I'm planning on traveling for a year sometime in the near future.Which country w

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. batsobob profile image60
    batsobobposted 8 years ago

I'm planning on traveling for a year sometime in the near future.Which country would you recommend?

I'm a 26 year old male from Europe and I'm looking to visit several different countries. Which countries would you recommend considering things like climate, things to do and cost of living and travel ?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12666116_f260.jpg

2. Lila Raines profile image59
    Lila Rainesposted 8 years ago

That's awesome! Travel is such an important thing when you're young and creating your worldview. I'm stoked for you.

I'm from the USA, and traveling in North America is harder than what you're used to in Europe. We don't have a good transportation system and finding inexpensive accommodations is hard. There a few hostels, but they are really far apart and only in a few major cities like San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles.  The US is really interesting and has tons of natural beauty, but it will cost you a lot to rent a car and stay in hotels.

South East Asia is a booming area for young adult travel. Thailand seems to be a favorite of world travelers because it's inexpensive, there's tons of historical sites, the beaches are great, and the people are really friendly. A lot of Americans are moving over their to enjoy the  climate and social atmosphere.

I don't know how much of Europe you have seen, but Easter europe seems a little less touristy (that's quickly changing) and seems to be cheaper. I really want to see Croatia and Slovenia because the beach and mountains look amazing. There's still a lot of ex-soviet landmarks that haven't made it onto the tourist maps. They are quickly showing up on the tourist radar and I'm afraid that the window for authentic travel experiences is ending. Greece also looks really fun. I would love to Greek island hop for a few weeks.   

Columbia, Brazil, and Chile are turning into backpacker hotspots. They all seem really cheap, have tons of stuff to do, cater to people our age, and have really interesting cultures.

Two places I also want to go are New Zealand and Australia. Aussies, especially, seem like the most joyful and kind people I have ever met. I just love their attitudes towards life. I met a lot of them in European hostels and they seem like a fun bunch. New Zealand's got some wonderful mountain ranges that look breathtaking.

Whatever you decide, I hope you go somewhere fun and that it's an enlightening experience for you. Cheers!

1. freecampingaussie profile image61
      freecampingaussieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I highly reccomend doing a trip to New Zealand + Australia as both are amazing countries and have so much to see and do . ! We loved Alaska,Canada ,Ireland as well as a lot of countries in Europe .

3. lions44 profile image95
    lions44posted 8 years ago

You have to go to North America. The beauty of this country is hard to pass up.  It's not as hard to travel around the U.S. as you might think.  Get an Amtrak pass. Air travel is cheaper than you think.  There's lots of options for accommodations in the U.S. and Canada as well.  Check online.  People are very welcoming here.

4. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 8 years ago

There's nowhere else on Earth quite like India. You will experience an alternate reality that will stick with you for the rest of your life. The food is some of the best in the world, and the cost of everything is extremely inexpensive.

5. batsobob profile image60
    batsobobposted 8 years ago

Wow, there's so many great suggestion, now I'm finding it even harder to choose. I'd love to go to the US but I think it might be slightly above my budget. Probably gonna go for one of the other suggestions. India sounds like a great idea !

Thank you all for commenting ! smile

6. SgtCecil profile image86
    SgtCecilposted 8 years ago

If you haven't bought your tickets, Japan is a safe bet. It has something for everyone. Mass transit is awesome and the locals love visitors. Also, the yen is very weak lately so your money will go much farther. I'm American so whenever I go to the ATM, it's like getting a 20% raise!

The only thing that I can think of that will turn anyone off is that Japan is getting too popular. Too toursty. Everyone seems to be coming here. (Have you been here yet?) Some of my adventurous friends are talking about Cambodia or Myanmar.

Most of my hubs are about stuff I've done in Japan, mostly the Kansai area. Wherever you go, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

7. profile image0
    greeneyedblondieposted 8 years ago

Have you started traveling yet? I'm American too and if your budget is tight you can explore different regions individually (I'd stay away from Hawai'i!). On the east coast cities and towns and natural sites are closer together so it's easier to travel by bus or train. The east coast is also home to many historical sites as well if history is your thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)