Are plus-size women, dress sizes 16 thru 20, just as attractive as thin women? W

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (51 posts)
  1. savvydating profile image90
    savvydatingposted 6 years ago

Are plus-size women, dress sizes 16 thru 20, just as attractive as thin women? Why or why not?

The fashion world is becoming more accepting of women who are plus-sized. How do you view women who are not thin? Do you think curves are in or, not so much? If you are a man, would you date a plus-size woman? (The model below is probably a size 16-18.) If you are a curvy plus-size woman, how do you feel about it?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13533663_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image88
    lisavollrathposted 6 years ago

Why do we have to compare and rate women by their attractivness, which is such a subjective thing? Why are we sorting women by size, and ranking their datability by their packaging?

The fact is, plus-sized women exist. In the US, there are more women wearing sizes 14 and above than there are wearing the sizes below. And not every plus-sized woman who wears a 14 is the same. Some are curvy, and some are not. Some look petite or thin, and some do not. These things totally depend on height and bone structure---which are genetic attributes that cannot be changed.

Asking if men would date a woman based on the size dress she wears is sort of disgusting. Any man who is basing his dating preferences on a woman's size isn't worth that woman's time.

savvydatingposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Why indeed? All societies rate women's beauty---whether it offends you or not. No point in pretending otherwise. Many plus-size models are activists against body-shaming, which is a good thing. Furthermore, some men actually prefer plus-size women.

2. lisavollrath profile image88
      lisavollrathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but I was raised to believe that the size of my brain is more important than the size of my dress. Is a plus-sized woman "as attractive" as a thin woman? I don't know. What are their IQs?

3. savvydating profile image90

Most women say they believe as you do. Nevertheless, Americans tend to exalt the skinny woman over the chubby one. A politically correct person will agree with you, but they won't tell you the truth, that most people worry about body image.

4. lisavollrath profile image88

So how 'bout we stop posting questions about who is more attractive, perpetuating the impossible standard of beauty, and start focusing on brains and health instead?

5. savvydating profile image90

How about realizing that anorexic women and, in fact, most women, no matter how intelligent, are not comforted or helped by those who refuse to understand why body image issues exist? For once, open your eyes.

6. lisavollrath profile image88

Women have body issues in part because we continue to ask questions like "are plus sized woman as attractive as thin women". How 'bout not contributing to the problem, if you're so concerned about body image issues?

7. savvydating profile image90

Perhaps there is a better way to bring up the topic. Food for thought. Thanks for commenting, Lisa.

3. Terrielynn1 profile image86
    Terrielynn1posted 6 years ago

There are many plus size women in the world. I can wear anything from a 10-16 and I was told  that Iam a 14 plus. even designers can't decide what the okay size is. I know many women who are beautiful and it has nothing to do with outside. I am not sure who these people are that set these standards. I know more men that like and love curvy women then the ones who want a thin one. Even paris is changing ho walks thier runways. Women need to band together and not allow others to decide what is exceptable and whats not. If you are healthy and your size doesnt interfer with your life it shouldnt matter what your clothing size is.

Right. Also, I do not believe we have to ignore the subject, as if it doesn't matter. It does matter! Too many girls are convinced they're not good enough because of their weight, even though they are healthy. That's where having a discussion helps.

2. Terrielynn1 profile image86
      Terrielynn1posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes being able to discuss this issue is very important. I am looking into going into schools and discussing this very issue. On both sides of the issue. health class in elementary would have the most effect. I wish that had been done for my friends.

4. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

savvy... Hello!  The young Lady in the photo is lovely and her outfit is dynamite! Women of every shape and size can create a vision of style, confidence and attractiveness.  "Fashion" has come a long way for all women, whether petite, average, short, tall, large....It used to be difficult for women on either side of average....plus-sizes and also women built like little girls (straight up & down, as was said) to find the latest & most popular styles in their sizes.
    As for "dating," now you've asked me a question I don't really know if I can speak to. While most women like to believe we have a pretty good handle on how men think....they rarely cease to surprise us. Men have as varied tastes as we women do, I would suspect.  Sizes 16 to 20 includes a whole lot of normal everyday women, which depending on height, frame & muscle mass, doesn't really scream "plus-size."...or does it? 
    When I think of "curvy," I see Marilyn Monroe, Rosiland Russell, and many of the exquisite ladies of the "Classics."  I'd have to say "curvy" will always be in! 
    Finally, if I were a curvy, plus-size woman, I'm pretty sure I'd be fine with it and be as confident as I am as the average sized Grandmother I am.  Logically speaking, we don't have much choice over our genetics and family traits which come along with the color of our eyes & hair, freckles, dimples & all those other points we inherit!  We gotta work with what we got, Yves!!  LOL.
    I too would be so pleased to know our young girls can be normal, happy & healthy, accepting they are beautiful just as they are.   Peace, Paula

Lovely answer, Paula. The pretty girl in the pic is indeed stylish and beautiful. I believe the key is in not hiding under a potato sack, but in wearing clothing that is somewhat fitted,& which screams "more to love!"  Oh, Yeah!

5. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

Hi Savvy. The young woman in the photo is gorgeous, and I certainly think plus size women can be just as attractive as any other women.There is much more to beauty than just size alone.Beauty shouldn't be judged that way.

Bless you for saying so. The good news is, little by little, some change is occurring with regard to perceptions about weight. But it's an uphill battle. The woman in the picture is a beauty. I don't even see her as overweight. To me, she's curvy.

6. Brinafr3sh profile image78
    Brinafr3shposted 6 years ago

Any size woman from with curves are alright, as long as the woman has a small waist-line.

I don't believe that a small waist-line is needed to look attractive, although some men prefer tiny waists. (Ha! Good luck with that.) However, with good health, the waistline may have a decent ratio, even if the woman is a size 18 or so.

7. faith-hope-love profile image67
    faith-hope-loveposted 6 years ago

Savvydating. There is a proverb that states that beauty is is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion attractiveness does not depend on whether a woman is fat or thin. Attractiveness comes from within and shines forth in radiance, A person whose smile is radiant and does light up a room usually that smile bubbles from deep within that person and will negate the physical appearance. A really attractive person shows a happiness and joy that is infectious and, to say least infectious to all. Those people are a joy just to be near because they give off Hope and love to all. They regardless of their girth are very attractive to all that they come in contact with. I have met a good many very attractive women in my travels that do not conform to the advertising and Fashion worlds ideas of Beauty.  I have also met many models who to me were unattractive as they had the Thinness but no depth. They came across as being a little smug and empty. Jaded.  Something to think about.
    John W

Absolutely, John. I knew a young woman who was a business professional. She had the best personality! She was not a great beauty & she was a little chubby, but she always attracted handsome boyfriends. Why? They loved her "radiance" & her pos

8. createwithjenny profile image77
    createwithjennyposted 6 years ago

Yes I do think curves are in! I feel like more and more people are showing off their curves which in turn effects the fashion industry. I believe that role models such as Melissa McCarthy, Mindy Kaling and Christina Hendricks are reshaping what the fashion industry and society thinks of as stylish. In terms of attractiveness I believe that each person whether curvey or thin have their own ideal body issues, because of this I do no think one is more attractive than the other.

Jenny....Thank you for reminding us that well known names are actively fighting back against body shaming, AND, that even skinny women have the very same issues. Great observation!

9. Sarah Hodge profile image80
    Sarah Hodgeposted 6 years ago

I am a plus sized woman. size 16, to be exact. I definitely do not notice any men being repelled by my looks. Just saying...;-)

Love it. You're obviously a woman who knows how to "rock" her assets. Thank you!

10. keplersrealmkey profile image60
    keplersrealmkeyposted 6 years ago

I have met all sorts of beautiful women. Some people look better with a little junk in the trunk. I have seen taller women without meat on their bones...still beautiful, but a fuller face, volume, dimension. These things are very beautiful.

Yes they are, Mama Rae, and thank you for saying so.

11. whitesky23 profile image59
    whitesky23posted 6 years ago

what? I didn't understand your question. plus size? A WOMAN IS A WOMAN. Size doesn't define anybody anyhow. And if you think u r being judged because of your size it is in your head and you are the one starting to discriminate yourself from being lovable. We women are adorable creatures of this planet, we are the driving force of this world. Come on look up and shine bright like a diamond. wink I'm a lil plump myself and i just fairly and completely love myself. One just gotta feel comfortable in their own skin.

Hello Shweta. I think the important thing is to be healthy and to try to be active. That way, a woman can feel good about herself, regardless of carrying a few extra pounds. It's awesome that you "shine as bright as a diamond!"

2. profile image53
      TaiXposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I love your last sentence, I just fairly and completely love myself!

12. profile image0
    lindaspeaksposted 6 years ago

Yes, I think plus- size dresses 16-20 are just as attractive as small size dresses. Because plus -size women have beautiful curves to show off and they fit their dresses much better.

Linda....I wish more plus-size women would stop hiding their bodies and begin showing them instead. Tasteful fashions for plus size women do exist.
      When worn properly, they look gorgeous and curvy!

2. keplersrealmkey profile image60
      keplersrealmkeyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What irritates me is that affordable plus size outfits at places like some trending store that shall remain nameless, are either too plain or have loud patterns on them. I mean if I wanted to look like a cheetah, I would buy a pho fur coat, ya know?

I have seen some of the loud prints. I don't get it. Probably some thin designer decided these large prints were more PC. Wrong again!

4. profile image0
      lindaspeaksposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have 4 sisters that are plus 18-20 dress sizes and they are so proud and happy with way they look in their dresses. They even tell me, " don't I look cute? To be truthful about it they look better the I do in my 10-12 petite size dresses.

5. savvydating profile image90

Linda, I love it! Your sisters sound adorable!! Also, despite what one "hears," not all men run at the sight of extra weight. It's all in how a woman carries herself. Some men are truly quite open about such things.

13. Perspycacious profile image64
    Perspycaciousposted 6 years ago

Just as with "handsome":  beautiful is as beautiful does.

That's true, but if a woman can't get a date because she's plus size, it can be hard to keep repeating the mantra. But some good things are happening in the fashion industry to help women feel better about themselves.

14. Glenis Rix profile image95
    Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

Physical beauty is in the eye of the beholder but true beauty comes from character. Regarding size- perhaps the question should revolve around what is a healthy weight?

15. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

The entire premise of how women's clothing sizes are measured seems demeaning toward most of the women in the world.  Why call something size 14 or larger PLUS anyway?  What's is added to?  Why aren't we calling sizes below 4 MINUS sizes then?  Men's clothes aren't identified in the same way and I can't remember ever seeing the men's departments sectioned off like women's are.  Imagine the petite men's clothing section...

Women with curves are exceptionally beautiful; Goddess-like to be more precise.  When I see an overly-thin woman, the first though that comes to my mind is "that girl needs a sandwich...or two."

Ralph, I asked this question precisely because I wanted women to hear from men like you. "Goddess-like" is the best compliment a "curvy" woman, who is definitely not stick thin, can possibly hear. I LOVE that you decided to express your opinion.

16. Alexa Weber profile image69
    Alexa Weberposted 6 years ago

In my opinion, plus sized women are just as attractive as thin women in the physical sense. Beauty comes in all sizes, and there are physically unattractive thin females as well as "ugly" larger females, and that's just a fact. Nowadays, curves are more acceptable than in the early 2000s when the standard of beauty was a stick thin figure. Over time popular opinion changes but I believe we always need to be accepting of everyone. We all know that people are more than their appearance and it should not dictate one's whole life.

That is absolutely true. A woman can be attractive or unattractive whether she is thin or full-figured. I am glad that the standard has shifted, in part because of the popularity of plus size models.

17. Mohave profile image60
    Mohaveposted 6 years ago

In my opionion YES, and in some cases more so.

The big "YES" says it all!

18. profile image0
    RussellFryposted 6 years ago

Plus size doesn't mean "overweight." For me, overweight or obese is an unhealthy condition. On the other hand, a plus sized woman is one who puts curves in her shape. The girl in that photo is beautiful and not overweight or obese.

Hollywood has created this view of what men find as beautiful. Where they get off doing that, I have no idea. But it isn't realistic.

Russell, Women the world over will love your comment. Personally, I would love to see more curvy/plus size women in movies who represent reality. Thank you for your wonderful answer.

19. Byonder5 profile image61
    Byonder5posted 6 years ago

As a trans woman it is just fact that I can't even think about squeezing into a skirt smaller than 16. But tailored and with a pleat it looks nice.

Good answer. Tailored and fitted is the way to go, especially for full-figured body types.

2. Byonder5 profile image61
      Byonder5posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Yves so much. And I love to wear tailored and fitted styles. And thank you for catering for.er, me.

wink

4. Byonder5 profile image61
      Byonder5posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks ;o

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)