Has the United States become better or worse since President Obama and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 years ago

Has the United States become better or worse since President Obama and why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8189666_f260.jpg

2. cathylynn99 profile image74
    cathylynn99posted 8 years ago

employment is better. the economy is better. the stock market is better. the environment is better protected. more people have health insurance. fewer US soldiers are in harm's way. do you think those things are enough to say the US is better?

1. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My health insurance deductible tripled and the premium increased by 50%.

2. profile image0
      Larry Wallposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Can you translate that into real numbers. You possibly had inferior insurance before Obamacare. I have found two people on different hubs admit to that. You may be paying more, but is the level of protection better?

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Cathylynnn99
      How are you judging that employment is better? People that lost their job in 2008 didn't find jobs since then and they ran out of unemployment, and then fell off the job statistics.
      People that lost their homes because of the real esta

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

It's been a mix but then again it's always been that way.
    Clearly from an economy point of view anyone with a "clear memory" remembers the record foreclosures, unemployment at 10%, the stock market in the toilet, (GM stock at $2.50) and about to go bankrupt increasing unemployment by several more thousand people.
    It was the worse recession since the Great Depression.
    Comparing that period in 2009 to how things are today I would say we are economically better off. Nevertheless it has not been a robust economy. However compared to other countries we're doing good.
    With every president there is also the issue of "gridlock" and politics with whomever their opposition party is that stymies things. He has pushed to  raise the minimum wage above the poverty level, reduce carbon emissions, sought ways to make healthcare more affordable, deal with the 11 million undocumented workers presently living here, and wants  more stringent background checks for purchasing guns especially automatic and assault guns.   Wrongly or rightly he is giving  diplomacy a shot as opposed to going to war first. Osama Bin Laden is dead and there are less U.S. soldiers dying in wars.
    Having said that "key performance indicators" mean nothing to the average person when it comes to the president and the country.
    What it comes down to is how people (feel) about their own situation and whether or not they personally like who is in office. If it's someone they dislike there is nothing they could ever say or do that would elicit praise. People felt that way about George W. and many feel that way about Obama. Imagine if 9/11 had happened on his watch!
    Obama wouldn't have gotten re-elected.
    Being president is a thankless job for the most part where you get no credit for anything "good" that happens during your term and you get the (blame) for all things bad that happen while in office. Odds are close to half the nation voted against you to begin with. Half of one's first term in office is spent getting ready to run for re-election and whomever the opposition party is they're doing their best to make sure you don't do anything that would assure you're re-elected. As bad as the president's approval rating is congress' approval rating is much lower. People are unhappy period.
    Personally speaking I've done well under the Obama years if I'm being completely honest. However unlike most people I don't expect any president or the government to determine whether I succeed in life. In my opinion the U.S. in  2015 is much better than it was in January 2009.

4. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 8 years ago

Things have gotten way worse. Our standing in the world is at its lowest as is the moral of Americans. We are now a divided nation and I cannot see anyone being able to repair the damage he has done.

Some will say that he should get credit for the economy recovering, but what they don't realize is that this is how cycles work. The problem is that normally a "boom" follows the "bust", which we have not had because he has slowed down the recovery with by focusing on his personal political agenda instead of doing what is best for Americans. 

He has divided this nation, as can be seen by his inability to even work with Congress. Every president faces this challenge, but he has failed miserably because he has no leadership qualities and does not understand what the word compromise means.

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

BizWhiz, How can any president divide the nation? It's pretty much always that way. Democrats & Republicans rarely agree! Most proposals from congress involve repealing Obamacare which they knew he wouldn't compromise on Neither side looks great

2. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You view my statement as being about democrats and Republicans being divided? If so, u r being short sighted. I said our nation is divided. That means our people, not our politicians. U need 2 think a little bigger than politics my friend.

3. dashingscorpio profile image80

Not just Democrats & Republicans.
      My statement alludes to we have always had divisions among our population. This includes race, gender, politics, religion, LGBT, and classes of wealth. Unity only exists when there is a (common enemy) my friend.

4. profile image0

There has always been divisions, but not like now.

5. dashingscorpio profile image80

The only difference I see is we now have 24 hour news, the Internet, and social media for people to highlight the divisions.
      Surly we're not as divided as during the civil rights movement and Vietnam war protest of the 60s or the civil war era!

6. profile image0

I agree w/ the fact that we have order off the menu news. U & I can go back n forth about division, but the reality is that Obama is a terrible president.
      http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2 … poll-reaga

7. dashingscorpio profile image80

The link wouldn't open for me. However I believe when it's all said and done a history of all U.S. presidents Obama will not be considered "terrible" when events of his terms are in black & white without bias or emotional disdain. Nixon & Car

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

The declining trend continues, and that is due to the continuing ineffectiveness of Congress. How do you see any positive change during Obama?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)