I know it's silly, but I'm sad!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I got my first "thumbs down" today.  Two of them actually...on the same day, in the same block of a few hours.
    I know it's silly, but I'm still kind of bummed.  I had all of these thumbs ups, no thumbs down.  And, I have no idea why I got a thumbs down.  Do they not like the hubs?  The content?  The style?  Me?
    Argh.  Are they mean?  Or, do they have legit reasons for it?
    I know: I should let it go, but it makes me sad.

2. profile image0
    Lisa Bargerposted 16 years ago

Sorry, Stacie.  sad  No matter how you intellectualize it, undeserved criticism never feels good.

Don't let it get to you.  Learn what you can from it--but some people just enjoy being petty.  Let it go and trust yourself.  You're a great writer.  smile

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

For what it is worth, the average ratio of thumbs up to thumbs down for the top 500 authors (by page views) is about 4 ups for every 1 down.  If you're significantly above that ratio, then I'd say you're probably doing something right.

Of course, there are a lot of factors that can affect the ratio other than the intrinsic quality of your hub, the two biggest being 1) where your traffic comes from, and 2) how controversial your topics are.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

1. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Cool... my ratio of ups to downs is 12:1.

4. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Well, I got one for suggesting that the best cure for an arthritic dog was an arthritic cat, so that they could age together. I probably deserved that one!

5. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

Nothing to worry about Stacie, keep your chin up, I have 152 thumbs down on my combined hubs, you cant please everyone no matter how hard you try, your hubs are great........jimmy

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Ah, thanks everyone! 

It bummed me out yesterday, but I know it's not that important today.  I think part of it was not knowing "why" I got the thumbs down.  But, it looks like my ratio of ups to downs is rocking--so, that's a great thing.

7. Hope Alexander profile image71
    Hope Alexanderposted 16 years ago

No-one's mentioned this so far, but perhaps pleasing everyone all of the time isn't such a great thing anyway? I mean if you're not saying anything that anyone disagrees with, then is what you're saying really that interesting or worthy in the first place? What happened to challenging the status quo? To making people think differently? Hate to bring JC into it, but that guy got a pretty big thumbs down from the popular crowd at the end there, but plenty of people still think that he was pretty rocking (no, I'm not comparing myself to Jesus, I am just saying there is value in the non popular too). I have maybe 1/3 or more the number of of thumbs down compared to thumbs up, and quite frankly, I like it. It means I'm not pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Mind you, if you're writing on not very controversial topics like, I don't know, where to go to find the best skin lotion, or the best places to get a Mai Tai in Maui, then the previous statements don't really apply.

Just my 2 cents.

8. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Hope Alexander: I agree with what you say.

My thing wasn't so much displeasure at people disagreeing with what I have to say, but that I got two thumbs down, at the same time, and I have no idea why.

It could be because they disagree with me.  Or because they think my nose looks weird.  Or because they want to sabotage me.

I guess I just don't know how to interpret thumbs.  So, I think I just won't let it affect me--other than being happy that someone is at least taking the time to rate my work.

1. Hope Alexander profile image71
      Hope Alexanderposted 16 years agoin reply to this

LOL I get that feeling too, but I'm pretty sure it's hub related paranoia kicking in... either that, or they are really out to get me *dives back into my bunker*

9. profile image0
    Lisa Bargerposted 16 years ago

I totally (does anyone say "totally" anymore?) get what you're saying, Stacie.  A full 30% of my catalog (not here--on my main site) is debunking work and you haven't SEEN criticism until you start stepping on someone's bottom line.  wink   

It's not the criticism that bothers you--it's the fact that someone went out of his or her way to be cruel/snide/whatever.  It just seems that some people enjoy being the rebel without a cause.

10. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

I *totally* totally all the time.

11. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 16 years ago

Heh. I'm with the paranoid crew. I swear there's someone who just waits for me to publish a hub so he or she can give me a thumbs down.

12. Guru-C profile image77
    Guru-Cposted 16 years ago

Hello Stacie:

All of the above.  It takes all kinds.  Your hubs are wonderful.

I can understand the thumbs down I got about a slightly wierd meditation story.  And certainly I can understand one thumbs down on a hub about the Palestine/Israel peace initiatives... 

Someone actually gave me a thumbs down on one the cutest pet pictures I've ever seen. Perhaps it was because Fuchu had clawed his way into a (plastic) bag of laundry.  But it had just happened, and my husband snapped the photo before plunking him out lovingly.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Fuchu_Feeling_C

Regards,
    Cory

13. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Yeah, I got a thumbs down on my Sweet Potato & Corn Chowder recipe.  Maybe he or she is allergic?!?  I don't know...

I would understand if it was something more controversial!

14. Lincoln Armstrong profile image59
    Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years ago

I used to think the same thing, until I went to an Anti-Corn Chowder convention.  You should have seen the fundraising!   People were shoving money into these hats with anti-corn logos on them and they demolished a scarecrow that was full of "Down with Corn" buttons like a pinata.

Some guy wanted tortillas with dinner and it took 35 minutes to restore order.  Frightening.   I was going to stay for the speech until I saw I had a coupon for microwave popcorn in my pocket.  I escaped from the auditorium by hiding behind a cleaning cart as it rolled towards the back exit.   big_smile

15. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Lincoln, don't tell anyone, but I love you.  Way too many gales of laughter coming out of my cubicle--they'll track me down soon.

16. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 16 years ago

I'm surprised, to a degree, when I have a thumbs down, but I don't let it worry me.

One hub I discuss an MLM and I expected a few thumbs down, because it's not a positive review.

On the other hand the stuff I wrote about Hubpages, which is glowing mind you, got some thumbs down too. Maybe it was splash damage (whoever didn't like the aforementioned hub also took a shot at my highest ranking hub at the time). Or maybe it was sour grapes (someone thought my writing was far superior than their own big_smile).

Either way, I hope that thumbs down doesn't affect a persons Hubscore too adversely. As I think that a well expressed and witty opinion published as a Hub would be a good read and of course it would attract backlash. But still deserves a voice.

17. Lincoln Armstrong profile image59
    Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years ago

big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)