Do You Celebrate halloween?

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (70 posts)
  1. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 14 years ago

I don't but was just wonderin how many people do

1. profile image0
      Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't really "celebrate" it but of course I notice everyone's decorations and all the Halloween crap in the stores. Over the past few years I've noticed such a huge drop off in kids going door to door. Last year we had ZERO trick-or-treaters. How wild is that? I guess they all have parties at school now.

2. profile image50
      BadCoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope I open my door and tell those pesky kids to bugger off !

1. thranax profile image72
        thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats nice.

~thranax~

3. carolegalassi profile image60
      carolegalassiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My husband and I have not. We are Christians and the holiday is not Bibical, as a matter of fact there is some evilness about it.

4. carolegalassi profile image60
      carolegalassiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My husband and I have not. We are Christians and the holiday is not Bibical, as a matter of fact there is some evilness about it.

5. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope. There's more to Halloween than meets the eye, but a lot of people seem not to be aware of it.

It's a spiritual issue which I really don't want to get into but at least I've answered the question. smile

6. bipolar girl profile image58
      bipolar girlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah we normally decorate the house in halloween decorations and lights. Dressing ma wee girl up for the first time this year shes only 3 awww.

7. mandybeau1 profile image61
      mandybeau1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally, No, but I think it is seen out here as kinda creepy little kids going out at Night, hitting on strangers.
      Just starting to get big, with all the severed Heads and stuff in the shops, My friend just showed be a Babydoll Vampire for Sale in the shop where she works. It was gross and wasn't cheap either. Interesting that in a recesssion people love to spend on Dress up occassions.

2. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 14 years ago

My daughters dress up for Halloween each year and we go to our local mall and go trick or treating but that is about it.

3. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

My two youngest boys dress up and I take them to the mall and to a few family houses for pictures but that's really our only celebration.

4. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

My family usually gets quite involved in Halloween festivities. We dress the kids up, attend Halloween concerts, dress up ourselves, volunteer at the kids' school and the zoo, visit children in foster care, take our own kids door-to-door (weather permitting) trick-or-treating, attend and usually win some costume contests, and follow that up the next day with All Saints' Day Mass.

5. starme77 profile image77

I was always scared to take my children to strangers houses with all the weirdos out there poison candy etc....

6. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I always have a costume. I go with my friends and their kids trick or treating and then go to a party. I'm invited to three this year... but I'm going to a football game instead smile

7. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Celebrate Halloween?  I'm a Halloween celeratin' fool.  We're very into it, kids love it, we love it.  Especially pumpkin carving and toasting pumpkin seeds.  We have so much fun on carving nights.  I can't wait!  smile

8. ScarletRyan1970 profile image59
    ScarletRyan1970posted 14 years ago

Yes everyday when i go to work.

9. Cheri Schultz profile image57
    Cheri Schultzposted 14 years ago

Absolutely... It is a tradition at my house.  My two nephews come to my house and their costumes are always homemade by my brother in law who is very creative with the costumes.  We have a pizza party with halloween treats and we all dress up with costumes and go trick or treating

10. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

I celebrate the pagan version of Halloween since I discovered my current path  and since my son is past the trick or treating stage. I'm lucky my husband supports me. And a friend of mine ususally has a annual party.

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

wif gusto! I'll be the streak this year.

12. qbanmamiof2 profile image60
    qbanmamiof2posted 14 years ago

This year will be the first Holloween that I participate since I was 10. It'll be fun to have my son dress up, but I think we might just go to the Mall "safer candy" than going around the neighborhood.

I don't live in rough neighborhood but you just never really know you're neighbors.

13. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Nope.

14. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

I celebrate Halloween.  It's fun to see all the children in their costumes. Well, fun until you get some 18 year old trying to collect candy.  That's where I draw the line.  Check out my Kids Halloween Costume Ideas Hub.

15. ScottJStone profile image59
    ScottJStoneposted 14 years ago

Well I've recently moved from the UK to Canada and my kids already have their costumes (3 and 6 year old).  In the UK it was usually a day for yob kids to run around and terrorize the elderly or throw eggs at peoples houses.  At least here in Canada it is much more family orientated and not just an excuse for kids to wreak havoc! Very much looking forward to seeing a true Halloween!

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just stay away from Detroit. ooo boy!

16. RedSonja94 profile image60
    RedSonja94posted 14 years ago

A true Halloween is supposed to be fun for everyone.  I try to make the whole day fun for my boys.

17. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

This will be the first Halloween that I will completely NOT celebrate -- and happily! For the past gazillion years, I used to get 500 to 800+ kids at my house on Halloween night trick-or-treating. Not only was I exhausted, but I was broke and the dogs always had a complete nervous breakdown!

So....now that I've moved, I'm shutting off the lights, opening a bottle of wine, settling in with a good book and enjoying the quiet! smile

1. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, watch out for the toilet paper.  They know you're in there.  At least put a bowl out front that says "take one."  That way the kids think you left.

18. profile image0

I'm coming to yer house and peck on yer window fer candy.

1. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now don't you go peckin on my window, matey! I'll sick my dog on ya -- all 8 lbs of her! smile

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love weenie dogs. roasted over fire. LOL got any S'mores to with her?

19. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Yes, I love Halloween!
    http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa304/thranax/AnimeGs/HalloweenRenderV3.png

~thranax~

20. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I celebrate Samhain, but not secular Halloween.  They are the same day but rather different in intent.

1. Gemsong profile image62
      Gemsongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here. So many traditions some times it's hard for a solitary to know which to do.

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blessed Samhain Relache... and merry meet

21. Luciendasky profile image60
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

I will this year. There is a huge party at my house.

1. profile image50
      BadCoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where is my invite ??

22. forlan profile image61
    forlanposted 14 years ago

no and i will not

23. karmen88 profile image60
    karmen88posted 14 years ago

Not anymore I don't. I use to get excited to go trick or treating but that excitement faded away.

24. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Nope. Halloween here is our all soul's day. We go to the cemetery to remember our dead loved ones.

25. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Oh, yes I do! Heck, I am even going to Salem for Halloween. All I need is to be turned into a vampire, and my holiday will be perfect.

Granted, I love it also for its fun, its theme of spookiness, and all the little costume clad kids. smile

26. Beth100 profile image71
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I wouldn't consider it "celebrating", but definitely participate in the dressing up for the kids.  Don't agree with trick or treating though....  we host a party instead

1. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub on what I used to do with my kids cause I wasn't in to the whole thing either - it turned out though to be awesome - take a look at my halloween hubb you may like it - not trying to draw up traffic just like to share this one

27. starme77 profile image77

I want some candy too sad

28. arrrgonaut profile image62
    arrrgonautposted 14 years ago

Always, always, always.  Even if it just means putting on a tiara and passing out drunk in front of the TV with a half eaten bag of candy corn.

I feel sorry for kids who don't get to at least go to a community event on Halloween.  A friend of mine was never allowed to celebrate as a kid, and he feels like he really missed out.

29. profile image0

Halloween is just as much fun for adults as for kids. Just as long as we all are safe and no mean stuff. I just love it!

30. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

We pass out candy and have fun with the kids!

31. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Yes, we do celebrate and take part in the fun event as well.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it is not our tradition to do so. smile

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No need for masks down there it's Halloween everyday!( I am so sorry I lost my mind there for a minute!)

No you're quite right! We have our prime minister in the USA at the moment, and the opposition is playing up like school children when the teacher is away! When he is here he screws em with facts! smile

32. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

A little, but it isn't really celebrating (as in "whoop-ti-do" and "guess what I'm supposed to be"  smile  ).  I give out candy and put a few cute/nice things out to make the walkway and front door area kind of nice for the Trick-or-Treaters.  I do up special little treat bags.  My daughter is usually around, getting a costume ready for a party (she's grown, so her friends have parties).

Then I'll put out a few treats for adults in the house and light, scented, cute-Pumpkin, candles "for atmosphere".  For some reason, having hot popcorn on the dining room table seems traditional; and I'll put little decorations and candy around the house - just enough in case anyone is there or comes in; but also, I don't want to ignore it just because my kids are grown.  I make it all about cute pumpkins and "non-ugly" decorations, though.  No skeletons and the like.  smile

That sounds like a lot of fun for the little ones. smile

33. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Ernest, it is fun - for me, a little too.  smile   When my sons were young I let them have their werewolf-type costumes; but other than that, I just decided to define the day to be what I want it to be - which is about little Trick or Treaters and a little atmosphere in the house.  (Harmless, nice, and nothing evil or religious about any of it.  smile  )

Sounds wonderful! Maybe we will add Halloween to our agenda too.
      The three little ones are definitely not happy that every day is not a birthday or celebration!
      "Granpa, is it my birthday yet?" .... three weeks after the last one! I guess three weeks is a long time when you're three or four! lol

1. profile image0
        Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aw...that's so cute smile

They are kids. All kids are cute. smile These are my grandchildren, so of course they are the worlds cutest! lol
          The twin four year old girls can be so funny, there mother has come in the room to see me doubled up in laughter! She is used to them being incredibly cute, I can't get over it!

34. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

yes.

last year a whole bunch of us got together and carved pumpkins. there were orange ones of all shapes and sizes, and some white ones. we played halloween music (Monster Mash, etc.) and the table looked like a scene from Saw...pumpkin guts everywhere. yikes

then all the kids put candles in them and lined them up on the porch, admiring them. it was great fun!

35. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

My daughters birthday is Halloween so it has never been a choice . .so my answer is OF COURSE... add to that I think I like candy better than most food@

36. dohn121 profile image80
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

I friend show me this video a while ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnY2SR4uOqk

Enjoy!

37. KevCC profile image72
    KevCCposted 14 years ago

Celebrate no, participate yes by having a store of treats for the kids who come knocking. and now we actually get pumpkins in the UK (we didn't when I was a kid) I always carve one to put in the window.

38. Princessa profile image82
    Princessaposted 14 years ago

I celebrate anything me!

39. Francis911 profile image60
    Francis911posted 14 years ago

Yes.

40. hinckles koma profile image61
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Yes, we take them on a farm to pick the pumpkins, that we decorate. My son will be the BEE he is 18mo and my Abby she wants to be the world this year. I told her she can be something else, where iam i going to buy  a world and where did she come up with this wonderful idea lol.   She is so funny at 6 years old.   Looking forward to October 31 to just enjoy and have fun.

41. profile image0

I have now decided I will have a jack-o-lantern painted on my naked butt as I streak and Groucho Marx on the front side. LOL

1. dohn121 profile image80
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...Weren't you that last year? lol

42. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 14 years ago

no

43. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 14 years ago

Aha!

44. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

My flatmates make a big deal out of zombie makeup and fake blood (usually with the addition of a video camera so that we get to watch the performance over and over again).

I'm more of a meditation and healing man myself so I mark many festival days by sending healing either to individuals or to some specific global situation.

45. Kathy T profile image61
    Kathy Tposted 14 years ago

My Halloween is a blend of Pagan and modern traditions. Kids dress in costumes, after trick a treat, we have our Pagan celebration and ritual. it’s my favorite holiday to decorate for besides Christmas/Yule

46. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 14 years ago

Celebrate Halloween - sure thing! I'm dressing up as the boy from that popular YouTube video who freaks out over his mother canceling his account to World of Warcraft! Next year, I'm off to Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, where I'll gather my friends and dress up as a Brazilian tour group!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)