Is Kim Davis making Christian's look better or worse?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Josh Ratzburg profile image75
    Josh Ratzburgposted 8 years ago

Is Kim Davis making Christian's look better or worse?

I find this fascinating, because being a Christian, I think she is making "us" look terrible. I grew up in a Lutheran School all the way through High School, I try to follow the Golden Rule more than any others: Do unto other what you would want done to you. However, many Christians appear to be embracing her "hate" and seem to be seeing her as a hero. What do you think?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12633065_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    SirDentposted 8 years ago

I wonder how many would call Jesus a hater today.  Mat 12:34  O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Kim Davis stood on her faith, a rare thing these days.  Vilified because of her belief in God and knowledge of the scripture.  Her past brought up time and time again by those who have no idea what grace is. 

When Jesus said, "Father, forgive them,"  all sins were forgiven.  When repentance comes, old things have passed away and a new creature is born. 

There is a time soon coming, when we will have to stand on our faith.  We need to make sure our faith is in the right place or we will fall. 

The Golden rule does not mean to condone sinful behavior.  It means be good to everyone.  The Apostle Peter said it best, "Act_5:29  Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men."

Josh Ratzburgposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Paul writes in Romans to obey your government, because the Lord as put the officials in office- i'm paraphrasing for lack of characters, but Romans 13, check it out.

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's a cop out John.  If the government passed laws saying it is OK to murder the elderly when they get sick, would that make it OK to do so?  The Word of God trumps the word of man.  Hold to faith in God, or hold to words of men.  Choose today.

3. Josh Ratzburg profile image75

My name is Josh. But I'm just showing you, I can pick random Bible verses out too.

4. profile image0

Does one verse nullify another verse?  The whole Word of God has to be used.  Peter made his statement before Paul was converted. 

Sorry about miscalling your name.  No idea what I was thinking when I said John.

5. Josh Ratzburg profile image75

That's fine, it actually happens a lot, oddly. But if the whole thing needs to be used, all of Leviticus?

6. profile image0

Grace, unmerited favor given to someone who does not deserve it.  Grace and mercy of God offered to all who accept it.  Does not mean sin is condoned.  Acceptance is a must, or, old law is used to judge.  Stop following those who do not know grace.

7. Michael-Milec profile image61
      Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Peter, Paul ,John or whoever would probably "keep" their working position if required to issue a worthless piece of certificate which is not affecting the God Creator, neither righteous life of His children only those who do oppose the law of nature.

3. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

Most of the world's "christians" population will not even know or be affected by the Kim Davis controversy. The followers of Jesus i.e. the children of the Most High (John 1:12.13) , we are called to engage in Kingdoms business, to know and to do the will of the Father as shown and done by Jesus Chris of Galilee. Thus we should care how " better" is the world affected by our life of righteousness...

4. Diane Van Hook profile image72
    Diane Van Hookposted 8 years ago

As a non-Christian, I don't see it as her making Christians look bad, she just makes herself look bad.

So she stood by her religious beliefs, that's not the issue I have. She can be against same-sex marriage all the live-long day. She is entitled to her beliefs.That is not my issue.

My issue is that she used her religion as a platform to deny citizens their legal rights. This is why we have a separation of Church and State. So that we don't do this. This like the pharmacist that denies women birth control because he feels it against his religion. It's why the whole Hobby Lobby thing pisses me off.

If you have an issue religiously with what you are doing as an occupation, then you should probably think about changing jobs. She refused to do her job.

Religious freedom is the right to practice your religion without being to the detriment of others. Religious oppression is the imposition of your religion on others to prevent them from practicing their own.

Do your job or leave.

Simple as that.

That was kind of the jist of my hub: http://joshratzburg.hubpages.com/hub/Wh … uld-Resign

5. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

I don't think you can sum up a religion by looking at its most extreme followers. Extremists latch onto certain tenets of a faith, and become obsessed with them. That doesn't describe most Christians (or Jews, or Muslims, or Buddhists) I know. They're just nice, normal people, who believe what they believe, and live their lives, without bothering anyone else about that belief.

Kim Davis is an extremist. She seems intent upon forcing her beliefs on everyone in the county in which she's serving. A good Christian might still feel, in good conscience, they cannot issue marriage licenses to gays, but would step aside, and allow someone who is okay with it to do so instead. Davis isn't being reasonable, or accommodating anyone else's beliefs. She's saying that because she believes something, everyone must comply with her beliefs, rather than keeping her faith, and allowing others to keep theirs. I don't think that's representative of how most of the Christians I know live their lives.

6. Jordan Travis profile image67
    Jordan Travisposted 8 years ago

Kim Davis, although she fails to epitomize all believers, is setting a poor example for the rest of the world to follow after. The reaction from the rest of the conservative side of politics reveals a stark reality that they desire Christian privilege, which is supported no where in the Bible. The Bible calls us to be more like Jesus who more spoke out against religious, pious elites than rotten sinners. I wrote more about it here, if you're curious: http://www.thebeardedtravis.com/?p=113

1. grand old lady profile image84
      grand old ladyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

She should have just married them, since it's her job. It's not her job to convert them. She may disapprove of their choice, but marriage is such a personal decision, and in this case, it's not hers to make for them.

7. Rich kelley profile image60
    Rich kelleyposted 8 years ago

big·ot·ry
    intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

This goes both ways, but always seems to be forgotten.

Bigotry is what separates us from God, our opinions are different than His. When people want to change the God of the Scriptures they are in fact bigots. The people pleasing followers and unbelievers alike have a problem with a God that is intolerant of their behavior. They don't like people that follow by faith a God that is a intolerant towards them or their beliefs.

The world pleasing, fence sitting, professing Christians are quick to rally to bolster their incorrect opinions on the issue. They should be glad this lady stepped up and said no. Now they can point their big fact bigot fingers at her. Keep in mind your bones to pick are not with her but with what God has said, spend more time with Him instead of the socially correct and He will show you His ways.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)