What makes some people to see their religious books as the ONLY authoritative po

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (66 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

What makes some people to see their religious books as the ONLY authoritative point of reference in

which to refer to, judge, & analyze the world, instead of taking a more logical, educated, & scientific approach in analyzing the world events & conditions?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12162152_f260.jpg

2. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

I can give you why I take the bible as Authorized and faithful , because look around you! Look up into the heaven's look at the moon and the stars, look at the sun if you can.!
    The point is all these things listed are dependable, they have not missed one day of anyones life , they are faithful
    they do what they were created for.and they serve us faithful as God's own witness
    Man history is not dependable , friends today enemies tomorrow.  They love you today but hate you in the morning.
    The heavenly Father does not change people
    do !
    I can count on his word comming true. Man says but does different, look at the history of politics . And the many that run the world
    As you know the sun and moon will be there tomorrow.
    Even if man leaves these things will keep existing
    and so has God's word been preserved and keep existing.
    '

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes. The brother sun and sister moon argument. True scientific study does not diminish the creator of all in anyone's eyes. Both science and religion can have their place without one making less of the other.

2. Fred Arnold profile image61
      Fred Arnoldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Even though there are hundredths of contradictory points within the Bible?

3. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To Fred when you say contradiction , it is your experience and believe,  but it is not others experience.
      Example of a puzzle with many pieces , will this become the picture it was meant to be
      is there a piece missing,the bible has no contradiction

4. Austinstar profile image83
      Austinstarposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If your reading skills are equal to your writing skills, I understand why you never read other books and why you also fail to understand basic investigative thought. But you should know the bible isn't the only book in the world with 'truth' in it!

5. Robert the Bruce profile image59
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Austinstar, you probably already know this, but it's not worth it to respond to Kiss and Tales' answers. They are most often unintelligible, unprovable, and irrelevant to the discussion. In other words, a waste of valuable time.

6. Austinstar profile image83

I've noticed that, yes. But I hope to encourage her to read a new book or two. Fruitless, I'm sure. But, I am ever the optimist!

7. Kiss andTales profile image60

To you both why do you read my post , I will not read yours as respected nor reply again to You. For your thinking is limited to this world .I seek higher and I  am pleased with the results of truth. You are the ones that are insecure.Iam not

8. Austinstar profile image83

Oh, maybe you need a tinfoil hat to reduce those 'cosmic' rays then. If you filter out the 'other worldly' interference, you might be able to focus on this planetary communications. Give it a shot.

9. Kiss andTales profile image60

If this suggestion would make me like you and your supporters .I see no gain , I see no pogress, nor wisdom , for you only have criticized issues , not solved any problems
      the bible has the cure in it . You do not.

10. Austinstar profile image83

And which problems have the bible solved? How many diseases has the bible cured? How many deaths has the bible encouraged? How has the bible explained our planetary system?

11. Kiss andTales profile image60

That is why you do not know the Bible ! All the things you have listed is what man has done to himself, if a purposely takes a car and run into his own house would the insurance company pay? Why should God save people who do want to be saved

12. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Kiss, when austinstar said atheists like her are trying to stop Jehovah Witnesses from denying their children blood transfusions when I asked what dhe was doing she deleted my comment. Rest assured you are not the incoherent one is not you.

13. Austinstar profile image83

Seriously, K&T You really need to work on your communication skills. You blather on about things that only exist in your head. You need professional help, so I will take RTB's advice and stop talking to you.

14. Kiss andTales profile image60

Really talking is listening and coming to an agreement , there has never been that  on this subject of you two, instead there has been ridicules from the two of You ! It does not hurt to take the advice you give to others. Have a good day!

15. Rod Marsden profile image67

Scientists work with facts. They are of this world. The theory of evolution is based on an accumulation of data. The Bible is based in part on history and in part on myth. Also in the belief in the world after death.

16. Austinstar profile image83

tsad - I am tired of you misconstruing everything I say and repeating it all over HP. I will no longer speak to you either and if you keep harassing me I will report you. Yes, I will delete your comments whenever I have the opportunity to do so.

17. tsadjatko profile image66

Then don't delete my comments & then lie as to why you delete them which is exactly what you do, others have attested to it & I can prove it because I copied all the comments so when you report me be ready to explain your slanders of me to th

3. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 9 years ago

For too many people they only have their faith and their family. Hence they cling to their religious beliefs. This is most prevalent in the present day where you have much poverty and less educational resources. Sad to say but scientific nonsense such as Creationism started in the impoverished Bible belt of the USA as a kind of call to arms against the much more scientifically based theory of Evolution. Of course there are Christians who have found a way to believe in the scientific truths of evolution and at the same time retain their faith. I admire such people. I do not, however, admire those who desperately need proof that Darwin was always and forever wrong.

It was in the South in the 1920s that the Monkey Trial took place. Evolution was put on trial or I should say a teacher dealing with it in a positive way in class.

It was in the South in 1865 that the Ku Klux Klan was founded. This organization still claims to be mainly Protestant Christian though nowadays I believe Catholics are permitted to join. They claim that their stand for racial inequality comes right out of the Bible. Of course a great many other organisations and people claim the exact opposite is true. Even so burning crosses and terms such as knight are part and parcel of what they are about. Ignorance and poverty mixed with religion can be dynamite. In the north, in New York in the 1990s, a KKK delegation gave a speech to the people and were laughed out of that city. No one there could take them seriously.

In Australia there used to be friction between Catholics and Protestants. That was all smoothed over before I was born. Better living for everyone put an end to it. Religion came to be as separate as it possibly could from politics. Religious political parties have always been around but they generally don't get very far on religion alone. You could work with someone for years without knowing their religion or even if they were religious. This was a good thing. Now unfortunately this is all likely to change with the influx of people into the country who come from a war torn impoverished background and feel they need to cling as strongly as they can to their beliefs even to the point of attacking the beliefs of others. I see nothing wrong with women choosing for themselves what they wish to wear at the beach. Newcomers to my country in the recent past have, however, pushed for a much more strict dress code, creating friction that hadn't before existed.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What you have stated is so true.  Less educated + insecurity in many forms= adherence to organized religion.

2. tsadjatko profile image66

Christians who have found a way to believe in the scientific truths of evolution & at the same time retain their faith are mistaken. Macro evolution is not a scientific fact. It takes more faith to believe in evolution than to believe in God.

3. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Biblical Creationism is born out of scientific ignorance. All one has to do to confirm this is to visit a Creationist website like AIG. When an organization is committed to apologetics FIRST over science, it's obvious what the results will be.

4. tsadjatko profile image66

Really rtb,so as usual you never argue the facts but attack the messenger.Evolution doesn't even qualify as a scientific theory&if you knew science you'd know that.
      https://answersingenesis.org/theory-of- … en-theory/

5. Robert the Bruce profile image59

"Macro" and "Micro" evolution is a false dichotomy. It's a weak argument used by the scientifically ignorant. The majority of those in the scientific world do not use those terms because they know there's only superficial differences involved.

6. tsadjatko profile image66

And what are your qualifications to say that rtb?My BA in Biology qualifies meto say basically, macroevolution is about big evolutionary changes,over long time periods that cannot be observed, microevolution is about smaller, more rapid changes.

7. Austinstar profile image83

Let's hear it for Michelle Obama! She refused to wear a 'head scarf' while in Saudi Arabia! LOL! I wonder what she would wear to a Saudi beach? If some man tried to tell me how to dress, he would have to find another friend to boss around!

8. tsadjatko profile image66

Ah, Austinstar right on topic as usual...http://i0.wp.com/yourdogsfriend.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/squirrel.jpg?resize=300%2C300

9. Kiss andTales profile image60

Also if you really knew what the bible holds you would know that the earth is under test and trial of Satan
      He is the one causing many of the problems
      People are supporting him and helping him destroy others and this planet.
      This will soon end.

10. Austinstar profile image83

Who gets a BA in bioligy? Do you mean a BS? And RTB is right, why bother to answer kiss n tales Or tsad? Neither one of them makes any sense.

11. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Again, the scientific world does not see a problem between macro and micro evolution because the difference are trivial. But I don't expect people who drool over pseudo-science creationist websites to know that. You can't fool those who know more, Ts

12. Kiss andTales profile image60

So is that your solution to the subjects discussed , still no solution , but you will stone the bible with all the solutions , no you could not convince me to take your advice or supporters.

13. tsadjatko profile image66

Star,t he Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) curriculum is designed for students who want to pursue a career in a health-related profession(dentistry, medicine, pharmacy, or veterinary medicine)or those interested in training in an allied health field DUH!

14. Kiss andTales profile image60

To Tsadjatko I am sorry I missed this post that was deleted , I never seen the post at all, I did post on this subject some days ago
      to another huber, A person who has no respect for God will not consider what the bible says on keeping healthy.

15. Rod Marsden profile image67

Wow! Such an explosion of various comments. Christians who have found a way to believe in evolution and retain their religious beliefs are not mistaken. And Robert the Bruce is right about Creationism ignorance. I would add arrogance.

16. Rod Marsden profile image67

Wow! So many comments! Christians who have found a way to accept the truths in evolution are okay in my book. I agree with Robert the Bruce that Creationism is ignorance personified. Also add arrogance.

17. tsadjatko profile image66

Rod, If you are truly interested in the facts I trust you'll read this. http://creation.com/exploring-evolution-origin-life If you won't it's you who has to live with your hypocrisy. It explains how Theistic evolutionists are mistaken.

18. Rod Marsden profile image67

Took a look. The usual simple minded Creationist nonsense. It seems the Monkey Trial of the 1920s is still on for the Bible-bashers.

19. tsadjatko profile image66

Well that's all monkeys can do they take a look, they can't begin to comprehend.

20. Rod Marsden profile image67

Monkeys can learn and they have the capacity to be inventive. Maybe not in the same league as my fellow humans but they no doubt do better than Creationists in terms of thinking outside the box or book.

21. gmwilliams profile image84

Gentlemen, each one of you are entitled to your synopsis of the situation at hand.  Each one is right in his own purview.  Please cease this argumentation.  Please accept that each has a right to his belief.  Thank you kindly.

22. Rod Marsden profile image67

Well I reckon I can evolve in that direction gmwilliams.

23. gmwilliams profile image84

THANK YOU x 3.  The question section is when one states his/her synopsis of the situation at hand & the other person states HIS/HER synopsis.  The person has a right to a different purview. We may not agree but let's not argue. Live & LET LIV

24. Rod Marsden profile image67

Live and let live sounds pretty good.

tsadjatkoposted 9 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12162333_f260.jpg

You make a good point.

If people took a logical, educated and scientific approach in analyzing world events and conditions all so called "religious or "sacred" books would be shown NOT to be authoritative points of reference of a realistic world view, except for only one,

the Bible.

What makes some people to not see that? They are blind. The Bible says they are blinded by Satan and the whole message of the Bible, which is the inspired Word of God, is to reveal the truth to the blind. It has been studied to death by logical, educated and scientific people and has proven to be more historically and archaeologically accurate than any other ancient book. It has been subjected to the minutest scientific textual analysis possible to humanity and has been proven to be authentic in every way. The Bible presents 101 scientific facts found in the Scriptures. Many of these facts were penned centuries before they were discovered. Scientific foreknowledge found only in the Bible offers one more piece to the collective proof that the Bible is truly the inspired Word of the Creator http://eternal-productions.org/101science.html

How Do We Know the Bible is True? Is it Really the Word of God?
    http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com … rd-of-god/

And if we consider the biblical worldview, we find that we can make sense of the laws of logic.But if we don’t accept the Bible as true, we are left without a foundation for laws of logic. After all, none of us have universal knowledge. We have not experienced the future nor have we travelled to distant regions of the universe. Yet we assume that laws of logic will work in the future as they have in the past and that they work in the distant cosmos as they work here.The question is: can we know that they will work in the future or in regions of space that we have never visited? Only the Christian worldview makes sense of the universal, exception-less, unchanging nature of laws of logic. Apart from the truth revealed in the Bible, we would have no reason to assume that laws of logic apply everywhere at all times, yet we all do assume this. Only the Christian has a good reason to presume the continued reliability of logic.The non-Christian does not have such a reason in his own professed worldview, and so he is being irrational: believing something without a good reason. The unbeliever has only “blind faith” but the Christian’s faith in the Bible makes knowledge possible.

1. Fred Arnold profile image61
      Fred Arnoldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'll disagree here. Only faith in the bible leads to knowledge? So what about all the other 1ST world nations that have just as much knowledge and technological growth as the U.S?  This is the problem with religion. It discounts all points of view.

2. tsadjatko profile image66

So you like to twist what is said and take it out of context."faith in the bible leads to knowledge"is not the same as"The unbeliever has only 'blind faith' but the Christian's faith in the Bible makes knowledge possible."Totallydifferentmeaning

3. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Good point, Fred. Christians often claim to have a corner on the truth because they "fear God" and we don't. I used to believe that, but have since gained better understanding. It's not difficult to disprove that absurd and arrogant claim.

So Fred, is the best you can do is take statements out of context to make your point?  The Bible doesn't discount points of view, the facts, the truth proves whether a point of view is valid or not. The Bible is truth.

5. Kiss andTales profile image60

I listen to many views ! But none can match up to God's views and prophesy, A  human life span can not cover all issues of this world .
      when the bible has covered all generations at once as studied,  our history books have shown this to be  true.

5. Dr. Arthur Ide profile image65
    Dr. Arthur Ideposted 9 years ago

Religion exists to enslave the minds of people so that a few can live off the labors of others. read more

6. Austinstar profile image83
    Austinstarposted 9 years ago

1. They don't understand the scientific method of investigations.
    2. They have been force fed their religious book since they were wearing diapers.
    3. They are threatened with "eternal damnation" or beheading if they question the "truths" put forth by their holy books.
    4. They refuse to accept new information.
    5. They believe the rumors of "proofs" that people spread about their holy books even when these rumors are proved to be false.
    6. They are stubborn and illiterate and simply accept what they have been told all their lives about their religion.
    7. They have little education and have never even read or understood other books.
    8. They have an extremely narrow view of the world and world events.
    9. They are taught all their lives to judge by an extremely narrow set of values.
    10. They are actively brainwashed by their daily or weekly "bible" studies.
    11. They are told that "science" is a dirty word and anyone who believes science over biblical explanations will surely burn in hell for heresy.
    There are a thousand more reasons that only education can actually help to dissipate. But these people are too stubborn or too lazy or too illiterate to reach. They refuse to learn for one reason or another. They lack critical thought skills.
    And that is why we will never have peace and unity or nice things. Religion had its chance and it has failed to "save" us.

They also create their own version of science which is based on supporting their beliefs. Hence not really science at all.

2. Rod Marsden profile image67

Some have created their own 'scientific truths' based on knocking people trying to find the truth through real science. Not science at all really since it has no basis in logic .

3. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They would rather have someone tell them what the bible means instead of researching it for themselves.  They are told they will be taken by Satan and burn in hell, which is not true at all.  It is psychological abuse by the church.

4. Austinstar profile image83

I can't imagine what it is like to live in such fear of dying and hell that one would cling to the bible as if it were a life preserver and they were drowning.  They don't READ the bible, they just believe it will save them from some unknown demon.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image66
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

AS I used to belive all that too until I read th words in the Catholic Doctrine (that others use too) they must keep ppl in the dark at all costs.  Asking questions is forbidden by church, but advised by Jesus. HUGE.contradiction there.

6. Rod Marsden profile image67

Fear of dying and of death is still with us and I can't imagine a time when it won't be. I'd rather cling to scientific fact than be so concerned with the afterlife that I'll believe anything.

7. Austinstar profile image83

Why do we even consider having an afterlife? No one has ever come back from being truly dead. It's not looking like anyone ever will either. Houdini swore he would 'come back', but nope. It's just another stage of existence. Like before birth.

8. Rod Marsden profile image67

Houdini also thought he had heard his mother's voice guiding him after she had died. I suppose we are afraid that there is nothing after death. We may never get to meet loved ones again.

9. Austinstar profile image83

Since there is no guarantee of seeing our loved ones again (after death), we should really try and treat them nicely in the here and now! :-)

10. Rod Marsden profile image67

I agree. But even so everyone wants to see their parents again no matter how well they were treated by their offspring. It is a natural desire. We fear emptiness more than a possibly fictional afterlife.

7. profile image54
    Manjari Vadrevuposted 9 years ago

In the religious scriptures everything is associated with truth and it plunges people to blindly search for an answer from these books. Actually, every custom from Hindu religion is in some way related to science. But the people are fascinated in following a ritual by relating it to a super-natural power than science. They worship Peepal tree blindly saying that it is God, but they don't want to know as to why it is worshipped. It is the only tree which produces oxygen at night time also. We know how much an oxygen cylinder costs. So, to make the people cultivate these trees, our ancestors have termed it as Deity. Thus, science stood beneath the ritual often. All the Hindu rituals which we follow now-a-days are surviving with the base as science, which has gone deep inside the roots to the extent that it is not visible.

A fascinating take on the subject.

8. profile image0
    MrDanielAbramposted 9 years ago

Radicals see it that way. This is seen with muslim radicals including ISIS and al qaeda.

Poverty and warfare that continues for too long will create religious fanatics. This is why ISIS and al qaeda are the way they are.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)