How do you fight people who WANT to die or simply see it as part of their plan?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 8 years ago

How do you fight people who WANT to die or simply see it as part of their plan?

I ask not only with regards to the recent terror attacks but also with regard to domestic situations, and those who target innocent strangers (school shooters, etc.). Please answer honestly but do not attack or disparage entire groups of people.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12758538_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12758575_f260.jpg

Anyone who is willing to {die for a cause} is impossible to defeat physically. As long as (the cause) is considered viable there will be others who will step forward each time a leader is killed.
    You have to win or change the hearts and minds of people "over time". Unfortunately that's impossible to do when there is violence at hand. If a country is attacked they will seek retribution.
    It's hardline generations that pass hatred down. No one is born racist or filled with anger against various countries and nationalities.
    Groups like "play for peace" attempt to get children of different backgrounds playing sports together in places like the Middle east to foster tolerance and acceptance early on.
    Nevertheless the idea of "world peace" will always be just a dream. Someone will always feel as though they got the short end of the stick and will be willing to die to improve things for their people.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Someone who is determined enough to die as a martyr or kill innocent strangers at random in a mass shooting is impossible to fight against. This is especially so in a free democratic country, where policing of the streets is relatively relaxed.
    The recent atrocities carried out by Daesh terrorists in Paris couldn't have been stopped even if the Paris streets had been full of military people and police.

Kneejerk reactions to these sorts of heinous crimes are natural but in truth in the long term they get you nowhere. History shows that, if you start a tit for tat sort of war with these types of people, you only stir up more trouble - more extremists, more jihadists, more young terrorists will join the ranks of Daesh.
    It's a horrible situation to be in that's for sure because you never know when the next horror show is going to kick off. Just look at Belgium right now. It's capital city is a virtual military zone, the government are in a panic and don't want to be seen to be weak. Getting the balance right between freedom and caution is very difficult.

Long term, you have to try and undermine the terrorist, the jihadist by subtle acts and quiet strategy. Use special forces, use intelligence to strike specific targets. Cut their funding, use diplomacy to get other countries nearby to not sell them weaponry. Yes, airstrikes and long distance attacks might help a little to offset the anger but the way to get to them is through propaganda and education, and local participation. Try to get the Muslim world pro-active in its condemnation of this terrible group of murderous people, encourage peaceful strategies long term.

Express10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree we cannot fight those who do not care about their own lives. However, it will take an extremely long time to change minds but it can be done. There are over a billion Muslims in the world, and a few seem to be determined to spoil the bunch.

4. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
    Shyron E Shenkoposted 8 years ago

These terrorist people have no heart, they have no soul, and they are miserable. And the old cliché goes “misery loves company” and these people kill those they can’t make miserable.
    The school shooters: I believe they all everyone had/has a mental problem, and there was a failure to properly diagnose and treat these individuals.

I agree. Terrorists truly have no heart yet lie & twist their evil acts into religious acts. A lot of people shooting in colleges & grade schools have mental problems, a few act seem to act out of anger or hatred. They also have no heart or s

5. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Sharing, I wanted to know spending time seeking answers. Result: Intrigue & sadness. I approached with 4 distinct elements:

* How do you fight a foe or force using suicide as a tactic?
    * People who want to die?
    * Planning – individual and organizational
    * Supplemental – contrast with U.S. public shootings.

The answer to the main question:

At task is ‘How do you fight . . .” There of least is not a direct tactic to combat terrorist attacks much less suicide other than:

* Subduing the extremist element
    * Prevention especially awareness
    * Intelligence seeking individuals

TMI . . . 
    I added willingness researching suicide as a generality. Conclusion: there is willingness transitioning to want as a solution for a problem with a plan. I looked further at willingness as valor. We know medals of Honor – military & first responders. That led toward a principal of psychology – cognitive dissonance. That directly relates to choice between two competing values – self contrast another(s). We must include an enemy’s value too. So, becomes a matrix.

Then I looked at the 4th element. I am not conclusive. Assessing an FBI study for 2014 one fact is 40% resulted with suicide. 13% resulted as lethal force. Another study introduced bullying as a root cause. Valor?

For me at this point there is willingness, which may be seen as valor, evolves to want, thus choice, followed by a plan seeking an action. What of suicide attacks as a tactic for terrorism – organizational? A short history is terrorism is always political while religious is not. It began with raping & pillaging instilling fear. Suicide bombing began 1881 in Russia with assassinating Tsar Alexander II.

Research & study offers perspective. Noteworthy today:

* 179 terrorist organizations
    * Focus of attacks is symbolic with a political nature – Gov’t military, Gov’t buildings, banks, etc.
    * Focus is central to urban seeking establishing itself with the rural populace
    * Innocent civilians are collateral damage

2014:
    * 16,080 terrorist actions many bombings
    * 82% of all deaths – Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria
    * 737 suicide attacks
    * 593 were suicide bombings
    * Suicide bombings are most common to Salafi Sunni – Muslim sect, jihadist groups
    * A rise of 94% over 2013 specific to rise of ISIS, Afghanistan withdrawal & Middle East conflicts 
    * The greatest increase in Iraq
    * 17% of above aimed at civilians

ISIS is unique specific to Now within history being opportune. (Not enough space)

You have made some excellent observations.

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

??=the "media as a tool" w/terrorist furthering fear w/little investment; SI attacks. Interestingly Al-Qaeda at war w/ISIS. Note: Refugee crisis fueled by media? Refugees outside region=4M of 12M; EU=716K; ISIS=100K; SI activists? Still too many!!

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

What groups of people would that be? This is a serious question.

I am interested answers to the question I asked here with regard to terrorists and other mass murderers. If you don't understand what was asked, please re-read prior to answering or do not answer at all.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Please delete my comment. You didn't answer my question that would clarify my ability to understand your question.
      bye

3. Express10 profile image85

Don't ever answer that which you do not understand, online or off. If you feel there's not enough info to answer questions on HP, don't. In this way we don't cross paths when I ask questions. Thanks for your time and kind regards.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)