Why can't they make hearing-aid batteries last longer and a lot cheaper?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Why can't they make hearing-aid batteries last longer and a lot cheaper?

It really disturbs me to know that those who are on a limited income and they really can't afford to keep batteries in their hearing aids because the hearing aid batteries only last usually two days!  A woman who I used to work with was hearing impaired and she just couldn't afford to keep buying batteries for her hearing aids!  It is just a sad reality that those who need them can't afford to keep buying hearing aids.  Today's technology should be able to make batteries, especially hearing aid batteries, that last a long time.  There is no excuse in my mind.  What do you think?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12919608_f260.jpg

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years ago

That is bad because batteries really are so expensive to keep and after buying up so many rechargeable batteries I found some that last for years without a charge; but I do not know if those come in the size one would need for hearing aids. Energizers is what I buy and there is at least A and AA and some lasting more years than others and made from recycled batteries! I will pay more attention next time I am shopping!
    I do know that anyone covered by VA can get all their batteries free! For Hearing Aids that is.

Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that is just so wrong and greedy when you know they can makes batteries that last. My husband has a hearing loss and his batteries run out every other day. We are blessed as he does get his from the V A due to his military service.

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Every other day? Wow he must be tuned up pretty good! I would not whisper about him if I were you. lol Just kidding!!! My husband could use some I know but the less he hears the better I think. lol

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Lol, that's so bad ... I still think most of my husband's is selective hearing ...that husband selective hearing!

3. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 8 years ago

Hi Faith,
    I was raised by my grandparents, but they never wore hearing aids.  So I have not been exposed to them a lot.
    However, a good family friend wears one and my close friend's husband does too.
    I really do not know how much good they do, because I know my friend still shouts at her husband.
    That being said, if they do not work properly, that's bad enough, but to have to change the batteries so often is highway robbery, in my opinion!
    I totally agree with you that with today's technology, they should be able to make batteries that last a long time.
    We just bought a new hot water heater, and the man who delivered it says they program them ON PURPOSE to wear out every seven years so that we have to buy new ones.  I think this is the case with many appliances these days.
    My husband laughs at me because I complain all the time about everything being made of cheap plastic, instead of sturdy metal.  But there is a lot to be said for that, in my opinion.
    Good question, but I think it is all about money and greed.
    Blessings, Sparklea smile

Yes, Sparklea, I think greed is at the heart of all of this, which is sad. You're so right about everything being made to break in a couple of years so you have no choice but to buy new!  It should be a crime.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I still shout at my husband because he couldn't hear with his hearing aids unless he was looking straight at my lips. He got so frustrated one day that he flushed his VA hearing aids down the toilet. I can't tell any difference in his hearing.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

Oh, dear, MizB, yes, it seems mine can't hear at certain times with the hearing aids ...so I'm wondering if most of it may be that husband selective hearing LOL?

4. Jim Davin profile image61
    Jim Davinposted 8 years ago

I would think that self -interest plays a part here.
    I think the industry that sells the batteries wants to
    stay profitable so the advance of batteries to last
    longer is halted to protect their bottom line.
    thanks for putting this up.

Yes, James, I do think that is the bottom line here ...greed. Maybe churches and nonprofits can buy them in bulk and give them away to those who really need them. Thank you for answering.

5. B. Leekley profile image87
    B. Leekleyposted 8 years ago

My wife has been hearing impaired since birth. Currently for her hearing aids she uses the battery brand PowerOne. Those are made in Germany. See:
    http://www.powerone-batteries.com/en/
    She got a box of them for Christmas. A local hearing center sells them, and a number of online vendors sell them.

My wife says that how long a battery lasts depends on the hearing aid. In her hearing aid, a battery lasts 10 days; for her mother,  a battery lasts 3 days.

In a pinch, such as if she runs out of batteries on a road trip, my wife will buy Energizer hearing aid batteries at Walgreens, especially if they are on 2 for 1 sale.

For another possibility, Google on solar-powered hearing aids.

Wow, Brian, Thank you for sharing all of the great information here! The only thing else I can come up with is for churches and non-profit organizations to purchase them in bulk and give then away to those who really need them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)