Why do some people believe a person cannot be smart and beautiful at the same ti

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Alessio Ganci profile image96
    Alessio Ganciposted 7 years ago

Why do some people believe a person cannot be smart and beautiful at the same time?

It is a stereotype shared among all the society: many people believe there are two type of other ones:

- people smart but ugly (the "nerd" stereotype you can find in any movie and also in some parts of real life)

- the beautiful man/woman (who is shown as everything but smart)

My question is: why does this (stupid, in my opinion) stereotype is so common? How could have been so much successful?

I know many people who are smart and really cool physically, so I cannot realize why such a stereotype still exists!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13161350_f260.jpg

2. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8942153_f260.jpg

Many people have a limited, dichotomous, &/or either/or consciousness, mentality, mindset, outlook, philosophy, & psychology.  They believe & think in either/or, black/white, & never outside such dichotomies.  They also have an immature consciousness, mentality mindset, outlook, philosophy, & psychology.  They think along a certain purview & refuse to think outside that purview.

Many people furthermore have an exclusive purview when it comes to viewing life.  One must be one component or another.  One can't contain two components or more.  This belief goes back to the limited thinking that so many people have because they are comfortable w/such thinking & if they begin to think inclusively in terms of characteristics & components, they would become uncomfortable, even threatened.

Many in our culture, civilization, & society have rigid, dichotomous, & extreme limiting, even childish stereotypes when it comes to beauty & intelligence.  It is a very strong contention that one can't possibly be beautiful & smart which is fallacious, even illogical thinking.  There are many beautiful people who are intelligent, smart, & even geniuses while there are ugly people who are of very average, even mediocre intelligence.

Let me add in our culture, civilization, & society, beauty & intelligence are red light signals.  Beauty & intelligence are seen as threats to many people.  Many are either overtly or covertly envious of the beautiful &/or intelligent so they are comfortable when a beautiful person is dumb or an ugly person is intelligent because such components satisfy their supposed lack whether in the looks or intelligence/smarts department.  Now, when a person has a combination of beauty & intelligence, such unsettles many people's sense of being.  They really feel inadequate, even inferior when compared to such people.

Alessio Ganciposted 7 years agoin reply to this

This is a good observation, finding a smart and beauty person may lead to feeling inferior than him/her. In this case, feeding up a stereotype such as "beautiful OR smart" means trying to autoconvince something doesnt exist only because of fear.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why, THANK YOU.

3. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Because of the stereotype that smart nerds are ugly, awkward. Even if the girl is portrayed as cute, they give her a handicap like clumsiness or glasses.

Yes, in fact is the stereotype which should be analyzed in order to know why it is so popular. I know some people who are really smart, but also go out on Saturday nights and care about their look. I know some nerds follow the stereotype, but not all

4. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 7 years ago

I'll never forget my junior year in college when a course called, "The Exceptional Child," was part of our curriculum.  Of course, "exception" ran the spectrum to studying the child with developmental difficulties all the way to the gifted child (the latter, an area of study that had previously been ignored). The chapter on the gifted child and the professor's lecture was fascinating. "Back in the day" the stereotype of the gifted child was that this child was most likely very inept at sports and other such activities.  The statistic that I remember from that class is that when you are gifted, often you are gifted across the board.  Thus the child who is consistently stellar on the football field or volleyball court is also gifted in the classroom. 
    My favorite, favorite, favorite show, "The Big Bang Theory," of course,  plays out your example loud and clear in the character of Penny, and on the flipside with the guys. J)ohnny Galecki and Simon Helberg are certainly no Ryan Goslings although Simon Helberg does have amazing eyes.)
    It's been my observation, having been always attracted to really smart men in my youth, that the stereotype is definitely wrong.  Initially I had been attracted to these men because of their looks or how they moved, only LATER to find out that they were really, really smart - one a nuclear engineer, 2 electronic engineers, and 1 a software programmer. 
    Of course the use of the term "ugly" is never appropriate, and it's important to realize that standards for physical beauty are cultural and change with the time.  Many women and men who are in the movies now and considered "beautiful people" would NEVER be considered in the 20s when beauty meant symmetry of the face, high cheek bones, and other criteria.  And lips plumped up with Botox?  People would have thought that a sad condition that one had to endure.
    No matter what, it is clear that beauty emanates from the inside.  Whether intelligent or not, a person is perceived as beautiful if they are truly centered, and if they are genuinely unselfish, thinking more of the person they are talking to than of themselves.  A person is perceived as intelligent if their grammar and vocabulary are correct, if they are well-read, and if they make logical arguments.  Intelligence is also a nebulous concept and has a huge number of facets as Guillford's Cube of Intelligence indicates.
    So, all in all,only one thing is clear - no one likes to be thown in the box labled "stereotype."

I know "The Big Bang Theory" TV series, and that is a good example! I also think "ugly" and "beauty" are personal views,even if also society puts some "aesthetic canons" shared by many people!

Stereotypes are always a bad thing for me

5. dashingscorpio profile image81
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13214769_f260.jpg

Jealousy and envy causes people to seek out the negative about others who appear to have obvious advantages in life.
    "Good looking people are shallow, stupid or lack commonsense"
    "Rich people don't have (real love) in their lives."
    "Successful people are a-holes who take advantage of others."
    "If it sounds too good to be true it probably isn't."
    "Be careful what you ask for because you just might get it."
    In other words every "advantage" has a (hidden disadvantage).
    If that's not the case than "life isn't fair" in their mind.
    Many people tell themselves such things in order to feel better about their own station in life. There's always the blue collar stiff who thinks he's smarter than the CEO and management team.
    It's also human nature to believe it's not possible to "have it all".
    Being good looking, rich, successful, kind, compassionate, and generous makes some folks try harder to find "something wrong".
    A lot of people need to feel they are "better" at something than everyone. He/she may have that but (I) have this!

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

EXCELLENT OBSERVATION INDEED!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)