What is a "normal" Christian?? Is there such a thing??

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. celafoe profile image55
    celafoeposted 7 years ago

What is a "normal" Christian??   Is there such a thing??

This question is here because of another question referencing "normal" Christian.   I have waited and as yet no-one has asked it so I am asking is there such a thing?   where does scripture address it?

2. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

Romans 12:1-2, Let us not be conformed to this world.
    A normal Christian is more an adverb than an adjective. Average Christians follow the group. Normal Christians live as best they can as Jesus would. We would say imitates Christ: Ephesians 5:1 "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children. 2 Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us[a] and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God."

In the world we would think of normal as being like everyone else. In His Kingdom we would think of normal as being like Christ. "Live a life filled with love". This certainly would be including rebuking your buddy if he acts outside of love. This certainly would mean not following blindly and not trying to be followed. A sharing of thought and belief.
    Mindful of 2 Cor. 5:17 A normal Christian is one born anew.

So we ask ourselves if we want to be average or normal. And normal to a Christian is in Christ. We must dig deep and study and study and study. We must heartily engage with other Christians as an Ekklesia.
    Here is the hard part. How can we be normal Christians to the world and normal Christians in Christ? It is impossible naturally.

But the good news is that acting in love with brethren works. Mark 10:27. We are told to act in Love as Jesus did. Love is not giving candy to a child who should not have it. Love is Brutal honesty.

So us poor Christians wanting to be normal we cannot follow man. If we are in Christ than normal is being in Christ and that don't fit well with others in a normal sense. You can sing, dance and pray with others but you can only follow Christ.
    Personally I am a solitary guy. I can be social but would rather just hang out with God. So I have to push myself to be normal and love others and spread the love. Matt. 5: 14-16. Humility to God and love to thy neighbor. Matt 22:36-40.
    So when my good Christian wife says "act normal" she does not want me to conform but rather to act like Christ.

celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

i knew you would jump on this. you do have some words right but what you espouse as love is not of Christ but of man. love is NOT acceptance love is standing on the word welcome or not.   amazing you can say it but not followand do  what you say

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point. When I speak of love it is an indwelling possession of me. Not of me. Absolutely true. It is within from without. Love that I create is emotion. Love that the Spirit creates in me is different.

3. profile image53
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Eric: U use words "extravagantly" to gain "man's" acceptance ("Ekklesia" (Charlie), "Brutal honesty" (me)!  Who do u think you're fooling? GOD? When will u GROW UP?  GOD HATES a LIAR! HE "sees" your "heart!" You'd rather pls "man" than "GOD!"
      SAD

3. dashingscorpio profile image82
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13033724_f260.jpg

Probably not.
    This most likely explains why there are so many different Christian denominations because they're not in agreement with (one) ideology that Christians should follow. There are different versions of the bible.
    Supposedly there are 33000+ total "Christian" denominations in the worldwide. We also have various churches that are non-denominational whose members consider themselves to be Christians too. Who is to say what is "normal" Christian lifestyle?

there is NO SUCH thing, the divisions of Christianity,those are the false churches of apostate men that did/do not understand scripture when it clearly says NO DIVISIONS  in the Body of Christ.  ALL must be one accord to be of Christ or it is anethma

2. dashingscorpio profile image82
      dashingscorpioposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Charlie, You're proving my point!
      Each church believes (theirs) is "the way"!
      Everyone else is "wrong" or "false".
      Maybe Christians might be better off dropping the concept of church and deal directly with God as individuals.

3. celafoe profile image55

DS- exactly what Christs plan is,   its what scripture says and I have preached it for many years.   but those with itching ears want to be scratched, not corrected.   cant upset their  ideas with truth, my goodness no

4. profile image53
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

DS: JESUS (WORD) says "what a "normal" Christian is! Who cares? ONE Bible, ONE SPIRIT Who "tells us" ("leads & guides) what to do! 
      HE said "WAIT" for HELP! Who cares? Why there r "33000+!" MOST didn't "WAIT" & PROBLEM!
      ONE SPIRIT W/ONE MIN

4. profile image53
    Norine Williamsposted 7 years ago

GOD'S WAYS are not as "man's" ways (Isaiah 55:8-9); therefore, what man perceives as "normal" (man-made traditions) Christians, is not GOD'S definition! 

Are we not "followers of Christ" (I Corinthians 11:1)?  IT IS WRITTEN!  But who cares? 

Who takes the time to "STUDY" what GOD expects of a "normal" Christian "in HIS Sight?"  MOST go to church (a building) once or twice a week, listen to the preacher ("Most" unlearned liars), continue following "tradition," go to school and seminars who teach "twisted" doctrine and say "I know I have Jesus or the Holy Spirit for we have a "personal relationship!"  Did Scripture not tell us to "STUDY" for ourselves" (II Timothy 2:15)?  But who cares?

In order to be a "normal" Christian (in the Sight of GOD) we MUST do as WRITTEN in "chronological order" which is to live under the New Covenant or AFTER THE CROSS (Book of Acts)! 

JESUS DIED for the New Covenant which provided the shedding of His Blood for the remission of our sins, to send HELP (Holy Spirit) so that we would be "WITH ONE ACCORD" (Check how many x's this is said in Acts!) and not with "different accords" and/or interpretations creating 33000+ denominations!  But who cares?

HE asked us to "WAIT" (Acts 1:4) for HELP!  But who cares?  Until one does this, he IS NOT a "normal" Christian in the Sight of GOD!  How else do you think you can be "WITH ONE ACCORD" and acquire the "mind of Christ" (Philippians 2:5-11)?   

IF you have "WAITED," the Gospel of Christ will be perceived as "abnormal" to the world!  It will not display "secular religion," "love" as defined by the world, the "teachings" by pastors, seminars and schools but what IS WRITTEN in the WORD of GOD!

When JESUS came, HE was called a "Blasphemer" (John 10:30-33), "ate and drink with sinners" (Mark 2:16), etc.  In other words, HE did things that did not "appear" righteous (under the Law) unto man. 

A "normal" Christian "follows Christ" and is acceptable in the Sight of GOD but actions "appear" "abnormal" in the sight of men!

JESUS warned HIS Followers (Disciples) what would happen when we followed HIM in John 15:18 which says "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you."  Therefore, I want to thank all of you Hubbers who don't want to hear TRUTH ("hate"), because you "confirm" that I follow Christ! 

Isaiah 5:20-21 says "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil..."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)