Do you find yourself referring to yourself as we?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. SpiritusShepherd profile image62
    SpiritusShepherdposted 8 years ago

Do you find yourself referring to yourself as we?

I often find myself thinking "We need to do this", even though I am only talking about myself. Do you find yourself doing this? Do you think it is simply because you are used to thinking with a group mentality? Or maybe you mean you "whole-self" i.e speaking of you mind, spirit and body? Or maybe you have just watched Lord of the Rings to many times?

2. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 8 years ago

I used to do this out of habit with little consciousness that I was doing it.  Then when I was doing full on spiritual work I noticed another person doing it, and it was as if she was speaking on behalf of all of us when she said we.   Because I didn't have the same opinions as she did, I corrected her by saying, please don't say we as you don't speak on behalf of me.  Accordingly I changed my language to not speak for others.

1. Sufi Poet profile image59
      Sufi Poetposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great response !!!

2. SpiritusShepherd profile image62
      SpiritusShepherdposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Usually I only use it when I am thinking, but it does slip out into conversation. My ma actually asks  "Do you mean we as in us or as in you?"

3. Sufi Poet profile image59
    Sufi Poetposted 8 years ago

I have, certainly! Without changing myself, though, the world remains the same. As Rumi stated centuries ago, " Yesterday I was so clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."

But, collectively speaking, we as a human race are many, and all potentially do this very same thing.

Presently, I surrender to "the universe within me. I ask all from myself", as Rumi said.

I am not certain as to whether I have answered your question but embrace only the life changing events within my own life.

I hope this is of a worthy value for you.

Thank you John! I believe I might use it to refer to my "whole self", such as when I use "we" my mind is telling my body and spirit, "this is what we need to get done today". Perhaps another form of talking to oneself.

2. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Krs: What? You mean you talk to yourself as did Jesus?  "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Matt 27:46)

I guess Genesis 1:26  is confirmed!   We were "created in His image!"

4. ketage profile image81
    ketageposted 8 years ago

Ketage never refers to himself as *we*, he has always referred to himself as Ketage tongue

Just kidding, hehehe

I don't recollect ever thinking of myself as a We, I have always thought of myself as an I; hmm, I wonder if that makes me slightly egotistical yikes

XD
      I have just been wondering if anyone else has this habit and how they explain it.  I think everyone is slightly egotistical, honestly. Nothing to be ashamed of haha

5. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

Yes!  We are a spirit, housed in a body with a "soul" or MEW (mind, emotions, and will)! 

As God has NUMEROUS GLORIES, so do we (or what we refer to as titles or functions)!  However, the MEW (soul) operates in different glories as well, warring against good and evil!  This is why Scripture tells us "Lean not to our own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5)! 

Mind: The element, part, substance, or process that "reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges," etc. (Dictionary.com).

Emotion:  A strong feeling (such as love, anger, joy, hate, or fear) (Merriam-Webster.com). 

Will: The mental faculty by which one deliberately chooses or decides upon a course of action (Free Dict).   

We (as in us) have to align our MEW (three different glories (functions) but one spirit; and we certainly have more) up with the Word of God or we (as in us) will err! 

Therefore, there is nothing wrong in referring to glories (functions) within ourselves as "WE!"  Although different functions, yet "one spirit" LIKE GOD for we were created "in His Image" (Genesis 1:26)!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)