy. I can't imagine enjoying any event or activity if I knew my wife hated being there! Personally speaking I'd rather go alone than put her through it.
    Compromise is best when one party doesn't feel strongly about it.

Kate Mc Brideposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A very balanced view here from you as usual. Sometimes the problem arises with male dominance-even though some men may mean no harm they expect a woman to do what they want ALL of the time and that doesn't work. for either side.Cheers for your reply

3. connorj profile image67
    connorjposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12064146_f260.jpg

This is a significantly difficult question to answer. In terms of world affairs, I would think one must protect one's or ones' autonomy rather than compromising when dealing with an uncompromising entity that is hostile to some or many (i. e. The Nazi regime, SISI - backwards...).
    Thus, there is a place or time for both, if dealing with an uncompromising bullying-type of situation in one's life compromise will prove unproductive; whereas, dealing with a partner, in my case my better-half, compromise has its place through the years, sprinkled with autonomy to provide dichotomy because of gender differences, I believe this combination balances our relations and solidifies our relationship. I happen to play ice hockey and my better-half's significant compromise through the years to support this has built significant respect on my part and enabled significant compromise on other matters, one example, an expensive opera balcony suite for one of her favorite opera productions, the Phantom of the Opera or Camelot (with the late Richard Harris)...
    Perhaps, one could factor in facilitation of both interests/hobbies, indeed a type of compromise that creates a synergetic outcome that solidifies relations...

your point about synergy makes a lot of sense-autonomy and compromise are not mutually exclusive and a balance between both works best

4. profile image0
    lyndapringleposted 9 years ago

I love autonomy because it means living life only on your terms, doing what you want, when you want and allowing guilt to not be a major player in your life.  However, the only realistic autonomous life is that of following your morals and convictions.  Those should never be subject to compromise as then you cannot be true to yourself.

However, most of life is compromise, unfortunately.  With spouses and friends, it is give and take.  If you want to engage in an outing that interests you with them, you are going to have to reciprocate when they make the same request of you even if you have no interest in their suggestions.  Marriage is all about compromise because spouses often differ in opinions.  Try buying a new house together and that alone will teach a couple the art and necessity of compromise as the couple tries to come to terms with decorative and building decisions.  However, without compromise, without the ability to bend like a willow, one will be short of good relationships.

However, again,when it comes to core values in life and principles, always remain autonomous and true to yourself.

A balanced view indeed. The need for mutual compromise is the key. If one party does all the compromising it is no good for either person

5. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 9 years ago

I think if I make the right compromise by virtue of my autonomous decision making, it is fine!

very true. It is simple as that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)