Can most Americans understand and define the differences among true information,

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years ago

Can most Americans understand and define the differences among true information, misinformation,

disinformation, information spin, and propaganda? In fact, what are they, and what do you see most in USA? [Photo by Anthony Easton via Flickr; CC by 2.0]

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13462555_f260.jpg

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago

Apparently not or Trump wouldn't have been elected. On the other hand Clinton did get more votes. The Internet has made it much easier for propagandists to spread their lies.

Patty Inglish, MSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with all that. As soon as I hear propaganda, I switch off the program or, in person, leave the venue. The truth seems a rare but refreshing commodity. Thanks for commenting, Ralph! Goof to see you.

3. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 7 years ago

This is really a great teaching time for young children. We are studying and working on adverbs and adjectives. We are seeing the difference between saying "dark blue" and "ugly blue". There is a difference and a seven year old just told me that one was a description and one was an opinion. (not ready to get heavy in that area yet but almost)
    Right now we are going to "drive our car to the bait and tackle shop". We are not driving our piece of crap old car to the stupid shop where they over charge you for fishing stuff. The seven year old sees the difference.
    And yet he also understands that his attitude toward something can frame his words and thoughts. OK - now we have tried cooked peas 3 times and he can tell me now that "he does not care for them" which absolutely does not mean that "peas taste like crap".
    I broached him on a word "collude". He immediately got that it was not a description but intended as a negative opinion.
    Yes this is right in line with what they are teaching 1st graders.
    So my seven year old can tell that what Ralph said was a negative opinion. My son just said as though he was doing a rorschach test - "I will not learn from that".
    So kids can cut through this -- adults choose not to and to let their fear base fight instinct take over.
    Good for talk show hosts on one hand and "news" programs on the other.
    I have blast on my elliptical at my gym, I get to watch Fox and CNN simultaneously and count adjectives. One is way ahead.

This is all enlightening! That seven-year-old is in a learning atmosphere. I wish we all were.

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We are living large here in learning central. Thanks for bringing learning to all of us Patty. Go Space Program!!

3. ptosis profile image67
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I wish I can vote yours as best answer

4. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 7 years ago

Hello, Patty. When I first saw the question I found it interesting while considered my ideas what they are. Looking for Hub ideas yesterday I decided why not practice writing an information article on information inspired by your questions. I did that only to discover the option as an answer is not functioning. But, I published it. I believe we cannot publish links to our Hubs. So, at my profile it is the 1st article in the highlighted articles.

I look forward to reading that Hub! Good show!
      Here's the link: hubpages DOT com/politics/Exploring-Information-We-Receive-Today

5. Ceegen profile image66
    Ceegenposted 7 years ago

What is truth? Can you hold it in your hands? Smell it? Taste it?

The problem is in defining what is true. It's a philosophical problem that has no clear answer, but what we do know about the world is that truth is based on authority.

Why? Because I said so.

Don't agree? Why not? Because you say so, or, because someone else says so?

And then you get into other philosophical problems regarding truth, at least as far back as the ancient Greek civilization:  The move "The Matrix" as an idea can be traced back to "Plato's cave".

So who do you trust? Who is your authority for what is true? And what constitutes proof for something that is true, if your proof is being manipulated, like in "The Matrix"?

Is the abyss staring back at us? Does a tree make a sound when it falls if no one is around to hear it? How do I know you're not all just well-written computer programs designed to interact with me, to keep me busy and away from the truth?

We say we know what the truth is, but the truth makes liars of us all in the end, because we can't even prove we exist to anyone else but ourselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)