Do you still purchase bars of soap for your household?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 7 years ago

Do you still purchase bars of soap for your household?

Recently it was reported the (bar of soap) may become a thing of the past. For many generations in the U.S. (families shared a bar of soap) for taking showers and washing hands in their households. Today it's reported that more people purchase (liquid hand soap and shower gel). Bar soap is on it's way to becoming like the Yellow Pages Directory or 8 Track tape for future generations. If this is true they'll never know what it's like to get in a shower and see a strand of hair on the bar from the previous user. smile Do you still buy bar soap? Why? or Why not?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13424091_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

I have a slices of bar soaps from Lush, but they're mostly for the smell, rather than for washing. I find bar soap to be too messy.

I use Dr. Bronner peppermint for soap, body wash, and shampoo.

dashingscorpioposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I imagine there are other folks who have miniature bars of soap for decorative baskets and scents as well.
      Thanks for your answer!

3. Terrielynn1 profile image83
    Terrielynn1posted 7 years ago

No, I use foaming soaps only. Body wash. All are chemical and gmo free. Nothing that isn't natural. With essential oils there is no need to even have bars for smell. Room spray is even homemade.

Maybe it's true (bar soap) will become a thing of the past!
      Thanks for your answer!

4. Leonard Tillerman profile image94
    Leonard Tillermanposted 7 years ago

I always use the bar.  Irish Spring to be exact.  I just personally find it does the best job and I am a creature of habit.

"Old School!" smile
      According to news reports you may soon want to stock up!
      Thanks for your answer!

2. Terrielynn1 profile image83
      Terrielynn1posted 7 years agoin reply to this

My grandson is allergic to that soap.

5. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12717615_f260.jpg

I purchase shower gels.  I find them less messy than soaps.  Soaps are becoming the relics of the past.  I also find that poor people use bar soaps because it is cheaper & less costly.

1. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Lol, Grace. No offense, but sometimes you're a real snob, with the whole "poor people" thing.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The average low income person CAN'T afford shower gels.  Shower gels are beyond the budget of many lower income people.  That is why they purchase soap- such is FAR CHEAPER.  That is a fact of life.  It's the middle class who purchase shower gels.

3. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You must not shop at Walmart. They have cheap shower gels. Low income people can buy them.

6. blessedp profile image80
    blessedpposted 7 years ago

Yes! I do. Although, shower gel and liquid hand soap are my favorite. I still buy bath soap for when I run out on shower gel.

7. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

I always wash my face with Dove soap every day, as soon as I get home from work, and weekends. However, I have to use Aveeno gel for the rest of my body. If I find out bar soap is going out of business, I'll have to buy a lifetime supply. I also use bar soap for washing my hands regularly. It works better than the bottled stuff, though it's s pain to clean up.
    Guess I'm Old School to the max! Pretty sure that doesn't surprise anyone. Ha!

8. GreenEyes1607 profile image88
    GreenEyes1607posted 7 years ago

I still purchase bars of soap for showers. I use the Olay Fresh Outlast Cooling White Strawberry and Mint beauty bar because it smells amazing. But I also use shower gel and I get liquid soap for handwashing.

9. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

I buy it all!  My bathroom cabinet and linen closets always have a good supply of bath/shower gels, herbal/mineral salts, bubble bath & bath oils & the bar soaps I order from a Health & Beauty Products Company, online.  My bar soaps are all natural ingredients, some herbal, medicated, moisturizing, vitamin & mineral enriched. 
    Large companies that manufacture bar soaps in enormous quantities for mass distribution may one day phase out, but a few will hang in there. There will always be a demand for bar soap.  Smaller companies that make the specialty & luxury soaps will continue (I hope!) 
    For those with the time and desire, soaps can be made at home with the ingredients of your choice!

10. Au fait profile image83
    Au faitposted 7 years ago

Still prefer bar soap in the shower.  Have tried the liquids and shower gels and they just don't hit the spot.

I do prefer liquid soaps/gels for hand washing.  I don't really like to use bar soaps after other people have used them, so the liquids/gels seem more sanitary.

Just purchased some bar soap the other day.  Was looking for a package of 6 or more bars and the biggest 'package' in stock was 3 bars.  Thought that was odd, because I've always bought packages of at least 6 bars previously, but maybe it's because bar soap isn't as popular as it used to be and it's phasing out.  I hope not.

So you feel it's more sanitary to use liquid soap for washing hands instead of bar soap after others have used it but it's okay to shower with a bar of soap after others use it? smile
      Thanks for your answer!

2. Au fait profile image83
      Au faitposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I live alone.  No one better be sneaking into my bathroom to shower when I'm not there -- and no one else showers when I am there either. wink)  Never make assumptions about anything.  They're usually wrong. smile

3. dashingscorpio profile image80

I too have lived alone in the past but that didn't mean I never had "overnight guest" from time to time!smile
      I also occasionally had family from out of town visit too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)