Quick Question about Google Algorithm

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 6 years ago

I know that in general a higher word count is looked upon favorably by the Google algorithm. Does anyone know if and when that reaches a point of diminishing returns where extra word count doesn't help any more?  I make my articles at least 1200 words because I heard way back when that was the minimum to shoot for (I'm sure it's probably different now).  Would google be more likely to notice your article if you were at 1300 words?  1500? 2500? Any ideas as to how high before it no longer matters?  (ex. Is it better to have one 4000 word article or to cut it into 2 2000 word articles).  Thanks!

1. Marketing Merit profile image95
      Marketing Meritposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think this will vary, depending upon which article you read. However, 2,416 words is what one site suggests. Unfortunately, no source is provided to verify this.

Also, I really think it depends upon your niche. Quite often, readers want answers and not waffle. Recipes is probably the best example of this.

2. Georgie Lowery profile image90
      Georgie Loweryposted 6 years agoin reply to this

My best hubs are around 3000 words and packed with info, no fluff. And, by best, I mean the hubs that pay me the most. This is what I’ve been told that Google looks for and repeated use of specific keywords is a no no. Someone here mentioned that you need to provide sources for your photos, and it’s always an extra brownie point to add other media, too. If you can also add a call to action, like a question, at the end to get folks to comment, even more Google brownie points come your way.

It’s a combination of many things, not just word count.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hi Georgie it is great to see you around! I was not even sure if you were participating in HP anymore. I hope all is going okay up that way.

2. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

No need to be too wordy. My experience is that you can get featured as little as 300 words. But most articles I write is between 1000-1500 words, along with a few well chosen images.

3. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

This is just my experience, but there aren't too many words for Google. Some of my older Hubs are maybe 1000 words long and have little traffic. My newer articles that range between 2500-5000 words get much, much more traffic and do exponentially better in Google.

4. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 6 years ago

And yes, I think it's a good tip to have at least 3 top quality, source-credited images within the article too. Too many photos can mess up readers' experience though. I've gone on articles that have like 30 pictures (the real click baity ones that show up in my newsfeeds) and OMG I can't get the dang page to load and give up. So to keep my click-through-rate safe I don't go over 5 images.

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

We're talking about two things here.

One, readers.  Readers today have a short attention span and they're impatient.  You need to convince them, in your very first paragraph, that you can answer the question or solve the problem they've got. So you can't afford to waffle!

But the other thing is Google.   If you don't please Google, then readers won't even see the Hub.  Google likes length.   The "sweet spot" used to be 1,500 words.   Recently, Paul posted to say it was worth going up to 2,500 words - but any longer than that, and the benefit starts tailing off.   

If you have more material than 2,500 words, then chances are you are ranging over more than one aspect of your topic, and there's an opportunity to split the information into two articles, giving your material double the chance of ranking.   Note, I don't mean splitting it in half and writing #1 and #2, I mean creating two Hubs, each one concentrating on a different aspect of the topic and titled accordingly.

I thought he had said 2000. Do you remember which forum post that was in?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Ah, you've made me doubt now.  Maybe it was 2000.

That is the number I have been shooting for. If an article is 2500 I doubt most of my readers are really going to go through the whole thing.

6. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 6 years ago

Wow, I've been shooting pretty low i guess.  Not sure where I got 1200 from.  Next round of updates I guess I could stand to add so.e material.  Thanks for all the feedback.  It was really helpful.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, the recommendation was "800 to 1500 words" for years and years.      So really, it's not surprising if that figure of 1200 stuck in your head!

It's only in the last year that anyone has recommended going over 1500 words.  Up till then, it was always believed that once you got over 1500 words, you'd be better off splitting the Hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)