Why do Christians want to give proof of what is said in the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

Why do Christians want to give proof of what is said in the Bible?

The Bible exists. There is proof of that that is undeniable. As there are millions of Bibles. And the Bible is proof of certain things. Like that it was written. I am a Christian. I do not base my faith on proof. Why do Christians want to prove what is in the Bible? I have my own opinion but I want to hear other people's opinion.

2. lawrence01 profile image64
    lawrence01posted 8 years ago

Eric
    The Bible may exist, but it's often called into question, and the things we believe as Christians are often questioned sometimes by other believers.
    To me this isn't wrong, it's just the way things are! A lot of believers really want the faith thats talked about in the New Testament but how can they know what that was? especially when there are so many other groups all making the same claim!
    I think that's a big reason for why we so often and so quickly turn to the Bible AND our way of reading it!
    I've got to admit some of the discussions can be stimulating (creation or evolution, local or global Flood etc) and can show the Bible to be historically accurate but are they essential? Not really! (Yet many pastors tell their flocks they're vital!)
    But that's my view
    Blessings
    Lawrence

1. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

WRONG VIEW!  There is ONE WAY (Eph 4:4-6) ONE GOSPEL OF CHRIST (Gal 1:6-9) ONE SPIRIT (I Cor 12) ONE BAPTISM (ACts 2:38) ONE WAY to be SAVED (Heb 6:1-3) ONE UNITY (Eph 4:13)!STUDY for TRUTH!"How can they know what that (Faith) was?" (Acts 1:4) HS!

3. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

"Why do Christians want to prove what is in the Bible?"  Because IF one BELIEVES the WORD OF GOD, one believes ALL of what HE has said!  I've given you this Scripture before (I wonder if you are "studying" or just remaining "complacent" in what "you believe" or as you've stated, "I have my OWN opinion..." when Scripture tells you in Proverbs 3:5 to NOT "lean to your own understanding."  Apparently you NEVER read Scriptures given you and remain complacent and/or "ignorant" (Galatians 3:1)!  How can you  "change from glory to glory" (II Corinthians 3:18) with that attitude!!!  GOD is a "progressive GOD" (Ephesians 3:18; READ IT!) Who "continuously" changes us (via the Holy Spirit) into HIS likeness!     

Christians MUST prove what is in Bible for GOD told us to!  II Timothy 3:15 tells us (Read this time!) "ALL Scripture is given by the inspiration of GOD, and is PROFITABLE for DOCTRINE (there's only ONE; Hebrews 6:1-3; The Doctrine (Gospel) of Christ; Galatians 1:6-9; READ!), for REPROOF (HERE is your ANSWER, We were "commanded" to PROVE with HIS WORD), for CORRECTION (We MUST use HIS WORD "ONLY" to CORRECT), for INSTRUCTION IN RIGHTEOUSNESS (We were commanded to "teach" (Matthew 28:19) or we are not "truly" Christians!

At least you said "...you want to hear other people's opinion," but do you study or "Search the Scriptures to see if these things are so" (Acts 17:11) or just remain complacent in your "opinions" or beliefs?  You should study (II Timothy 2:15) because your never know, one of them could be chosen by GOD!

I have asked unbelievers to "Provide a book with as many "accurate" fulfilled prophecies, but as of this date, no one has! 

You said "...the Bible is proof of certain things" to which I disagree.  The Bible is proof of ALL things!  II Peter 1:3 says, "According as his divine power hath given unto us "ALL THINGS"  that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue."  (READ IT!) 

Do you now see why we MUST provide "proof" that IT IS WRITTEN?  We have been commanded to do so!!!  For {paraphrasing} "GOD is not man that He should LIE..." (Numbers 23:19; READ IT)!!!

When I comment on HP, it is GOD talking for I "parrot" (as Hubbers call it) HIS WORD! 

TAKE HEED!

4. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

I am glad you have faith, but it is wrong to assume that others, like myself, base all of their faith on proof. That would be an oxymoron.

I find publications that are written by scholars, for the layperson, to be very interesting---in fact, absolutely fascinating. Biblical studies are simply something I enjoy reading about. Sometimes I provide some of the historicity behind the ancient manuscripts, which comprise the Bible, because I believe it is useful to share such things with others for the pure sake of knowledge itself. As my favorite author, Craig A. Stevens says, (and I paraphrase)  "It is good to question and to learn." I agree with him.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3hiIZoyCQ

Again, it is best not to make quick assumptions, that may not be accurate, regarding ancient manuscripts or people.

1. profile image52

And is exactly why we can't heal the sick, raise the dead, walk on water, etc as Jesus said we would do (Jn 14:12) due to unbelief! The SAME SPIRIT Jesus has, we possess, but allow to lie dormant saying just good reading!
      Provide book!

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Norine can you do all those things?

3. profile image52

I can do NOTHING!  It is the POWER OF GOD that works through me allowing heal the sick, pray for the anointing of another & they receive the GIFT of the Holy Spirit. My daily prayer is LORD increase my faith & I KNOW He doesn't start & no

4. Ericdierker profile image46

Norine with the power have you done one miracle?

5. profile image52

EVERYDAY! It's a "miracle" speaking to u! For GOD sees your HEART! I know u Eric (drinking)!! I did too! But GOD looks @ the HEART! SATAN can't stop u! GOD is a HEART GOD!
      Romans 8:1 (READ IT!) "IN CHRIST JESUS!"

5. Carb Diva profile image96
    Carb Divaposted 8 years ago

Eric, I think the quest is not from lack of faith, but rather because they want to be able to "prove" their belief to others. There are so many doubters, so many who look at science and say that what the Bible proclaims does not/cannot make sense.

This was an issue for my husband and myself for many years. I am and have always been a Christian. However, my husband was an agnostic--he didn't say that there was no God, but he felt he needed proof. He was a scientist, specifically a geologist, and as you know they view the world in which we live in millions of years. Certainly not Biblical.

However, once we had children, he recognized that he didn't want our girls to wonder "why doesn't Daddy go to church with us?" And, so he began to attend with us. As a scientist, he was "listening and gathering information."

To say that I prayed about this is a vast understatement. It took 20 YEARS, but eventually he GOT it. The Holy Spirit touched his soul and heart and he knew that this message was for him. He was baptized, became a member and is even now an officer of the church.

Eric, there is a passage in the Bible that I look to often when trying to reconcile what science tells us vs. what is written in Scripture. I'm paraphrasing--a thousands years is like a day to the Lord, and a day like a thousand years.

1. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful answer and well-spoken. Thank you for that, Carb Diva.

2. Ericdierker profile image46

Growing up around the Grand Canyon and seeing billion year old rocks we developed a saying. "God can make a rock as old as He wants to". What folly we embark on to disprove things. My wife was Buddhist and converted due to a moment.

3. profile image52

Heb 11:6 "But w/o FAITH it is IMPOSSIBLE to please HIM; for he that cometh to God MUST BELIEVE that HE is, & that HE is a REWARDER of them that DILIGENTLY seek HIM!"
      Yes, "PROVE" w/HIS WORD,then NOT I, BUT HE!
      IF u don't BELIEVE, talk to HIM!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)