What is Love?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Susan Sears profile image89
    Susan Searsposted 6 years ago

What is Love?

I am sitting with my son who is struggling with a relationship and possibly going through a divorce, and he asks me a simple question…what is love? I mean we hear the songs playing “All you need is Love” or “Love me simply, Love me true,” along with millions of other love songs. It seems to be something we are all seeking; all desiring, something we hope to find. What is it though? Is it a feeling, is it an act? How can we know that we have most certainly found it if we do not know what it is?

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years ago

Love can be defined in many ways. In my opinion it means commitment and mutual respect and understanding.
    Expectations sometimes have to take a back seat.
    Both the partners must accept each other with their positives as well as negatives.
    Sometimes one has to ignore mistakes , at other  times forget and forgive.
    Love demands lot of sacrifices from both partners to make the relationship deeper.
    Love means more giving than taking.

Susan Searsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Chitrangada,
      If that is the definition? What if that has been violated - one did not accept the others positives as well as the negatives.  What if one always gives and the other does not...or mistakes were made. What is love then?

2. ChitrangadaSharan profile image89
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I can completely relate to what you mean.Yes the commitment should be reciprocal. And one should know where to draw the line. Self respect should not be sacrificed. Even after trying hard, if one is not able to save it, then it's wise to part ways.

3. Ericdierker profile image44
    Ericdierkerposted 6 years ago

I reckon, though I have not counted, that I written over 100 hubs that in some way deal with love. I wonder if 30,000 views or so would suggest I kind of understand a smidgen, then again maybe not.
    People love to talk about different loves. Different types. One 100 words in Latin, Greek and English and ad in the romantic languages, Italian and Castillon Spanish being my faves but Vietnamese, Japanese and French are right up there. Then add in the easy differences with Muslim, Christian, Shinto and Buddhist.
    Love is a choice. No I do not mean we choose to love. I mean that we choose to let us love or not. Or maybe better said, we choose the love we have over eclipsing it with human garbage. (had to use eclipse today ;-)
    The woman loves a man, after a few years it is deeper than amore  and more an agape or a partnership love. We determine to let love allow us to be part and parcel with the other. Empathy, sympathy and selfishness. Really a "one".
    Something happens that does not need be any blame or sin. And one party rejects love. Oh I guarantee they have to give up love of other things also. Like a switch that turns off the flow of love from others and God. And the flow out is just horribly transfered into resentment of all kinds true and some just made up to justify a cold heart.
    In your son's wife case it becomes obvious that she has lost sight of what is important and is letting worldly tangible things cover her with a cold kind of darkness.
    I tell you the love is still there. But not really because she has put a black out on that news. Can your son reignite the life, the candle in her heart. Probably not.
    Can another? Probably not.
    I was counting up because my elder son asked me and I have been in at least 25 countries. I have stayed at 5 stars and I have visited a place where 200,000 live in a dump and a place where it is not weird to see bodies floating by. But I have never seen a place without love. It is clearly her decision to block that out.
    But here is the fantastic news. Your son's innate and valued decision to be a loving person is not dictated by her. He must open his heart and love without return.
    For fun I think he ought a figure all the others he can love -- like you, you great mom!
    Maybe he might like down in "Luckenbock Texas." It reminds us that we have a ton of other people to love, starting with ourselves.
    Personally I like the God angle but that is not for everyone.

Interesting response. It provokes a lot of thought. I often wonder if that is two people that lose site of love and get caught up in-who knows what-but then realize-kinda of you don't know what you have until it is gone idea...maybe that can rekindle

4. Alan Grace profile image60
    Alan Graceposted 6 years ago

The word love is commonly used but it has a very deep meaning. In love you don't see faults, there is no conflict. The true definition of love https://goo.gl/PtzbmE

Is there no faults noticed and no conflicts or in true love do we just learn to resolve these and continue on?

2. Alan Grace profile image60
      Alan Graceposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When you completely attains flawless vision, the pure love will arise

3. Susan Sears profile image89

As a nurse, I see couples that have been married 50+ years. Do they not have true love? They see faults, but to me, love is in their eyes. Is it faultless or accepting of the flaws? Maybe a desire to look beyond them?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)