Hubbers, how do feel about the EditBot?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (24 posts)
  1. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 8 years ago

Hubbers, how do feel about the EditBot?

Editing hubs is part of what writers do or with the help of an editor. Editing comments is rather far-fetched for me. What do you think?

2. profile image0
    promisemposted 8 years ago

For better or worse, we live in a world where technology is often more efficient and less expensive than people. Automated editors have joined the trend.

I like having it to catch typos. I have noticed that the icon stays on my main account page the day after I make any fixes.

I'm hopeful the icons will go away so I don't have to keep checking my hubs to see if they have found a new error.

1. DDE profile image47
      DDEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have been checking old and new icons I too wish the same. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

3. UnnamedHarald profile image92
    UnnamedHaraldposted 8 years ago

Going on the assumptions that Google search can't tell the difference between comment text and article text and that spelling mistakes lower search rankings, I have no problem with EditBot fixing comment misspellings. For the most part, I don't care if words are corrected in the comments section so I just skim down. Regarding fixing misspellings (I've always had a problem with the spelling of "misspelling" so I proudly beat it into the ground) within my Hub itself, I would like to see a different-colored robot icon so I can see at a glance on the statistics page that I have a potential problem in my article. The vast majority of misspellings I've seen needed fixing and I still have "veto" power over the few I disagree with.

1. DDE profile image47

Me too, thank you for sharing an opinion. Mostly comments needed attention.

4. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

I like it. Shared at the forums if we correct or eliminate the error that is reflected at the error queue at the top of the Hub. I did a few changes. One Hub had 10 errors and now has only 3.

I realize it is new and being fine tuned. I would like a date when the Editbot is run. From what I understand the actual process of crawling Hubs seeking errors will be done at intervals. In other words it is not live other than error specific once a Hub has checked.

Then I will know if it is an error after for instance me adding new content or editing content. I can compare to the Edit Date as a queue for me to review for new errors in the hub. Also, I would be able to check myself as to when I reviewed the Hubs with that date.

1. DDE profile image47

It does help to check for errors in hubs as well. Errors in comments is a bit more tricky. Thank you

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see they did make some changes posted at the Forum Announcement. Here is the link http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/133237 When the EditBot is run a 2nd time the old correction will be grey. The new will be orange. There are other changes too.

5. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

It is so cool. Who would have thought it, 30 years ago? What a really fantastic machine! Just think about it, in 10 more years we will not need it, because it will be upgraded to write the articles. When you want an article there will not be search engines there will be writer engines. Just plug in "drunk who falls in love with princess and meets with tragic end" and it will write you a love story that rivals Romeo and Juliet! Wow!
    Today I can write an article and get feed back immediately from a machine. To heck with how it effects the article, I get insight as to how a machine thinks. And as an added bonus it tells me how to think.
    "People judge you by the words you use" -- well not anymore, hahaha, they can judge me by the words the machine replaces in my articles.
    Just think about it, when someone really wants to cuss me out in a comment, it will politely be changed into a politically correct pleasant comment and I will feel good about it rather than have to question myself. Imagine the possibilities. It can change the word spelled H E double toothpicks with something else and in a matter of just a few years we can obliterate the notion of hell altogether. Watch out Dante.

Well that was fun. But I really think it is a marvelous tool. In fact it is intriguing to go back through and think about the changes it makes. I "feel" that it will make me a better writer. If we look for the good in it, we will find it and grow. Did you know that some people still do not wear seat belts?

1. DDE profile image47

I think so too in a way that the tool is wonderful idea.  I know some people just don't care to follow the law or to be safe in their own cars. Wearing a seatbelt is a must for me.  I do agree with the tool improving writers abilities.

6. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 8 years ago

Hate it  -  most of my hubs are poems and they do not always follow clear rules of syntax and word use - the symbol never goes away either...

1. DDE profile image47

My problem as well the tool stays there even when the hub has already been checked.

7. Judah's Daughter profile image77
    Judah's Daughterposted 8 years ago

Because it's an "alert", I think once we have made the corrections visible (approved them), the alert should go away and only reappear if new edits are present and need to be made visible.  If we elect to keep the edits hidden, I suppose the alert should remain.  Just my opinion.

1. DDE profile image47

I think so too. Will see how that goes. Thank you.

8. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

I'm not keen on this square headed bot, it's another nail in the coffin of creative writing and by creative I don't just mean fiction and poetry, I mean article writing as a creative act.

OK, I know there are many hubs out there with extremely poor grammar written by newbies who are non-native English speakers. The bot's priority I presume. God Google has thus commanded, so it will be done. I accept this basic fact but find it difficult to reconcile with my ideal of an article written 100% by a homo sapiens.

On a personal level a hub of mine had 18 errors according to the bot! I was goggle eyed when I saw this figure. Surely I'm not that bad a writer? How can it be? It was an EFL article on how to use the apostrophe. There are 10 exercises with incorrect examples which have to be corrected by the student. The bot naturally singled these out (because it has a one-track mind) and cannot differentiate.

1. DDE profile image47

Andrew you are so right! A one track mind! Funny isn't it? Thank you.

9. MarleneB profile image91
    MarleneBposted 8 years ago

I like the concept. I really do. In fact, I find that (most of the time) EditBot is right on with its corrections. But, technology is supposed to be better than humans (at least, that's how I feel). Technology is supposed to save us time. I have discovered, like us humans, EditBot makes mistakes.

My issue is personal. I feel like I already have so much to do that I do not now have time to go back and follow behind EditBot, correcting mistakes. All of the mistakes I have found have been in the comment section. A lot of times, comments are "off-the-wall" humor and quick feedback. Most people don't whip out the dictionary when leaving comments. We read, type a response, and go. I constantly see typos in comments, but I don't judge people's writing style by their comment typos. I just let it go. I'm happy they even took the time to write a comment in the first place.

Now that EditBot is in place, are people expected to formally format their comments? I just feel like I have been given a whole other job to do. Along with being a Content Writer (because of EditBot) I am now an EditBot Editor.

1. DDE profile image47

Well said that is why I choose your answer for the best one. Thank you.

2. MarleneB profile image91
      MarleneBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Devika, it is a rare honor. Thank you for choosing my answer. It means a lot.

10. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

Considering how hard it is to make money writing online, anything that helps is welcome. Though I can't be certain I won't get irked by it when I try to write something non-traditional. A lot of my hubs are about fantasy writing, and I foresee a lot of clashes over words that don't technically exist. Though, as far as stifling creativity, I think search engines are more to blame than HP's auto-correct.

1. DDE profile image47

You do make a very good point about the engines are more to blame than HP thank you

11. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

It's ridiculous, intrusive, unwanted, unwarranted, and Big Brother-esque. I don't need Big Brother Grammar Nazi to swoop through all my hubs and edit comments that my readers have written. That is just RUDE!! and unnecessary and pointless.

In addition it caused a ton of unnecessary work on my end, especially with my instructional grammar hubs. Just ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In essence, I hate everything about it. It heralds the beginning of the end of HubPages. If they continue down this road, they will alienate everyone who writes for them.

12. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 8 years ago

I think it is a great idea, especially if it has a high degree of accuracy. I suspect that search engines will like that there are less grammatical errors. I like that it edits comments automatically, which would be less likely to offend a commenter than if the author was able to edit the comment for mistakes. I think it will also improve each writer and commenters grammar overall. I believe it is a good thing in so many ways.

13. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 8 years ago

It is time consuming, but I like it. The current revisions improved it, and I have now fixed mine. I only have fifty four hubs, so it was not a big deal. I think the robots are funny and make me laugh. I found some errors that needed the French punctuation, many errors in the comments. One from a non-English writer had so many errors, the editbot practically ignored it, which is fine with me. Some of my errors were typos, as I need everything in large print. I did not have too many corrections, as I proofread twice, first in Word and then on the site. One error was in a link to a reference, which I left. In the beginning, many folks were upset about the bot, but now acceptance seems improved. I hope Google likes our spelling, and I still do not understand if it did any grammar corrections. I did not notice any in my hubs. The problem I sometimes had in my writing was ensuring that it was mostly free from passive voice.That problem has become almost non-existent. I appreciate HP for initiating this new tool.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)