What do you think about enforcing religion in Catholic schools?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. CanadaCass profile image61
    CanadaCassposted 9 years ago

What do you think about enforcing religion in Catholic schools?

In a lot of catholic schools, it is a mandatory course to take religion, as well as to attend mass, do you agree with enforcing religion on students? To add to that, a lot of students are beginning to turn away from religion because it is being forced down their throats, what do you think of this?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I'm not Catholic but I have known many people who grew up in Catholic school systems, and those requirements have been part of the package for years 'n' years.

If people don't want their kids exposed to such concepts, or object to religion being "forced" on them, then they shouldn't sign them up for a Catholic school...seems like a no brainer to me.

1. CanadaCass profile image61
      CanadaCassposted 9 years agoin reply to this

but what if catholic schools are the only thing in the near area of where someone lives, and what if the school is a great school and its clean and safe, most often catholic schools have more funding so as a result they are cleaner, you cant avoid it

2. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Religion, per se, is why the school is different--clean, safe(er), etc., as you put it.  The money is not why.  Plenty of tax money pours into public school systems, but by the time it gets to the student level bureaucrats have pilfered most of it.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's a lot of "what if's."
      Using your rationale, if the only school close to me was a Yeshiva, I should have the right to enroll there but then tell them "I don't wanna learn about any of that Jewish stuff?" That's absurd.

4. profile image0

Yes, absurd. Also sad when a student loses opportunity to gain a mature perspective on an issue because they care more of what their immaturity wants--unwilling to yield to those who are actually able to care more about their future than they do.

5. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Casey, there has to be a good public school in the area or in adjacent areas. Research areas for good quality public schools.  One does not have to send a child to Catholic school to get a "good" education.  C'mon now.

3. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

What??  The entire concept of a parochial school is the fact that it is associated with a Church/Religion, as well as largely supported financially by said congregation.  Catholic Schools, Christian schools.....what on earth would you expect one of the main intentions of these schools to be?
    It doesn't matter one bit what "WE Think."  This is the way it is. 
    Parents have the "choice" PRIOR to enrolling their children.  It's not a matter of students being forced-fed anything.  If you choose to enroll your child because the Catholic school is nearest your home, then so be it.  We can't have every little thing our way. 
    This is especially true of "private organizations," which IS what these schools are.
    Having said this, I will agree with your last statement about students turning away from being forced-fed.....but this begins at home from Day One.  These individuals end up being "Recovering Catholics," or worse, turn away from Religion in general.  I realize this first-hand. 
    However, my parents had no right or option to say, "I want my child to attend Catholic School, but I don't want her forced-fed Religion.  That's rather ludicrous.  In most cases, it is because they want their beliefs and their Religion  REINFORCED in  their kids....."Here, I forced fed them as much as I could, now it's your turn!!"

1. profile image0

Issues about so-called "religion" and force feeding it could be profitably looked at from many perspectives, but you nailed it on the "What??"  smile  Private organizations have the right to legally run  their affairs as they see fit sans interference.

2. CanadaCass profile image61
      CanadaCassposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I apologize, I meant to ask the question from the perspective of the student, by the time a lot of teenagers reach high school they have already formed opinions on their beliefs in a religious sense, is it fair for teens to endure mandatory religion

3. profile image0

3 issues: A) If their parents wish for them to attend the school they should do so with an appreciative/respectful attitude toward their parents and to the school.  B) Fairness to teens is very often not in their best interest. C) Life is not fair.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Most Catholic High School students have previously attended Catholic Elementary school...Even so, All the same applies to parents and students as well.  I don't think a teen would choose a Catholic school if they're adverse to religion.

5. profile image0

Looking at this generally is one approach, but every teen's needs is usually best known by their parents  and many things probably weigh into the matter.  The religion may not be at the top of the list, but the school may still be best choice...

6. gmwilliams profile image83

Exactly, Paula, it's THE PROGRAM ! Its analogous to the military.If one joins the military, expects drills, shouting by superiors, & obeying rules w/o questions.Institutions have rules and if one goes to an  institution, one has to follow ITS rul

4. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

I don't think that's an issue with Catholic schools themselves as it's right in the name, you know what you're signing up before you send your kids there.

I think that if the student doesn't want to be there, that's something they need to discuss with their parents. I don't think parents should force their kids to attend a Catholic school if they hate it.

However, if it's the only school around, it's one of those "just suck it up" situations. The school shouldn't have to change what it's about just because it's the most convenient school for a non-Catholic. Ideally there would be a public school offered in the same vicinity as a Catholic school so that it wasn't an issue.

If I had to go to a Catholic school I would probably just treat the religious classes like any other class I disliked. I hated math but it was part of the curriculum so I begrudgingly sat through it, did what I had to, and was happy to be done with it when it was over.

1. profile image0

For the sake of conversation, "sucking it up" and "begrudgingly" participating are pretty common responses but what if someone had encouraged you to consider something other than what you wanted, helped you grow into a more mature perspective and...

2. Aime F profile image70
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I definitely think you should encourage it to some extent, but sometimes even with an open mind you just don't like something and that's okay, too.

3. profile image0

Yes, but it's how we open-mindedly respond, not whether we like a situation, that makes the difference in being able to grow and learn as a person (or stagnate).  We have to learn to respond maturely--by learning that we gain more growth opportunity.

4. gmwilliams profile image83

Yes, the matter should be discussed w/ the child.  If the child hates the thought, DON'T SEND HIM/HER to Catholic school.  Everyone knows that religious schools TEACH religion & ENFORCE its rituals. THAT'S WHAT THEY DO!

5. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12298151_f260.jpg

This is part of the program in Catholic and other religious school.  A religious school teaches religion and enforces its particular religious rituals.  That is par for the course.  There is no avoiding the issue at hand.  If parents do not want their children to be force fed religion and attend religious ritual, then do not send their children to religious schools pure and simple.  Institutions have THEIR rules and no matter what parents may say and/or attempt to do, institutions are not going to bend their rules and policies to placate the parents. If the parents do not like the institution's rule, do not send the child to the institution.  There are alternative schools that the child/children can go to.  All the parents have to do is DO RESEARCH!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)